molyslip manual transmission additive..yes or no??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2003 acura rsx-r. I also bought a tube of molyslip (molybendum) for manual transmissions. Will it hurt, help, or do nothing?? I just dont wanna wreck the tranny. Any former/present users have ant suggestions??

I wouldn't use it in Honda MTF trannnie fluid if I were you, for it will definitely upset the already balanced additive blend within.

Honda is known for excellent MT gear box designs, if not one of the best out there. They have to mate with Honda MTF fluid.

If you want performance or worrying about cold, you can research for Idemitsu Honda MTF semi-syn (I'm using it in my fit right now).

don't play scientist if you want your car to last. The synchro rings in M/T gearbox requires a bit friction to shift properly. Adding non-factory approved gearbox additives that will upset the synchro rings while shifting...

Q.

(*if you wanna go full out: I believe about 1.5yrs ago Honda Japan already has a full-syn Honda MTF-II (or was it III? cannot recall) available from their appointed OE fluid supplier (Idemitsu) in Japan... see if you can get them in Canada*)

You do not HAVE to use Honda MTF in your transmission, I have tried all sorts of things in my Honda transmission, Pennzoil synchromesh, 10w30 castrol gtx, Honda mtf, Amsoil synchromesh, redline and GM oem friction modified synchromesh. None of those have made it blow up, still shifts the same...

And the GTX made it shift the same as the Honda MTF over the 5k run I did with each, that was the last time I bought Honda MTF.

thanks for the info....i am worried about cold weather, so i was leaning towards synthetic....thot maybe the moly may help with that too, but if it needs the friction, maybe best to leave it out

Just change it out to Honda MTF-II, which is semi-syn supplied by Idemitsu.

Guaranteed -30C to be fine also (did 1 week in Alberta's winter last year in my fit).

Q.

Like in your other post about this, be concerned about synchronizer slippage with the moly additive.
You want grab here, not slip.
Other parts would most likely benefit from the moly, but the shifting could be far worse.

Like mechtech2 said, don't use it in a MT.

Moly will compete with the FM included in the MT formulation and coat and imbed itself in carbon composite synchronizers, interferring with the coefficient of friction needed for synchronizer assemblies.

I will Agree with Molakule, I have moly additive in my tranny. 4th gear syncro is missing it if I shift quick. Same story with my Fathers truck, but 1st gear. It started doing it after couple month. First he said it shifts better than ever, he got that truck brand new, then 1st gear syncro started acting weird,and again only if you shift quick. My tranny wasn't perfect since I got this car, so I wasn't sure. My Dad's truck--may blame it on moly, maybe age and mileage. It is 06 Frontier with close to 100k miles, same gear oil and same additive as in my sig. Don't think I'll drain it soon, since it is synthetic and not cheap, but won't add MoS2 for gears there next time, for sure. It will probably do a good job in differential.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
It will probably do a good job in differential.

As long as it does NOT have a clutch-pack type limited slip in the pumpkin.
wink.gif

read the directions carefully.

make sure you don't have a LSD.

not sure if it's good for synchros which need friction, but the manual transmission molyslip is not composed of MoS2 probably.

if your MT is working well, why take the risk (instead of going exactly with the prescribed viscosities) however small it may be. What aspect of it are you trying to improve?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back