Moly observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in contact with a few guys via PM, discussing Molyb. I got my hands on some UF Molybdenum Disulfide and tried a little experiment with it. I mixed it up at about a 1500 ppm dose in the same oil that I've been using in my mower for the past few years. I added it to the oil in the mower and ran it. I didn't change the oil, this oil has been used since the start of the season, reason being a fresh fill could have possibly had an impact on the results. This mower would always smoke a little upon starting it up. During the past several start ups the smoke is totally gone, as in 100%. I have a feeling that the moly does some internal plating, at least that is what I've read. Perhaps the plating fills in tiny imperfections as well as acts as a lube and AW agent?

As a side note the Molyb mix is sitting in the oil bottle I mixed it in and it has not totally settled out of suspension yet, its over 3 weeks now.

Just thought I'd toss that out there to anyone interested in Molyb.

No. I took UF Molybdenum Disulfide that shooters use to coat bullets and mixed it with a small blender into oil. Then I shook it well and added it to the mower and used the mower for about 30 minutes. It was after that period that I noticed the mower stopped smoking upon restart. It is about 3 weeks since I added it to the mower and the start up smoke is completely gone. It is to early to come to any real conculsions, that is why I tossed it out here to get feedback.

I am thinking about adding it to the 93 Aerostar next time I have to top off the oil.

If you're interested in the product PM me and I will send you a link to the product.

If you add it to the Aerostar what results are you looking for? Does the Aerostar smoke too? I am presuming this is the Uranium TetraFluoride(UF4) you are talking about?

UF= Ultra fine, it is the grade of Molybdenum Disulfide that moly won't get caught in the oil filter. The Aerostar uses about a qt of oil in 3500 miles, no smoking. I've been reading up about the benefits of moly and I'm bored I guess. I was toying around with seeing if it would reduce the oil use. The engine should be clean I did two A-Rx clean and rinse phases, so the moly would have a fighting chance of "plating".

Ah, got it. I have always been a fan of Moly. I have used Tufoil and cut open filters with no problems what so ever.
27.gif

Not sure what to expect if anything should I decide to try it in the Aerostar. There is a thread running 10 pages on another board about molyb, a friend pointed me to and it seems very interesting. A few members had great success with it so what the he..ll

I asked/searched about Boron Nitride as an oil add, and was told by a person that it could collect on spark plugs. He didn't have an explaination as to why. I'm wondering how it could collect on spark plugs if it was added to oil in a sound engine? Anyone know if this is possible? I could see that happening in an oil burner, but not a sound running engine.

AD

in general all additives in the oil, as well as the oil itself potentially leave deposits on the sparkplugs and combustion chambers.

Thanks Steve, so from the sound of it, it would be nothing out of the ordinary, and nothing to worry about?

AD

Moly, including the liquid soluble compounds such as Molybdenum Trialkyldithiocarbamate (MoTDC), combines with the ZDDP to form a wear preventive film on engine parts that is not only harder than the film the ZDDP forms but is also lower friction. The zinc and moly compounds all contain sulfur if they have sulfide or "thio" in the compound names, and there is a sulfur limit in the oil specs for modern engines. There are some other moly compounds being used, "Organomolybdenum complex of organic esters - Specific
Chemical Identity Withheld as Trade Secret Specific
Chemical Identity withheld (trade secret)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back