Moly in Rotella?

Does the new CJ-4 Rotella in 5w40 contain molybdenum? Anyone have a VOA for this oil? I want to run it in my bike but I wanna make sure it will not screw up my clutch.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Does the new CJ-4 Rotella in 5w40 contain molybdenum? Anyone have a VOA for this oil? I want to run it in my bike but I wanna make sure it will not screw up my clutch.
There's a UOA about halfway down page 2 of this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1485632&fpart=2 Moly looks like its about twice the old (CI) formula, but still only 40 PPM. I don't know if that's enough to cause problems in a bike clutch or not.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I'm pretty sure the 15W-40 conventional doesn't have any moly. I've been running it the past few cycles, and my latest UOA has a moly count of 3ppm (see here). (Note: moly numbers early in my UOA cycles were due to what was applied at the factory. They've been declining ever since.) I can't speak directly to the 5W-40 synthetic. It may well be that they have a *slightly* different formulation for the synthetic. But in any case, I think Delo is the only HDEO that has moly numbers up in the triple-digit range. If Rotella (or Delvac) do, it's down in the double-digit range, maybe even lower. And based on everything I've read, that much won't affect the clutch.

The soluble moly in modern oils is a non-issue regarding wet clutches. The "no-moly" comes from older oils that had MoS2, like the ARCO Graphite stuff.