Molly Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, can an oil loaded with Molly, contribute to glazing of some bores?

And Generally speaking it your looking at two oils and one has no Molly and the other some, is that a big plus to go for?

Thanks

Just doing a bit more research in to Molly, and heard that an Oil with Molly in it, can cause bearing skiping with Rolla Bearings in V8 engines.

I heard that the Pennzoil GT Performance 20w 50 is said to have a lot of Molly in it, but is said to be a purpose HIgh Performacne V8 enigne oil. Most of them would have a set of Rollas in them!

Any thoughts

I have heard the FM/roller bearing theory before.....but I just don't understand it. It seems to me that if something reduced friction THAT much..........wouldn't it virtually eliminate wear even if the bearing was stationary?.............and if there was enough friction to damage the bearing.........wouldn't there be enough friction for the bearing to turn?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Francis:
Just wondering, can an oil loaded with Molly, contribute to glazing of some bores?

And Generally speaking it your looking at two oils and one has no Molly and the other some, is that a big plus to go for?

Thanks

Francis, what makes an oil good or bad is a multi-variable thing. There is no one single thing: Ester, PAO, 'Molly' (sic.)
wink.gif
, that will make one oil better than another.

Instead of worrying whether the oil has moly or no moly, why not ask if the oil has served you and your buddies well for donks, with no engine blow-ups, piston seizures, sludging, coking, Black Death, etc.?

For me, Castrol GTX dinosaur oil has been a winner for the past 20+ years. Even with air-cooled OHC engines run to over 12,500 rpm's. The past 2-3 years or so, I am told GTX has moly. Before that, it had no moly. Both versions: old and new, worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back