Moly in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a question for everyone. I presently started using Castrol GTX 10w30 in both of my vehicles. Does it contain a lot of Moly? Is that good or bad? I use to use QS 10w30 before Castrol. Should I stick with Castrol? I'm open to your opinions/ Thanks
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Big Red:
Have a question for everyone. I presently started using Castrol GTX 10w30 in both of my vehicles. Does it contain a lot of Moly? Is that good or bad? I use to use QS 10w30 before Castrol. Should I stick with Castrol? I'm open to your opinions/ Thanks
confused.gif

If you're asking if "Moly is good/bad for the engine", I'd say No. Molybdenum is an anti-wear additive that I would consider as an alternative to Zinc - which is commonly used. Check this for more info:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly.html

Regards,

Oz

No, moly is good, whether in gear oil such as Moly disulfide, or in motor oil, as in Molbdenum dithiocarbamate.

From http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000127

it appears that Castrol has about 60 ppm of moly.

Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 10W30 has about 170 ppm of moly.

Mobil 1 10W30 SuperSyn has about 80 ppm of moly.

As I have stated elsewhere, the moly content of approximately 80 to 400 ppm should be sufficient.

Why differeing amounts of moly?
1. Cost
2. Different base oils and additive packages.

Thanks for the replies. I am still wondering if I can buy a better dino oil than Castrol? I want the best dino for my vehicles.
Thanks again guys

Big Red, you can't go wrong with Castrol for dino oil, as their GTX is very good (better than their Syntec, IMO) I'd also have to say that Pennzoil makes a great dino oil too. I'd actually have a hard time deciding between those two if I ran dino, they are both so close.

Starting to think this myself Patman but why is Chevron so well thought of, no moly right?
spaz.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
Starting to think this myself Patman but why is Chevron so well thought of, no moly right?
spaz.gif

I think Chevron is highly regarded as one of the best value oils. I remember seeing the Chrvron at $1.08 while the Castrol or Pennzoil is around the $1.70 mark at the same store.

The Chevron is a good oil but during a period when SL was new we did not have any analyisis to go by so we were looking at the base oils. Then,Chevron and Conoco/Motorcraft looked ahead until some tests came in showing Pennzoil and Castrol contained moly and Johnny posted information on some things about hydrocracking for us,thanks Johnny!
Is 40-70 ppm of moly and lower zinc enough to out gun those Chevron and Motorcraft oils? It would take more anaylisis than we have to try to figure it out

I think the Chevron and Havoline oils are getting good reviews simply because their specs look good on paper. Although we have yet to see an oil analysis on here that I can recall.

Man, Autozone has sharply increased the price of oil. Mobile Drive Clean Blend about 2.50 a quart,Havoline Dino 1.47,Castrol GTX 1.79 ect and the Mobil 10/40 M/C oil 7.99 a quart!Supersyn 5.59 a quart

Walmart,Pennzoil 6.88 for a 5 quart jug,GTX 6.47 5 quart jug,8.96 for 8 pack of Pennzoil quarts,Havoline" Equillon" 96 cents,Phillips Trop Artic 92 cents,Quaker State Peak almost 2 bucks a quart. Supersyn 4.03"no 0-40
frown.gif
",Syntech 3.99
grin.gif

Motorcraft 1.33 a quart still as always

I'm on my second fill of Chevron Supreme 10W30. In about 1500 miles I'll be due for another change. When I drain the third fill I plan on sending a sample to Terry for analysis.

I'll make sure to post the results here. It will probably be a few months until I rack up the miles but I will post the results.

I started running this oil in two of my vehicles. I'm curious to see the results.

Patman
Thanks
grin.gif
for your opinion. I guess I will stick with Castrol GTX. I'm curious to see the results of the Chevron oil results that SSMOKN is now using. I must admit from what others said, Chevron seems also to be a good oil. You can't beat the Walmart price $1.08 quart.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I think the Chevron and Havoline oils are getting good reviews simply because their specs look good on paper. Although we have yet to see an oil analysis on here that I can recall.

Patman,

I don't think I'll be running a baseline analysis on my current Havoline 5W40. I'd rather spend the extra $10CAD on the Delvac 1 on my next oil change, and finally start a trend analysis on it.

Regards,

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back