Moly count, Chevron Supreme vs. Havoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Havoline has 1/4 to 1/3 more moly than Chevron."

Does this alone account for Havoline's "more robust additive package" or are there other critical additives missing in the Chevron Supreme? Other than Chevron Supreme's additive package being "less robust than Havoline's", how does CS's additive package rate overall in regards to protection?

I looked on the Cheveron Texaco website. I know that Chevron Supreme and Havoline are pretty much identical. But what "additives" does Havoline have more of? How does the moly count compare between the two?

Currently, there is a distinct color difference between the two formulations.

Chevron Supreme 5W-30, from a bottle dated May 06, is a golden/yellow color and relatively clear.

The Havoline 5W-30 that I observed from a 5qt jug, during the same time frame, had a darker reddish-brown color and was somewhat cloudy.

While the published product data sheets are very close for Havoline & Supreme, the color is a tip-off that different brands of addivives are being used and the product coming off the bottling lines is indeed different.

Quote:

"Havoline has 1/4 to 1/3 more moly than Chevron."

Does this alone account for Havoline's "more robust additive package" or are there other critical additives missing in the Chevron Supreme? Other than Chevron Supreme's additive package being "less robust than Havoline's", how does CS's additive package rate overall in regards to protection?

Havoline is their premium oil. Chevron is the economical option.... like Motorcraft vs Trop Artic ... or Pennzoil vs Formula Shell. Some oil manufacturers change the base oil quality - some change the add-pack.

Most additives in the Havoline are slightly higher numbers than the Chevron. Perhaps the base oil has a slightly heigher group percentage also?... I dunno!

Quote:

Havoline is their premium oil. Chevron is the economical option....

I think most will agree that both offerings are fully additized, premium oils.

The difference is largely distribution. Chevron Supreme, the flagship brand, is predominately available only west of the Rockies & Havoline is the central & eastern US.

Some exceptions for the Supreme brand are Tractor Supply(TSC) and the Checker/Kragen Auto Parts stores. But I think these chains are supplied thru west coast distribution centers.

Rumors of Havoline being "more potent" seem to spring from a quote from an phone jockey and incorrect comparisons of oils from different dates/formulations. No apples to apples VOA has confirmed this. From everything I've seen they apear to still be the same.

I'm not saying that Havoline doesn't have a bit more of something, but there is no proof to say it does either.

BTW you can pick up Chevron for 59 cents and Checker now and then, Havoline is likely going to cost you over $2.

Yep,
I'm waiting to catch a 59 cent sale to stock up. I'm down to about 3 cases of Havoline 5W/30 and 1 case of Havline 10W/30. The last "sale", I bought two cased of Havoline 5W/30 for $1.49 per quart with a 30 cents per quart rebate (which I'm still waithing on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back