Molyslip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through all the discussions on moly oils and moly additives (molyslip and mr moly) but there never seemed to be any consensus on if Molyslip was good or bad. One person (Molakule IIRC) seemed to say it was decent, while (Patman I think) decided it was horrible and would wait for his order of Schaeffers. Anyway, after reading through the data:

http://www.molyslip.com/Products/MolySlipE.html

The only thing that sounds bad is that it says "suspension" and not "solution". But other than that, it's just (the non oxidizing form of) moly in a carrier oil (isn't it?).

I bought two cans of this along with two 4 litre jugs of M1 Tri-Syn (SL) 5W-30 when I just started reading this board. Then I read some people saying clumps came out of their engines after using this stuff...

Anyway, my question is, what are your general thoughts on Molyslip. Also, with a 98 Civic Si (Canadian Si - D16Y8) with 86,000km (53,000mi), oil changes every 3-4,000km up till now with dino, should I be worried about clumps of sludge or whatever being caused by/dislodged by the Molyslip? Would getting some Auto-rx first be a good idea?

Any info, opinions, etc would be great, I'd like to know as much as possible before I put this (or not) in my engine. Thanks
smile.gif

Neil

My big concern with this product was that if mixed with another oil it might upset the balance of the additive package, resulting in an oil that wasn't as suitable for longer drain intervals, and this oil would end up having it's TBN drop faster. That's why I chose Schaeffers, since it has the moly I desire, and it's blended in there with just the right amount of other additives too.

I'm sure many people have had good results using Molyslip products over the years, however I just felt it wasn't right for my particular application.

Okay, well I imagine you know more than I do, but I checked the maxima.org info on virgin oil and the levels for the M1 Tri-Syn were very close to the levels of the ULX-110, except that the ULX-110 has 798 (ppm right?) of moly. Now assuming that there isn't anything weird about the carrier oil used with the Molyslip, do you think it would disrupt the balance? I imagine its pretty impossible to say, but what do you figure would be the most likely result if the oil additive balance was disrupted by this stuff? Thanks again.

BTW Patman, I'm not sure if its just because I'm new here (been reading the board for a month or so, just never posted, great board BTW), but you seem less jovial then usual in your post
wink.gif
But re-reading my post, it sounds like I'm saying you just decided on a whim or something that this stuff was bad, which was not what I meant...
smile.gif

r3n3g4d3.

You only read one post I pulled from another forum that a fellow said it came out in clumps,no others here has said that.

You asking for opinions mine is don't use it but if you do not only analyise it but cut your filter open after about 500 miles to see if clogged.

I think there is "a" MOA available that can be used successfully,,in a dino oil though. A analylisis of it coming soon.

Okay, well that's good to hear, maybe it was an isolated case...

Well with analysis and cutting filters apart at 500 miles (its a $17CDN K&N filter) I'd be much better off going through the hassle of mail ordering Redline or Schaeffers.

I guess to get a good oil with high ZDDP or some moly in this city (or country even), I either take my chances with adding stuff to my oil, or have it shipped in... I need to move
wink.gif

[ August 16, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: r3n3g4d3 ]

Standby my Canadian brethren(s), MolySlip virgin sample on the way...as long as I get my lazy-a$$ over to Crappy Tire and buy one
grin.gif

As for Synthetics in Canada, you got:

- Mobil Delvac 1 5W40
- Mobil 1 Tri-Syn.
- Petro Canada Full Synthetic 5W30
- Petro Canada Duron 5W40

There are others, but these are the ones that I recommend.

Regards,

Oz

Patman:
Yes, very true. I'm just hoping that since the stuff listed there (besides base oil) is similar that the moly won't unbalance it...

Well I'll definitly try a short interval first, I was probably only going to go 5000kms on this anyway (like I said, I normally change every 3000km because my Dad would give me S#!7 if I went longer, even though its my car...)

By the time I put that stuff in and get to 3000mi I'll probably get an analysis done (especially if I keep reading this board, I really started looking forward to changing oil after coming here
smile.gif
) but I haven't done it before, and probably won't bother for the Castrol Syntec I have in right now, so I won't have a baseline besides the numbers the lab has.

I would imagine they have it, I usually went to Canadian Tire, though to get the K&N filter I've had to start going to Part Source, so I've never looked at Walmart for oil.

offtopic.gif
I really like to avoid Walmart as much as possible, the last time I went there I couldn't go two steps without almost being run over (either in the parking lot or the store). I swear people leave their ability to walk and be polite at the door. In Winnipeg anyway
smile.gif

Yeah I need a low pour point. I can usually plug in my car, but at the University sometimes they decide that they want to cycle the power when its -35C out. Or if I go out somewhere without a plug for more than a couple of hours... Hey, Ontario isn't THAT much warmer!!
wink.gif

Dragboat:

I'll be watching the oil analysis closely to see what this additive of your friend's can do
smile.gif

quote:

By the time I put that stuff in and get to 3000mi I'll probably get an analysis done (especially if I keep reading this board, I really started looking forward to changing oil after coming here )

Hehe, people on here are going to think I'm nuts, but I have actually been purposely putting on more mileage on my car just to get my oil intervals over with quicker so I can get my oil analysis results!
grin.gif

quote:

I really like to avoid Walmart as much as possible, the last time I went there I couldn't go two steps without almost being run over (either in the parking lot or the store). I swear people leave their ability to walk and be polite at the door. In Winnipeg anyway

It's EXACTLY the same here in Ontario! That's why I always go to Walmart first thing in the morning on Saturdays. On the few times I've been stuck going there in the middle of the day on the weekend, it's mayhem!

quote:

Hehe, people on here are going to think I'm nuts, but I have actually been purposely putting on more mileage on my car just to get my oil intervals over with quicker so I can get my oil analysis results!

You're not alone...

biggthumbcoffe.gif

Oz

The_Oz:

Great! I've only got 1000km on my current oil, and two weeks until I go back to classes (and driving 90km a day). Should be enough time to find out whats in this stuff other than the moly
smile.gif

I've never seen much on the Delvac, or the Petro Can stuff either. I've got at least two oil changes of M1 Tri-Syn, which will probably last me awhile. So I guess I'll just keep reading stuff here until I need to buy something new.

I don't think people on here are going to think you're nuts, I think "normal" people are going to think everyone on here is nuts
wink.gif
I know what you mean though, I want to put on more kms so I can change the oil, but at the same time I don't want to have to pay for all the gas to do it
smile.gif

Getting up early on Saturdays!! I'm not sure I can manage that...
smile.gif
One thing I've noticed is that the Walmarts that are a part of a mall and not a standalone seem to be a little better, though I'm not sure why.
confused.gif
grin.gif

One other thing I've noticed is that I seem to use way too many smilies. (I'd put a smiley here but...)

I'm up early every day of the week, even Saturdays! Believe it or not I consider it sleeping in if I'm still in bed at 6am! Most days I'm up just after 5am. This morning I was up at 4:30am. I just like to get up early to get a jump on the day, and get more oil knowledge!
smile.gif

I'll be very interested in seeing your oil analysis results on this Molyslip. I wonder just how much moly will show up on the final results. In my other thread I posted how much moly was in that small can, but obviously it won't be that strong when mixed with the full crankcase of a non moly motor oil.

"MolySlip is a collodial suspension of molybdenum
disulfide (MoS2) in a high grade, multi-viscosity engine
oil that contains anti-foam agents and corrosion
inhibitors. It is NOT an oil modifier. It uses the engine
oil to carry the 0.5 micron particles (that's 0.0005 mm
diameter) of MoS2 to critical engine components."

I think what I said was that I prefer the Molbdenum Dithiocarbamate found in Schaeffer's
Oil additive (#132) and found in their formulations.

What bothered me was the fact they are reporting the Moly to be in a Multivis Oil carrier
with anti-foam and corrosion additives. Your standard oil formulations already contain anti-foam
agents, and you have to careful with the corrosion additves such that the concentrations of that additive don't affect the other additives. Most organometallic compounds are already anticorrosion compounds because they coat metals, so why a corrosion additive unless their
sulfides have a tendency to form sulfuric acids?

And what is the SAE multiviscosity? Mulitvis' contain VII's as well.

Quote:
"so why a corrosion additive unless their
sulfides have a tendency to form sulfuric acids?"

Good point! I consider that a stake driven into the moly's heart! He He ! Of course,imo only

Well, I have decided that I am going to move to Canada. I am either going to continue to sell oil or maybe I will become a car salesman. Either way I will make enough to retire on by selling to Patman and his Canadian breathern.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Well, I have decided that I am going to move to Canada. I am either going to continue to sell oil or maybe I will become a car salesman. Either way I will make enough to retire on by selling to Patman and his Canadian breathern.
grin.gif

hehe, you could make a fortune just on me alone! Come on up!
smile.gif

Dragboat,

I think you may have misunderstood my comment.

"Good point! I consider that a stake driven into the moly's heart! He He ! Of course,imo only "

The Moly dithiocarbamate in Schaeffer's, for example, was developed to improve the stability of MOS2 compounds. A guy in England named Mitchell, (an organic chemist) was working on pharmaceuticals attempting to stabilize vitamins and such. He found dithiocarbamates to be much more stable. Some oil additive company gave him a grant to go further and study the effect it would have on metal FM additives, and well, you know the rest of of the story. He developed a very stable Moly called Molybdenum dithiocarbamate.

The sulfuric acids that might be produced in MolySlip by oxidation or "dissasociation" would be small.

The sulfuric acids produced by Schaeffer's Moly would be almost non-existent, because of its stability.

Me? Less jovial? Never!
fruit.gif

Even though the virgin analysis numbers may have looked similar, there is more to an oil than just what is listed there. Even if the additive package listed there has similar ppm for everything, there is also the base oil to consider, along with other factors.

That being said, you'd probably be ok, but I recommend if you're gonna use this product, try out a short 3k interval first and have it analyzed to be sure that it doesn't pose a problem.

R3N,
Delvac1 and the Delvac1300 in in your country now is it not? The 1300 has high ZDDP. But I forgot about the winters you have to deal with.So why not Supersyn only? Is this a race car?

Canada has a seemingly very good oil "synthetic" available but I forget the name,maybe Patman knows

Petrol Canada maybe? It is on the board somewhere,finding it is another story without a name.

Did the thought of using less expensisve oil filter for 500 miles pass you by?
smile.gif

Anyway,good luck in whatec\ver you decide

[ August 16, 2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I don't know about in Winnipeg Walmarts, but here in Ontario our Walmarts carry Delvac 1, it's $36 CDN for a 4L jug.

And it gets very very cold in Winnipeg, so he'll definitely need an oil with a low pour point. They don't call that city Winterpeg for nothin!
tongue.gif

I would never add anything to the balanced formula that the oil maker puts in it. Stay with a good well tested oil. As MoleKule says, adding anything like this disrupts the balance, displacing or competing for additives. You need a well run study to prove anything beneficial. Even one or two analysis won't do it justice. You need several consecutive ones where your driving is the same, the weather is the same, your air and oil filters are the same, etc. There are a lot of things that won't show up on an analysis. Also, although in this case I would doubt that it applies, You can have an oil that has a lot of debri and tests with little wear. I have a test of an oil with metal I could see in the bottom of the bottle before sending to the lab (and move with a magnet) that showed only 70ppm of iron. The labs only see what is under about 5 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back