Mobile1 10W/30 4450 mi '00 Nissan Frontier 3.3L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile 1 10W/30, 4450 miles on the oil. 13 months since previous change.

2000 Nissan Frontier 3.3L V6 with 52,700 miles on vehicle

Daily driver, Less than a 10 mile commute plus errands, occasional longer trips on the weekends.

This last winter it was parked outside, not plugged in, and started readily every morning in all Montana weather including -25F (-32C).
Kinda looks like I need to get a block heater, and switch to an oil that can better handle cold starts. 0w-20, and something other than Mobile 1 maybe?

Blackstone comments:
Quote:
Wear metals were quite high in this sample from your Nissan. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,400 miles on the oil. There's no obvious explanation for the wear, so it's hard to say what's causing it. Aluminum is from the pistons and iron is from steel parts. Copper and lead generally show bearing. Copper can also be from any other brass/bronze part. No coolant was found and the trace of fuel isn't an issue. If the engine saw any hard use or recent work, that might explain it.
Resample in around 3,000 miles.

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 4,457

MI/HR on Unit 52,721

Sample Date 06/25/11

Universal

Averages

ALUMINUM 20 4

CHROMIUM 2 1

IRON 129 14

COPPER 14 4

LEAD 40 10

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 82 80

NICKEL 1 0

MANGANESE 3 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 7 5

BORON 103 44

SILICON 16 11

SODIUM 19 38

CALCIUM 3159 2215

MAGNESIUM 23 119

PHOSPHORUS 892 682

ZINC 1056 829

BARIUM 0 0

PROPERTIES Should Be

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 60.5 58-68

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.35 9.7-12.7

Flashpoint in °F 360 >365

Fuel % TR
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.4

I'd blame the cold start issue as a source of the wear. Your flashpoint is low and wear metals are high, but the oil stayed in grade. If it starts ok, change the oil right before or after the cold. 13 months is a long time with compromised oil.
Any E85 or flex fuel use?

Yikes!

Might want to try their 0w30 AFE, though I think you've got something else going on....... perhaps.

I'd go for 5w-30 synthetic (any name brand will do - Mobil 1 is fine) and some variety of block heater if it's getting that cold.

A block heater will make a world of difference. Heck, even a simple oil pan warmer might be worth a shot (not the dipstick kind).

I would try Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. 5w30. I would also change every 6 mo. I think the 0w30 would shear on you but I have not seen the new M1 0w30 AFE performance characteristics. The SM version sheared on me after only around 3k in my Altima. The new formula is totally different though so who knows. M1 EP 5w30 or M1 0w40 are options too. No more 10w30 though!
smile.gif

Thanks for the UOA!

Try Pennzoil Ultra just once...trust me it is good stuff!

I'd definitely go with a 0w30 this winter, and resample in the spring....bet the wear would go way down.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'd definitely go with a 0w30 this winter, and resample in the spring....bet the wear would go way down.

I ran 5w40 (Delvac 1) in my Expedition in the winter in temperatures which were colder and didn't have bad numbers at all. There is something else at play here, and it isn't the oil. Though running 10w30, where there are so many 5w30 and 0w30's out there that are going to have much better cold flow just seems silly.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Kuato

I ran 5w40 (Delvac 1) in my Expedition in the winter in temperatures which were colder and didn't have bad numbers at all. There is something else at play here, and it isn't the oil. Though running 10w30, where there are so many 5w30 and 0w30's out there that are going to have much better cold flow just seems silly.

It's silly to keep the 10w in freezing temps, that i agree with. The OP most likely put in the 10w30 when it was HOT, not thinking about the COLD winter.

If you're planning to run an oil year round, i'd pick something that can handle the cold starts vs something thicker to handle the heat. a 5w30 would have done a good job at both and there are a ton of 0w30 options available as well.

I the wear could very well be from the short trips coupled with the cold weather and rather thick oil which probably never got to operating temp. Lets not forget the 13 months of use on top of that as well.

My car sounded like an out of tune dump truck the one year I started it at -30F with 10w-30 in it. The following spring when I changed the oil there was a LOT of sparkles in my drain pan.

I would recommend using M1 0w30 AFE or 0w30 GC in winter to reduce start up wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobil 1 tends to show higher Fe in various oil analysis reports compared to other branded oils in similar driving conditions. I’ve been on this website long enough to know that it’s a real characteristic of the oil just dont know why

Originally Posted By: ckmarsh
Mobil 1 tends to show higher Fe in various oil analysis reports compared to other branded oils in similar driving conditions. I’ve been on this website long enough to know that it’s a real characteristic of the oil just dont know why

But apparently you haven't been on this site long enough to know that the higher Fe in M1 is nowhere near as high as what the OP is experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back