Moly in motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people at this site agree that Moly in motor oil is really good-that it reduces friction and wear. How were they able to make Moly in motor oils effective but the old Moly oil additives did not seem to work?

On a somewhat related issue, there used to be at least one graphite motor oil, and there were some graphite oil additives. But graphite in motor oils apparently was not effective-as far as I know there are no graphite motor oils today. Why did graphite not work?

"On a somewhat related issue, there used to be at least one graphite motor oil, and there were some graphite oil additives. But graphite in motor oils apparently was not effective-as far as I know there are no graphite motor oils today. Why did graphite not work?"

There were a couple of factors while Arco Graphite did not catch on. The biggest reason that I can think of even today with a lot more accurate information at our finger tips due to the internet is that people do not want to use a black oil. People also stated that Graphite would clog oil passages, I do not know about that though. Some other members will chime in about their experience with Arco Graphite I am sure.

I used ARCO Graphite oil for 6 years in my 1979 Olds Cutlass Salon V8 5speed manual.

I noticed no harm from that oil but then no real benefit either.

Maybe the "no benefit" thing killed it off. It did STAIN everything it touched too! BAD!!!

Originally Posted By: ammolab
It did STAIN everything it touched too! BAD!!!

Even when you stopped using it new oil would always turn black.

Quote:
How were they able to make Moly in motor oils effective but the old Moly oil additives did not seem to work?

It was chemistry. They were able to go from a suspended MoS2 particulate to a soluble Moly in the form of a dithiocarbamate (DTC).

The suspended particulates are just fine for differentials.

What old moly oil additives did not work?
BTW, the new types can also be suspended and work very well.[Lubro Moly/Liqui Moly]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back