Molyslip (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there is another version of the additive that is called Molyslip The Engine Protection. Interesting that unlike Molyslip E, the label indicates: "M contains a unique blend of super slippery MoS2, graphite and Molybdenum compounds ....

The additive is made by Holt Llyod Ltd. Wilmslow, Cheshire. Marketed under exclusive licence from SlipProduct and Engineering Co. Ltd. Made in England."

What may these Molybdenum compounds represent ? Type of a soluble form of moly ?

MoS2 is an insoluble form of Molybdenum, and will most likely fall to the bottom of your oil pan.

Graphite in an aluminum engine block with the possibility of water floating around - I don't like it.

Molybdenum compounds? See above...they are trying to say the same thing twice.

Not sounding to good to me.
dunno.gif

"Molybdenum compounds? See above...they are trying to say the same thing twice."

Then, it would have to be composed of

- 50 % Molyslip E
- 25 % Marly graphited oil
- 25 % blend of Molyslip E and Liqui-Moly MoS2 additives
laugh.gif

Quote:

MoS2 is an insoluble form of Molybdenum, and will most likely fall to the bottom of your oil pan.

I thought that colloidal suspension of insoluble particles had been around for a long time..... Why then always come back with these same arguments? Do "modern" MoS2 additives really cause any known troubles today??? It seems like me asking the forum whether GL5 transmission oils were corrosive to yellow metals: they were in the past but no more now, they're safe but people still stick to the old view. So can Molyslip really fall in the oil pan? Any proof, pics of that?

Yes, it's still unstable. Tests made with MoS2 showed that it may be quite stable till certain moment, but with oil ageing it starts to drop out. Besides, if in a combustion chamber, due to a chemical reaction it becomes abrasive. May be this is the reason why this Molyslip is not 100 % MoS2, but a blend with graphite and, sounds like, a soluble form of Moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back