moly oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. I'm new. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Many people use Mobil 1 to oil and coat the exterior metal of their guns. There are some homemade mixes of Mobil 1 and auto transmission fluid and Marvel mystery oil.
How about a PetroMoly 10w-30 mix?

Slow down tomm......take a breath.

What exactly do you want to know as you have mixed numerous thoughts together here.

(Many people here have tried mixes of oils and such.)

Many people use engine oils for their guns. Problem with some engine oils is they can be too thick when it is very cold outside, especially a 10W30 if used for oiling a trigger. You'd be better off with a 0W20, or using MMO or a "gun oil". Keep away from Teflon Gun Oils, especially if you plan on oiling the barrel with it.

Why not just use M-PRO7? Works great in every weapon I own. Has law enforcement and military endorsements? Yeah its expensive but its made for your gun(s) not your rifle, your transmission, power steering....... Just saying

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Many people use engine oils for their guns. Problem with some engine oils is they can be too thick when it is very cold outside, especially a 10W30 if used for oiling a trigger. You'd be better off with a 0W20, or using MMO or a "gun oil". Keep away from Teflon Gun Oils, especially if you plan on oiling the barrel with it.

I think all commonly available engine oils are too thin for guns. Even thick gear oil is almost too thin for me.

What's wrong with Teflon in the barrel?

IIRC when Teflon is met with the pressure, heat, flame and friction caused by firing a bullet it gives off a poisionous gas which is harmful to the shooter, and the residue is bad for the barrel. I recall reading about it on a benchrest shooters forum, sorry I don't know the name of the gas it produces.

I never heard about engine oils being to thin for a weapon, it was just the opposite, especially for triggers. But for coating a weapon for storage that's another story.

If it works stick with it. A gunsmith told me to use grease on the bolt lugs, and thin oil like MMO for the trigger. But like everything else there are different schools of thought.

One thing I can tell you for sure is WD40 will never touch my triggers or rifles ever again. I used WD40 to lube a trigger assembly on a rifle. I put it away for probably 5 years, oiled up everything else real well. No problems with rust, but the WD40 formed a varnish and really messed up the trigger, as in hang fires, not good. Triggers I oiled with MMO never gave me problems. Others I know from the shooting crowd have reported similar problems. Then there are guys who swear WD40 is the greatest. I won't ever use it again on a rifle!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
IIRC when Teflon is met with the pressure, heat, flame and friction caused by firing a bullet it gives off a poisionous gas which is harmful to the shooter, and the residue is bad for the barrel. I recall reading about it on a benchrest shooters forum, sorry I don't know the name of the gas it produces.

It's supposed to give off a fluorine gas but unless you keep your barrel at 600F for like an hour, there isn't much to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
It's supposed to give off a fluorine gas but unless you keep your barrel at 600F for like an hour, there isn't much to worry about.

Hmm, you should get tested for polymer fume fever, just in case...

This always turns into a firestorm of disagreements. Suffice it to say a 1911 will put 10's of thousands of rounds through it with Say FP-10 which is about a 10 wt oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back