Moderate OCI with PP and RP Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, this is my first post but I have read quite a few topics. I am wondering what's a reasonably long OCI for my vehicle. I have a 2014 F-150 5.0 4x4 with 24K miles. I bought it used with 13K miles, had a free oil change at the dealer now this will be my first change on my own. I am planning on using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 with a Royal Purple Extended Life oil filter. I drive 90% on the highway. How long do you all think I can extended my oil change interval? I know Ford recommends 5K, but would like to extended it as much as possible. Since my last oil change with Motorcraft oil I have driven 5.5k miles and the oil life indicator shows 45% life left.

Thanks for the input, right now I'm thinking maybe 7.5k oci.

Your F150 has the iOLM. Reset it to 100% then change your oil when it reaches 0%. From what you described I would not be surprised if your iOLM is calculating for 10K. It is really that easy.

How long does Pennzoil say you can go with their synthetic oil?
I know with Mobil 1 extended performance Mobil guarantees you can go up to 15,000 miles with their oil.. Not so sure about others though.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Your F150 has the iOLM. Reset it to 100% then change your oil when it reaches 0%. From what you described I would not be surprised if your iOLM is calculating for 10K. It is really that easy.

And I wouldn't be surprised with 90% highway that you get 10k miles out of that change and that oil will do it.

Next time you change the oil zero out the OLM. Run the 5K OCI you say Ford recommends. Log the % of oil life remaining [if you have that feature] and get a UOA done. Make sure to get the TBN checked.

Off the top of my head you'll accomplish a few things:
1. You'll know how accurate the OLM is [if you have the % of oil life remaining feature].
2. You'll have an idea of how long you can run the oil.
3. You'll eliminate any guess work.
4. You'll know if you have a problem that might need to be addressed.

It looks like the Ford stealerships across the country are consistent in their 5K recommendations. Mine told me the same thing lol.

With PP (or any synthetic) I'd think no worries for a full OLM interval. I've taken my '13 to 9200 and 8800 on the OLM.

Maybe the Ford dealers are meaning to say 5k for conventional?

Ford, the manufacturer, recommends using their iOLM.

ford, the dealership, wants you coming back in more often.

The iOLM, under ideal conditions, will expire at 1 year 10,000 miles. Depending on use, it will calculate shorter intervals if needed.

If it were my truck, id use your favorite oil for the interval suggested by the iOLM, and verify it with a used oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
With PP (or any synthetic) I'd think no worries for a full OLM interval. I've taken my '13 to 9200 and 8800 on the OLM.

Maybe the Ford dealers are meaning to say 5k for conventional?
No, they're just trying to bring in $$$. That was with MC semi syn. Dude was trying to sell me fuel additive too. "To combat the harmful effects of ethanol!!!!!!" In my Flex Fuel vehicle.

2015_PSD ran conventional out past 10K(maybe closer to 15K) in his 5.4. UOA showed it was OK.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, I will follow the iOLM. Pennzoil doesn't guarantee their oil for an extended time. They say to follow the manufacturers guidelines. It's not only the dealership, in the manual it shows a 5000 mile service interval which includes oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mccoycmw
It's not only the dealership, in the manual it shows a 5000 mile service interval which includes oil change.

What page shows that?

The owners manual I have says on page 438:
Quote:
Vehicles with a 3.5L, 3.7L or 5.0L Engine

Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, which displays a message in the information display at the proper oil change interval.
This interval may be up to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers).
When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it is time for an oil change.
Make sure you perform the oil change within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing.
Make sure you reset the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor after each oil change.
If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles (8000 kilometers) from your last oil change.
Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

Vehicles with a 6.2L Engine

Your vehicle does not have an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system. See the 7500 mile (12000 kilometers) maintenance schedule for oil change service intervals.

A few pages later it talks about when to expect the OLM to trigger based on driving conditions, but still says to change when notified by the OLM.

I can find nowhere that is says to just change at 5000 miles.
The 6.2L is a flat 7500 mile OCI.

Ooh brain [censored] on my part, I must have remembered from my 04 F150 :
smile.gif

I run the 5w20 PP around 7K-8k in the wife's Jeep that has max suggested interval of 10K. The change minder usually is around 20%-24% and she usually does 80% highway mileage. PP is cheap on sale with rebates, so I figure why not change it.

Originally Posted By: meborder
Ford, the manufacturer, recommends using their iOLM.

ford, the dealership, wants you coming back in more often.

The iOLM, under ideal conditions, will expire at 1 year 10,000 miles. ...

Well said sir, well said indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back