Model 3 FSD from LA to San Jose; 1 stop in Kettleman for a charge. Look Ma, no hands!

Bjorn just tested the Niro, and the ID3 on cold loops, and found major differences in consumption from their summer rating.

He made up a term earlier called " Coldgating" where the car refuses to charge at high speed due to cold.

The niro was as efficient as M3 sitting, but was much worse driving
The ID3 is much worse both sitting and driving.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 1.44.40 PM.png

I agree with what everyone is saying. Driving a car is a serious operation. Your arguements speak to driver error and irresposibility, not the capabilities of the car.
Heck, people still text and drive, have their cell glued to their ear sometimes in a heated discussion. Have discussions with others in the vehicle.
None of these situations contribute to safety; AP in itself adds to driver safety.
I am not, and never will be, a perfect driver. Apparantly some people feel that they are. But there is no way your visibility and reaction times can compete with a computer that can see all around the car all the time.

From the Tesla website:

"When Autosteer is in use, it measures the amount of torque that you apply to the steering wheel and, if insufficient torque is applied, an escalating series of audible and visual alerts again reminds you to place your hands on the wheel. This helps ensure you are attentive and trains good driving habits. If you repeatedly ignore these warnings, then you will be locked out from using Autopilot for the duration of that trip."

Now, I'm sure that there are drivers who find a way to trick the steering wheel torque...

There is an upside to irreponsible drivers misusing Tesla AP: AP data is sent back to a database. Tesla has literally billions of miles worth of data.
You have pointed out the poor driving habits; the AP functionality will need to accomodate for driver error.
In fact, this is a key benefit.
Computer is also not aware of situation. Rain sensors are known to slow during hard rain, automatic headlights are malfunctioning etc.
You here state that Tesla AP is much better when it comes to situational awareness than driver. Like this:
I passed by this accident 2 minutes after it happened. People were still getting out of ditches when I passed by. It was another accident and this guy just slammed directly into huge fire truck that had all lights on. Not only that, but there were several other state trooper, police and ambulance vehicles. Yet, he slammed directly into it.
So, you are willfully giving controls to computer that bases its inputs based on, like you said, billions miles of data.
Apple update computers based on inputs of millions of users, and yet, numerous times it just turn itself off for no reason. So, I have to put two kids in a vehicle like that? Designed and engineer by some person who still cannot get over that he or she is not playing video games in their basement, so they need to install oversized iPad to have fun.

It’s not ready to be a Autopilot. A lot of tech features are handy to have on board but until the system is well proven we are not ready to let our cars drive themselves.

Computer is also not aware of situation. Rain sensors are known to slow during hard rain, automatic headlights are malfunctioning etc.
You here state that Tesla AP is much better when it comes to situational awareness than driver. Like this:
I passed by this accident 2 minutes after it happened. People were still getting out of ditches when I passed by. It was another accident and this guy just slammed directly into huge fire truck that had all lights on. Not only that, but there were several other state trooper, police and ambulance vehicles. Yet, he slammed directly into it.
So, you are willfully giving controls to computer that bases its inputs based on, like you said, billions miles of data.
Apple update computers based on inputs of millions of users, and yet, numerous times it just turn itself off for no reason. So, I have to put two kids in a vehicle like that? Designed and engineer by some person who still cannot get over that he or she is not playing video games in their basement, so they need to install oversized iPad to have fun.

Everyone gets to choose whether or not to purchase and or use, or not use the tech.

PimTac said:
It’s not ready to be a Autopilot. A lot of tech features are handy to have on board but until the system is well proven we are not ready to let our cars drive themselves.
Yep. This is exactly what Tesla says.

Then they shouldn’t call it Autopilot. I don’t understand how the regulatory powers to be allowed that. Call it Driver Assist or whatever.

Then they shouldn’t call it Autopilot. I don’t understand how the regulatory powers to be allowed that. Call it Driver Assist or whatever.

I dont have a problem, with autopilot.

In a plane autopilot doesn't taxi, take off or land - it navigates to pre set destination after take off.

I have a problem with " full self driving".

Sure. So what if I was waiting there with kids in the car bcs. he was lazy to drive?

People slam into stopped vehicles on the freeway and at lights all the time without any driver aids to try to blame.

The driver of the car is responsible in almost all rear ending accidents regardless of the tech.

Last edited:
People slam into stopped vehicles on the freeway and at lights all the time without any driver aids to try to blame.

The driver of the car is responsible in almost all rear ending accidents regardless of the tech.
Yes, they slam all the time, but they cannot wilfully turn control to software. Now, imagine all those people dropping kids in the morning to school driving on AP. They hate driving from the get go, and they will always choose AP over texting.
There is a reason why pilots land manually or take off manually, and not using AP. ANd even with all those constraint there is all science about lost skills and how that affect accidents (again, AF446 being prime example).

Yes, they slam all the time, but they cannot wilfully turn control to software. Now, imagine all those people dropping kids in the morning to school driving on AP. They hate driving from the get go, and they will always choose AP over texting.
There is a reason why pilots land manually or take off manually, and not using AP. ANd even with all those constraint there is all science about lost skills and how that affect accidents (again, AF446 being prime example).

Let's set aside the NHST data, and all manufacturers data on driver aids.

Whats your solution/ recommendation?

You are making the assumption that the Tesla was at fault. The article makes no such claim.
If you are so concerned with vehicle safety, pehrhaps look at the biggest contrubuter: driver error.

Teslas are some of the safest cars on the road.

When I had my Q45 someone rear ended me while I sat at a stoplight. He was on his cell phone. He took full responsibility. The trunk was smashed almost to the rear window. It was totaled and a month or two later I saw it onCraigs stating “minor accident.” So they are investigating the Tesla crash doesn’t mean it was auto pilot.
I still don’t think it should be on vehicles though.
Actually why wasn’t the emergency braking on? Collision mitigation alert with braking or whatever they call it. Maybe they turned it off, if that’s possible.

Last edited:
You are making the assumption that the Tesla was at fault. The article makes no such claim.
If you are so concerned with vehicle safety, pehrhaps look at the biggest contrubuter: driver error.

Teslas are some of the safest cars on the road.
Same as I would never give my MacBook to drive, I would never allow any other software to drive.
In the end, I am not impaired. Capable of steering in my own right.

When I had my Q45 someone rear ended me while I sat at a stoplight. He was on his cell phone. He took full responsibility. The trunk was smashed almost to the rear window. It was totaled and a month or two later I saw it onCraigs stating “minor accident.” So they are investigating the Tesla crash doesn’t mean it was auto pilot.
I still don’t think it should be on vehicles though.
Actually why wasn’t the emergency braking on? Collision mitigation alert with braking or whatever they call it. Maybe they turned it off, if that’s possible.

On my Honda its can be disabled manually, or simply not see the vehicle ahead due to any number of issues, dirt over the lens, heading into the sun, ice snow blocking the lens.

Even if it was autopilot, were hands on the wheel as is the instruction and agreement?
Had autopilot sensed and warned about hands off prior?

Id rather live in a world where poor driving has some back up with tech, than not have the tech at all even if it isn't perfect.

It'd be great if states only issued licenses to people with tremendous skills, but they dont, and there have never been more distractions.

Back