Mobil's new site & ESP 5w30 > 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil's new website is interesting. I first noticed it had changed a few days ago.

Anyhow, for "Protect high engine temperature" they have given ESP 5w30 three dots while the great 0w40 only gets two dots.

The whole focus of the ESP line is low volatility, low emission equipment damaging additives. That goes hand-in-hand with high temperature stability. Doesn't directly reflect on anti-wear though.

Even their AFE 0w-30 gets three stars for "Protect high engine temperature". Weird. This is what happens when Marketing goes to town designing websites.
smile.gif

Yep. M1 5w30 EP & the new ESP XI 0w30 provide less high temperature protection (2 dots) than M1 5w20 EP, 0w20 EP & 0w20 AFE (3 dots).

Personally I use the EP version when mixing with Mobil's excellent 0W-40, but AFE will also produce similar results for most people. I like the much higher levels of PAO in the EP.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Mobil's new website is interesting. I first noticed it had changed a few days ago.

Anyhow, for "Protect high engine temperature" they have given ESP 5w30 three dots while the great 0w40 only gets two dots.

And yet the ESP has the BMW LL04 and Benz 229.51 certs. I'm going to guess what you're seeing is marketing (i.e reason to buy the 0w40).

The Mobil 1 ESP in 5w-30 is also MS-11106 certified, which means it will work in the new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel V6 engine.. These engines are normally running at 210 degrees going down the road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back