Mobile Oil Change Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever use one?

Thinking of starting one, actually buying one that someone is selling in town.

I think it's a great idea, but then again I have some serious lame brained ideas.

What does the consensus think?

I would take advantage of a Mobil Quick Lube if:
1) It was convienent, as in location of shop and swiftness of service.
2) It was appropriately priced with different options, that is a basic OC with Mobil Super for less money that Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP.

I really think you would compete with other shops for the lowest priced oil change. Not all of the driving community cares for the benefits of Mobil products as much as us here on BITOG. You would have to offer that "above and beyond" experience, whether that be exceptional customer service or expedited, capable service. While we would take you up on a oil change or two, what about those who don't care about their cars.

Another member tried that and after dumping thousands of dollars into for ads and getting it going he only changed ONE tractors oil.

Here are some past threads on the topic with some good info

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1558719

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=370476

He said MOBILE, not Mobil oil change service....
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: cancov
2) It was appropriately priced with different options, that is a basic OC with Mobil Super for less money that Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP.

I really think you would compete with other shops for the lowest priced oil change. Not all of the driving community cares for the benefits of Mobil products as much as us here on BITOG. You would have to offer that "above and beyond" experience, whether that be exceptional customer service or expedited, capable service. While we would take you up on a oil change or two, what about those who don't care about their cars.

I think he meant "mobile" as in they come to you to provide the oil change not "Mobil" as in they only use that brand of oil.
blush.gif
I like this service as long as the price is right. Some around here offer a big discount if you provide the oil and filter.

I applaud the concept, I reccomend you get a oil extractor

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200475124_200475124?cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-Google-_-Fuel%20Transfer%20+%20Lubrication%3EOil%20Extractors-_-159433

Should make it easier. Since you are providing a service to the consumer it will help make your operation look as clean as possible. Next would be to figure out how to prevent any oil drips from the filter. My idea would be to use a bit of pipe underneath the filter, and a cat litter box bottom, always works for catching oil, and you have the large area for it to hit without splashing all over the place. If you really want to make a lower mess, fill it with cat litter itself, or sawdust, whatever you have handy.

I see it successful ONLY if you can work with large employer in your area to have scheduled visit, otherwise you'll waste a lot of time driving around to different places changing oil and get nothing back.

They charge something like $40 and coupons from local franchise tire, transmission, auto repair places charges $20-25. So unless you get a lot of people customers via work place, you are competing with loss leaders.

Agree w/PandaBear.

The company I work for has a "Lube On Location" guy come to the building once a week, but there are dozens of vehicles, so at any given time at least a few of them need service. Unless you can get a couple of volume customers you'll go broke waiting for individuals to call.

I've seen them here in the Chicago area; they come around to large office buildings on a set schedule. Customers drop off their keys when they arrive for work in the morning and pick them up when its time to go home, so generally the service is there all day and any one individual car might get serviced at any random time during the day. They have a low trailer with ramps and drive the cars in one at a time. The service is there all day. Obviously, the volume needs to be substantial to warrant keeping the crew there all day, so going to anything short of a high-rise office building with hundreds of potential customers would probably not be worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Originally Posted By: cancov

I think he meant "mobile" as in they come to you to provide the oil change not "Mobil" as in they only use that brand of oil.
blush.gif
I like this service as long as the price is right. Some around here offer a big discount if you provide the oil and filter.

I can never tell with the mis-spellings on the site.

If it were a money making venture, would the current owner be selling it?

My guess is at best you'd be buying a minumum wage job that you're doing in the cold and rain, all the while under vehicles in an asphalt or rock parking lot. You have a fair amount of overhead with a truck, trailer, insurance and your wages, not to mention all the incidentals. It takes a lot of $25 oil changes to so much as break even.

Go over the balance sheets with a fine toothcomb.

Yes by Mobile, I meant "We come to you" type of service.

Definitely doing multiple cars at one location would be best.

I have never used one myself, just didn't know if anyone else had.

I can see a benefit to this for folks who dont want to go to a quick lube place.

But the driving around is a major issue. $40/hr is 80k/year. dilute your efforts by driving around 50% of the time, and you either need to work 16 hr days, charge twice as much, or earn a lot less. None seem that great.

As a side business, where folks schedule with you (so you can get the parts in advance, wholesale), then go to their homes or someplace on a more optimized schedule, it may be OK. I dont see this as a big money maker...

This is one of those things where you need to get a group of jobs in one place to make a go of it.

As others have suggested, office buildings.

You might also look into going into a partnership with a local parking garage. They get a buck or two of every customer they refer to get an oil change.

How about long term airport parking places. They might be a good source too.

Seems like a good idea if you can get traction. The question is what is the most effective means of getting traction.

Not to mention all the issues mentioned in the other threads about liability insurance, how determine what materials to keep on hand, etc.

THE most important thing when considering whether to purchase a business is, are you a business person? If you have no experience in sales then I would stay away. I have owned 2 businesses and in this current economy any business is tough. Selling a premium service is even tougher. Make sure you get tax returns from current owner for the past 3 years and that they were prepared by a CPA. If you want to chat just shoot me a PM.

From my impression, an individual who is thinking about starting mobile oil change business should consider mobile detail business. The financials for mobile oil change are just not there.

On the other hand, if you are willing to put the same amount of effort in to detailing business, there is a chance of you succeeding at it.

Here are advantages:-

1) Start up costs and inventory is minimum
2) Revenue per job is significantly more
3) Better clientele
4) Better cars
5) No hazardous waste disposal hassle
6) Might actually enjoy doing it

Bottom line:- You can not make living on mobile oil change business but possibly could on mobile detailing. One has to have passion for it but that goes for any business.

Any comments?

Last edited:
Interesting point above. One might be able to add the oil change as an option to the detail. You do see oil changes offered at car-wash locations. The idea is it's appealing to get both done in one visit.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If it were a money making venture, would the current owner be selling it? ...

Sure, lots of profitable businesses are sold. Some are built up just for the purpose of selling. Or maybe the owner is just tired of it, or wants to use the money for something else, or has another business he wants to spend more time on, there are lots of reasons.

On something like a mobile oil change service, really all there is to sell is the income stream/goodwill - the inventory/equipment probably isn't worth much at all.

What is the annual revenue? How much are you willing to pay to get that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back