Moisture issue/window sill

Vinyl windows are about 8 years old. I have 1 window that seems to get small amounts of moisture. I was going to remove the siding and reflash with sill tape around the window and put it all back together. Would you agree that the water intrusion is coming from inside the window and not outside? In the last picture looks like the only inside place water could get in. The window has the slope needed for the water to run away from the inside ledge.

What steps would you take?

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I would want to confirm whether or not it's and accumulation of interior condensation. I suppose it could also be some movement of the window within the rough framing.

Does this window have any sort of head flashing?

Were these windows full frame replacements or inserts? If inserts then the original frame is still present.

My guess is that it's interior condensation or settling.

I would want to confirm whether or not it's and accumulation of interior condensation. I suppose it could also be some movement of the window within the rough framing.

Does this window have any sort of head flashing?

Were these windows full frame replacements or inserts? If inserts then the original frame is still present.

My guess is that it's interior condensation or settling.

All good questions! I would hope that the windows are full frame replacements with a nail flange but I haven't removed the siding yet...

I don't visually see head flashing, just J-channel or whatever is used around the window that houses the siding.

All good questions! I would hope that the windows are full frame replacements with a nail flange but I haven't removed the siding yet...

I don't visually see head flashing, just J-channel or whatever is used around the window that houses the siding.

IMO 95% of the time replacement windows are inserts because the labor doubles when they have to remove cladding. Vinyl siding in your case is much easer to remove so maybe you're one of the 5 percent. ;) Perhaps you can find some identifier within the frame itself or documentation left by the previous owner.

IMO 95% of the time replacement windows are inserts because the labor doubles when they have to remove cladding. Vinyl siding in your case is much easer to remove so maybe you're one of the 5 percent. ;) Perhaps you can find some identifier within the frame itself or documentation left by the previous owner.
Yes, you're correct. I paid extra for 1/2 the windows to be replaced by "new build" windows with flanges. Unfortunately, this window was not replaced by me. Once I get my siding removal tool, I'll yank everything off and see what I can find!

Back