Moly in Engine Oils - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If an oil analysis is performed on a new engine oil and Molybdenum is present, is it assumed to be the dicarbamate form (as in Schaeffers) or could it be one of the others forms mentioned on this board in a not-so-positive light? Thanks in advance for your replies!

I wouldn't be too concerned with a new engine.

One could always run a 3k interval with a dino non-moly oil and determine the worst-case ring wear with a UOA.

Good Question.

The oil analysis instruments detects the TOTAL number of moly atoms in the mix, it would not differentiate between the original TYPE or FORM of moly.

Edit: The total moly showing up in the analysis would come from piston ring wear PLUS the moly additive, minus the moly that was "uptaken" to internal parts. A virgin oil analysis should be run on the formulated oil so when a used oil analsis is done, one can determine what is ring wear and what is moly additive.

[ December 16, 2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

If reading that right, as oil from a new engine, I would assume it's from an engine component (likely rings), or a factory fill of M1 or other upscale oil, and so wouldn't be concerned. Should I be?

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back