molyslip manual transmission additive compatibilit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Pennzoil GL-4 in my 1963 Series II Land Rover trans/transfer case. [GL-5 not recommended because there are yellow metal parts.] Is MolySlip Manual Transmission Additive compatible with the Pennzoil. Any comments on implications would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I wouldn't put a compound containing large amounts of MoS2 in a synchronized manual transmission. Synchronizers require friction in order to work, the MoS2 can in theory coat the synchronizers and cause them to work less efficiently resulting in poor shifting performance/feel.

Keep with the GL-4 gear oil. Redline and Amsoil both make some great gear oils that can improve shifting if necessary. Pennzoil Synchromesh is also an option if this trans specs GL-4. I wouldn't put 100% synchromesh in it, but you could perhaps substitute 10-20% of the total fluid volume with synchromesh and see how it does.

Thanks. Actually, the LR Series trans is an older beast without syncromesh in first gear, but does have 2-4, plus I have an overdrive unit that adds 1/2 gear up to all transmission gears. Sounds like the advice still holds.

An update. After some careful additional checking with LRover following your caution, I did put MolySlip into my LR Series II Trans/Tfr.Case/Overdrive with the Pennzoil GL-4. It worked fine, smoothed shifting and probably saved the Tfr.Case from melting when once it lost the fill plug and then oil.
So my next question derives from having moved to RedLine MT-90 instead of Pennzoil. Any possible chemical incompatibilities between it and the MSlip vs. my Pennzoil experience?
Doug

Why are you moving from a Pennzoil Synchromesh, a 9.3 cSt fluid, to a 75W90 MT-90 at 15 cSt?

MolySlip is a MOS2 powder suspension.

What the others said about moly is correct. Moly "competes" with the friction modifiers in a dedicated GL-4 MT fluid. Not a good idea in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back