Moly Separation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IN the latest Amsoil Action News Magazine (aka Action BS LOL..just kidding) a guy claimed he wasn't happy with Royal Purple. He described what Amsoil said was "Moly Separation.." He also said people at the oil company (not mentioned) had heard some claims of this separation in NASCAR and NHRA, but said it would not hurt the motor. Any clue as to what moly separation is?

Moly sludge LOL?? They most likley use the correct oil soluble Vanlube products and seperation should not be an issue unless the used disspersed micro fine moly powder which will settle. More likley what they are talking about is that high PAO, GPIII content oils have bad solubility with additives unless esters or AN's are added to help solubilize the additives. Over time and depending on temp fallout will ocur moly or ZDDP. If you shake bottle or run engine enough the additives will re mix and most likey not cause any harm.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
IN the latest Amsoil Action News Magazine (aka Action BS LOL..just kidding) a

There is alot of information ,but the testamonials are a bunch of crap.

Third party said such and such and hearsay upon hearsay.
mad.gif

Soluble MoDTC or MoDTP has no separation problems that I am aware of.

Even the newer moly disulfide powders stay in suspension very well.

There is no current soluble moly additized oil including RP that is showing that problem.

Sounds like urban/internet legend trash to me.

I just finished changing my Daughter's Mazda today. She had 4,600 miles on 5W30 Royal Purple. We replaced it with the same oil. I will get a UOA and Dyson Analysis read on this one.

Buster, sorry I was not on the Board earlier, or I may have put another oil in her car after hearing about the moly separating.
pat.gif

I am so worried about it, I had her go pick up another case of 5W30 Royal Purple while the price is still $4.29 a quart.
cheers.gif

It's really ridiculous that Amsoil metions things like this in it's News Letter when it's entirely false. I remember first joining this board and at that time, Terry/Molekule/Bob had nothing but good things to say about Moly. It seemed Schaeffer's and a few others were the only ones using it. Now, almost every OTC oil contains Moly and it's turned out to be, from what I've seen, one of the best multifuctional additives. Thanks for the clarification though, I had a feeling it was BS. Companies that engage in scare tactics anger me.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:

I am so worried about it, I had her go pick up another case of 5W30 Royal Purple while the price is still $4.29 a quart.
cheers.gif
[/QB]

59VM: Where is RP on sale for 4.29 a qt. At that price I might give it a try.

pbm,

It is a local parts store here. That is there everyday price. By the quart or case. All weights. They do not carry the RP Race oils.

Pablo, read the latest issue. It's in there. The guy races lawn mowers LOL and something else. It's not an official Amsoil statement as they were careful not to word it that way but it's still a ridiculous statement IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Pablo, read the latest issue. It's in there. The guy races lawn mowers LOL and something else. It's not an official Amsoil statement as they were careful not to word it that way but it's still a ridiculous statement IMO.

At least the guy found a good use for lawn mowers.
grin.gif

Don't believe for minute that Amsoil would let a "testimonial" letter be poublished in their rag that had a message the didn't want to get out.

It's an easy no-risk way for them to make false statements about their competition.

Pablo,

I think at some time or another oil companies have a problem with a product. Some Companies take care of the problem and all is well. I had this happen with a Two-cycle oil a few years ago. I did not mention brand, but it was not Royal Purple or Schaeffer's. And I assure you it would not appear in the Action News from Amsoil.

I do not use that brand anymore, I use Synergyn, Pennzoil 100% synthetic and Royal Purple Full Synthetic.

2-Cycle Oil Separation

I have seen dyes settle out and some of the components polymerize in some older synthetics (Amsoil Gear Lube), but never have heard of oil soluble MoDTC's ever separating or "settling" out.

Just a very sneaky way for Amsoil to slam another competitor.

Amsoil should have noted the time frame and actual events. They never said it was MoDTC.

I'm not so sure it was a sneaky slam, more of a "we'll print anything" in these testimonials.

Here's what you guys should do. Go to the Amsoil tech question web page and call them on this. In your own words, just call BS and ask for facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back