Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen alot of post reguarding Moly. What is it? How come some oils have it and others don't? Is it good or bad? If so what oils have or do not have it?

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Antiwear additive. Check out the Virgin oil samples section. Patman used to go crazy for oils that had it!

Who would've imagined back in 2002, that in 2004 my oil shrine would be fully stocked with an oil that has zero moly in it?
gr_eek2.gif
gr_stretch.gif

yeah, you like the green gummybear additive better
cheers.gif

Blackstone should add it to the additives they test for....Green Gummybear: 544 ppm

[ June 16, 2004, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: cweed ]

The thread Molakule refers to is excellent. Add molybdenum dialkyl dithiophosphate as well. As you can tell "moly" has many forms. The chemistry behind it all is Way complicated and as with all formulations the whole package needs to be taken into account.
Soluble moly with stabilizers has a coefficient friction of .04 to .08. Chevron-tex have done extensive studies showing that Organo -moly soluble compounds can reduce an engines coefficient of friction by up to %80. Similar studies have shown an energy reduction of %5. The use of the proper "moly" is a friction modifier, enhances zddp as An a/w agent and friction reduction modifier. Moly enhances a lubricants resistance to oxidation and is highly acid resistant. Will Plate up on metals up to 1.2 microns. Withstands up to 500,00 psi.

To answer your qusetion why some do and some don't it could be the expense. It takes 2000lbs of mined molybdenite to produce just 4 to 6 pounds of moly disulfide.From there an extensive refining process for the various types of moly and there specfic uses.

I have a new '04 Honda CRV. For my first oil change, I would like to use an oil that is known to be high in Moly....since apparently, this is what makes a break-in oil a "break in oil". I might change my oil a wee bit earlier than recommended for this first change..which is why I would like to maintain a fairly high moly %.

What are the oils that are known to have this higher % of moly?

quote:

Originally posted by Kelton:
I have a new '04 Honda CRV. For my first oil change, I would like to use an oil that is known to be high in Moly....since apparently, this is what makes a break-in oil a "break in oil". I might change my oil a wee bit earlier than recommended for this first change..which is why I would like to maintain a fairly high moly %.

What are the oils that are known to have this higher % of moly?

huh? this is the first i heard that moly is what makes break-in oil a break-in oil.... Moly reduces friction, from what i understood you want some friction in your break-in oil. Btw, RL is super high in moly, but RL themselves do not recommend you use it to break-in your engine.... If you insist on having moly in your break-in oil, i would use castrol gtx, its relatively clean and has some small amount of moly in it....

Valvoline's Synthetic MaxLife is loaded with Moly. Want even more...add the Valvoline Engine Protectant oil additive. Expensive in essence, yes. But you'll be loaded with moly!

quote:

this is the first i heard that moly is what makes break-in oil a break-in oil

The oil Honda puts in the car at the factory is high in moly and they suggest keeping it in the crankcase until the first scheduled oil change.

quote:

I have a new '04 Honda CRV. For my first oil change, I would like to use an oil that is known to be high in Moly

A high moly oil you can use in your Honda is as close as your Honda dealer. Search the "Virgin Oil Analysis" forum and I think you'll find at least one Honda factory fill VOA.

Interesting, I had no idea moly was recommended for break-ins.... i learn a new thing here each day
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back