Modern Motor Oil Esters

Status
Not open for further replies.
**** this thread. It has me slightly worried now.

I've been using Redline's 10W-30 in my Honda S2000 for the past 6,000 miles assuming it was a great choice for a high reving motor and then I stumble across threads like this and others on this site doubting the credibility of the company itself.

I don't know what to do now. Last night I drained the oil after 6,000 miles off use which included no track time but some hard street driving and a 1,600 mile highway/road trip. I did pick up a UOA kit before draining and did take a sample which I plan to send to either Polaris or Pennzoil for analysis but now I'm stuck debating on whether to fill my engine back up with more Redline 10W-30 or go find something else to replace it? If I choose option B and go with another synthetic, I have no idea which one to choose now.

What do you suggest I do? Should I just go ahead and fill it with the other 6 qts. of Redline I have lying around and wait for the UOA results before deciding to switch or should I just go ahead and choose another oil now?

The thing that confuses me the most is how this oil appears to be good in Subaru motors but questionable in others. What gives?

biodiesel

If you're worried that Redline is going to give you .5ppm/1k miles more Pb than Mobil 1, then you have been busterized
wink.gif

I realize any company will take a shot at another if they can. They all do it.

Look guys, I go by BITOG UOAs. Jason, you obviously have more faith in RL then I do. You all have to admit though, RL UOAs have not been that good at all. And why all the RL sympathy? I've never seen an oil defended like this one. (ok, it's also attacked but their are reasons for it.)
dunno.gif

biodeisel, take a sample and see where it stands. If it doesn't look good, I'd go with a GC, Synergyn 3w-30, Mobil 1 R/10w-30 or Amsoil S2k 0w-30. Most of us don't have any other way but a cheap UOA to determine how well an oil is really protecting.

Also highly consider Molekule's Scavenger theory in regards to RL. It's a very good theory IMO. Everyone questions RL and should. We learn more that way.
cool.gif

[ August 12, 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Dan4510 ]

satterfi and Molakule,

I hear you both loud and clear and I'm really not pulling my hair out or anyting that extreme. I'm just stumped that we can't get definitive evidence one way or another on this issue. I've been lurking on this site for about two years now, this same debate has been around since then, and I still haven't seen anything conclusive enough to take away my last doubt about RL. Obviously I don't have a lot of them because I took the chance and tried it in my engine. Honestly, not that the butt meter is worth a **** , I feel as if the engine really likes the Redline; however, that was the first synthetic that was ever put in the engine so it could be placebo effect.

I've decided to just go ahead and put the rest of the Redline in the car for now. I'll wait and see what the UOA looks like, which I'll post here of course, and then decide which route to take from there.

So back to the issue at hand....

quote:

I've been lurking on this site for about two years now, this same debate has been around since then, and I still haven't seen anything conclusive enough to take away my last doubt about RL

Thats exaclty where I'm at and exactly why I continue to pound away at the subject....bc no one knows....
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back