Moly vs wear metals

Has anyone compared how high moly affects wear metals? It seems I've seen lots of UOAs with low moly and low wear metals, and plenty with high moly and high wear metals (and vice versa). Just curious if anyone has done a deep dive in how moly affects wear. I'd prefer a UOA with very low wear metals than one that shows high moly and other additives. It would be great if Blackstone, with its huge database of results, could do some sort of analysis on which additives had the most positive effect on wear.

A UOA is for trending and looking for coolant leaks, with a comparison to a VOA of the same oil used.

I seriously doubt correlations can be made between wear and additive levels with a $30 analysis.

Last edited:
My thoughts too. Just wanted to get feedback because of all the hype around moly and oils with high moly levels. Some of the best UOAs I've seen here in terms of wear metals had very low moly content.

My thoughts too. Just wanted to get feedback because of all the hype around moly and oils with high moly levels. Some of the best UOAs I've seen here in terms of wear metals had very low moly content.
Well don’t confuse hype with something that has technical evidence but isn’t shown through a UOA. As MolaKule noted a $30 spectrographic analysis doesn’t constitute an actual wear test. Your observation of “wear metals” is more a function of the specific engine and the operating conditions rather than the oil.

That’s because approvals, licenses and certifications are what matter. Not “Molly”.

Back