Model Airplane Smoke Fluid - Any Home Recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if any BITOG people have any home recipes to make their own smoke fluid. My dad has an RC plane and wants a good recipe. We tried a few things in the past and even bought some from a hobby store (not impressive for the price). The best we had was straight diesel. I was reading on another site to use 50/50 concrete form release oil and diesel. Also saw a recommendation of white mineral oil. Any body have anything?

Try seafoam or MMO, or a blend.

But any distillate should work. Kerosene, diesel, lamp oils....

ATF smokes pretty well too. Use a mineral ATF/PSF. Something with a low low flash point. And, any mineral oil be blended with your choice of distillate.

Good smoke requires temperature, flow control.... you can make up for both a little with ratios of your own homemade smoke oil.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Good smoke requires temperature, flow control.... you can make up for both a little with ratios of your own homemade smoke oil.

I use ATF mixed with Diesel, The only bad part is the smell
21.gif

But in order to get a good smoke, you need to preheat the oil.
If you only are introducing the oil in the muffler it will not have enough time to smoke because the oil doesn't get much time to get hot before it is blown out into the atmosphere,

What we do is to take a aluminum fuel tubing and bend it around the muffler with "MANY" turns like a coil and them you conect it to the Muffler nipple. This way the coil will be very hot and this will preheat the oil before it enters inside the muffler and you will have a NICE smoke.

Good luck,

Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back