Money in my account, Paypal scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd check your PP account separately, you may find there was no deposit - they just created a screen that looks like they did
then you refund them REAL money!

Don't reply to any emails that may be a scam. They might simply be looking for email addresses with a human behind them.
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I would tell the sender by email to take his issue up with Paypal. I would not refund the money directly to him. I'd be leery of one of those possible West African or Eastern European money scams.

The smaller the amount of money in there the greater the chance of it being a SCAM. If the explanation was something more believable like they bought a bike, etc. but the cancer story is over the top. Plus they have to enter the email address twice(?) I believe to confirm the transaction.

Collection agencies will send a very small check to someone that owes them money. When they cash it the collectors now have their bank account info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I would tell the sender by email to take his issue up with Paypal. I would not refund the money directly to him. I'd be leery of one of those possible West African or Eastern European money scams.

I'd agree with that. That's the whole point of PayPal, after all, is to provide the go-between.

Contact pay-pal and ask them to straighten it out. If they will not, wait 120 days for the fraudulent check or credit card to charge back the amount of the deposit. If after 120 days it is still in your account then and only then send the money back to them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A310
Take the money and run.:)

laugh.gif

Yep, this is a variation of the cell phone PIN scam. What happens in that case is you buy a prepaid cell PIN from a newish Ebay seller, then you apply it to your account, and it works fine. Then 1-2 months later, the cell phone company reverses the amount from your account because the PIN was purchased with a stolen credit card and the card's owner disputed the charge. You're out money.

Just ignore their pleas and leave the money in your paypal, because it's likely to be withdrawn from your account by Paypal later when they realize it was a fraudulent transfer. Then unlink your checking account from PP.

I contacted PP today and was told that both appear legitimate deposits.
they asked me repeatedly if I knew these people and agreed that the Cancer treatment email sounded suspicious. They said at various times to contact the people and ask why, then they were saying not to respond to the emails??

In short PP are confused and mystified.

I think I will wait 120 days and see what happens. If the money is still there after that it will go to charity. via PP.

That's a solid plan, and likely the best way to avoid getting scammed. Don't respond to the senders any further.

I would think you could return the money to them without losing any personal information. They already have your email address. Ask for their personal residential address. Wait the 120 days. Take the money out for yourself and mail it to them in cash.

If this is legit, they should have their property returned to them.

If this is legit, the senders could have PayPal reverse the transaction immediately, by themselves.

This is some kind of refund scam.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
It probably is a scam in the vein of a well known refund scam. Unless it's an auction payment I don't believe PayPal allows a direct refund option.

So what they're probably going to ask you to do is refund them out of your own balance to account for the fact that they accidentally sent you that money. Problem is PayPal will contact you later saying the money came from a stolen source and take that money out of your account. You've now lost twice that amount, they effectively "laundered" that stolen money by getting it from you as a payment you legitimately sent them of your own will.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back