Modulating/Condensing Boiler Annual Service DIY

JHZR2

Staff member
We have a Peerless Purefire modulating/condensing boiler for our hydronic system. It is rated at 95% efficient, so is as efficient as you can reasonably get, and we use it both for our heating and via an indirect water heater (so no duct or draft losses of a typical tank heater). We have been really happy with the system, and it has been trouble free for us. But there is an annual service recommended, and the computer seems to recommend service based upon hours and number of firings.

So I looked into the manual to see the process. Not that much detail, but this is actually a pretty simple system, not much to it. But I photographed my work as a record and to keep track of what I took apart and its condition, so I figured I'd put the photos here for folks interested...

This is the system with the cover off:

391A992D-A7EB-4809-ABE8-B0EABEBE3FB3_zpshgrfsngw.jpg

The round thing in the middle is where the coils are located which circulate the heating water and where the system is fired. This is a modulating/condensing boiler, so the front section is the burner, which somehow presents a flame in a radial manner to heat the coils. The gas is modulated to ensure a specific set point and delta T from outgoing to incoming. Because it is all stainless, it is set up to condense, thereby retrieving the heating value of the vaporized water, which is why it is so efficient. The condensate is drained, neutralized, and pumped away.

Here it is with the center burner section removed:

FX1_5269_zpstsod1db5.jpg

I was sort of surprised to see the amount of rust looking discoloration on the upper section, and the relative lack of dirt and debris on the coils. Yes, there's some, but its not a ton. The tops and bottoms were dirty/discolored/rusted, but the sides were generally pretty clean.

FX1_5270_zpstfi7banj.jpg

FX1_5272_zpswnp37xms.jpg

FX1_5279_zpsewylx5ql.jpg

FX1_5280_zpsk1pnoadc.jpg

Peerless recommends using a product called Rydlyme, but its very difficult to find anyone who carries it. They also say to use CLR as an alternate. Maybe someday Ill use RydLyme, but the local Sid Harvey distributor carries an HCl product that can be diluted down for this sort of application, for like $14 or so... So I got my stuff together. I used distilled water for the wash down...

FX1_5274_zpsdqzlo75v.jpg

FX1_5275_zpshvis2zug.jpg

Believe it or not, Harbor Freight had this great nylon and brass scrubbing tool, while all that HD had was some brushes by the welding supplies (that were also made in China). The brass brush from HD also came in handy, but this was really useful for working the coils.

FX1_5276_zpsb7yzr42w.jpg

So that's what I did - used the round brush to wipe around the coils continuously, just work my arm in a circular manner and the brush sort of "rode" the coils. The longer bristle welding brush from HD just got a bit deeper and I didn't have as much worry due to it being potted in a wood handle. There was a lot of discoloration that I didn't really get. The descaler product recommended a 1 part descaled to 20 parts water mixture, not sure if I didn't go strong enough... How did I do??

FX1_5282_zpshvocoffe.jpg

FX1_5285_zpsajyxdixz.jpg

FX1_5287_zps3hmdooin.jpg

FX1_5292_zpsodnhbbbq.jpg

FX1_5297_zpsx0wdwdcs.jpg

FX1_5298_zpswka10de7.jpg

FX1_5299_zpskuzx6zdk.jpg

FX1_5300_zpskoxo8fvl.jpg

FX1_5301_zps0d55nxvg.jpg

FX1_5302_zpsyvosm0kl.jpg

FX1_5303_zpsnmwkvmia.jpg

FX1_5304_zps9wkul9kt.jpg

FX1_5305_zpsfirqp8jw.jpg

FX1_5307_zpse64nv4gn.jpg

The condensate goes to a two-tank system with a blockage sensor and some limestone-based neutralizing media. I wanted to rinse out the tanks, so I recovered what limestone I could... which didn't look much like limestone actually, some of it looked more like shale or something... But Im no rock expert.

FX1_5313_zpscdzdndob.jpg

The tanks were filled with sludge:

FX1_5317_zpsdnlwud4h.jpg

The solution that I recovered was quite cloudy and a lot of solids were in it too:

FX1_5319_zpstgkeqc1q.jpg

FX1_5320_zps6syicebw.jpg

FX1_5322_zpsfe4bkjkz.jpg

FX1_5325_zpsm4zbmnbk.jpg

The condensate system had some leaky hose clamps, and it was enough to cause some rusting in various areas. I decided to brush it and paint over it with a simple zinc-rich cold galvanizing compound after prepping with some zinc phosphate preparative stuff from POR-15:

FX1_5326_zpsisa1m2sr.jpg

FX1_5332_zpskk9diqfn.jpg

FX1_5331_zpsinw0o0kt.jpg

Cleaned the firing electrodes from this:

FX1_5337_zpshng9nzur.jpg

to this:

FX1_5338_zpsotrs3k3v.jpg

Added limestone neutralizer to the condensate tank:

FX1_5335_zpszltny9uh.jpg

And fired it up... Works great. In reality, it works year round, but i had a few hours today to do chores, and so its a good time since in a few weeks it will be getting double duty as heater and domestic hot water... Its getting down into the low 40s at night now, but the house is staying low to mid 60s in general just from sunlight, population and cooking, so the longer I can wait the better! But I know it works and will be cleaner and more efficient notionally...

Limestone often comes with a lot of grit, even rocks. When you slake the stuff under heat + water lots of little stones come out. You have some pretty big ones there.

We used Rydlyme extensively in the boiler house to clean out batch slakers (specifically the air pollution control portion). Lime injection is one of the most common forms of scrubbing out acid gases from a combustion process. When I was last in the business back in 2008 most boiler operations with limestone emissions controls would carry Rydlyme in 55 gallon drums. Don't recall where we got it. But I suspect any larger chemical distributor would carry it. Or call the maintenance supervisor of a local power plant (municipal combustor/trash plant/coal plant, etc.). Weak acetic acid also removes the lime deposits but over time it will soften and eat away at some metals. We soaked our slaker grit screens in that stuff.

You live in NJ so there are a number of refuse burning plants around (Covanta, Wheelbrator, etc.). Covanta has them in Union, Essex, and Warren Counties. Also in Camden. Essex is right next to the NJTP.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We have a Peerless Purefire modulating/condensing boiler for our hydronic system. It is rated at 95% efficient, so is as efficient as you can reasonably get,

That's as good as a thermal power station...you won't get much better than that.

Neat show. My annual boiler cleaning is the only time I bring in a tradesman, and I always wondered about their voodoo. I don't want to muck with my boiler, as it's "life support".

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Neat show. My annual boiler cleaning is the only time I bring in a tradesman, and I always wondered about their voodoo. I don't want to muck with my boiler, as it's "life support".

A lot to be said for DIY. However at the same time for something under warranty you cannot do much or notice something that needs replacing which results in a call at same rate as cleaning.

I have a much older boiler which I learned DIY on (1973 Well McClain oil burner) however keep the same old crusty HVAC guy out for cleaning. He cuts me a break not if but typically every other winter fixing our relic in the basement. He typically does not charge me the overpriced show up fee if off hours as he lives local and is enamored by my wife.

Yeah if this wasn't a spark assisted unit with a flame detector and a forced vent I might be a bit more hesitant. An old tube type gas boiler or a forced air furnace where massive asphyxiation risk exists I'd probably want a pro with all the calibrated sensors.

I'll probably still being the pro every other year as best practice. But if I can save $100 or more and get to know my equipment, I figure it's a win all around.

It really was an easy job and notionally more thorough than if I had paid someone...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
l

I have mine done every other year, as its always been in ok shape--albeit leaking water. But I don't blink about having any part replaced. He thinks it needs replacing, go for it! it won't be cheap if he has to come out at o dark thirty.

I don't like what I see. The tubes in boiler are rusted and at the top some are misshapen. This is caused by to low of water temp and or flow through boiler. Minimum water temp coming into boiler 145*. Also I like to see how the system is piped since your using it for potable water.

Brought this one back for the record of the service I did in 2022 for anyone interested in seeing. Unit has been great (knocking on wood). We use it year round since it does indirect water heating too.
93BA0B89-1251-4191-83E7-7621F06A4A20.jpeg
D3806A63-188D-48A9-A700-FBE8130C3392.jpeg
88C73796-3544-4819-9F23-A0A44C485A35.jpeg
7D03959D-4A6C-493D-8064-496828F6C36D.jpeg
6F78A60B-D677-4EDE-A53F-7B428E35121E.jpeg

Apparently I didn’t take any after photos. Knocked off a lot of carbon, cleaned it all up, tubes not as bright as they originally were, some permanent staining, but it cleaned up fine. I don’t do it annually… probably should…

Back