Mobile home trailer tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got to move a trailer, single wide.

The axles and the tires were under the skirting for 30 years.

Safe to use?

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust the tires at all.
I wouldn't even use them on the side of a tug boat.

the axles.. I would definetly clean & repack the bearings & put new seals. I'd probably replace the bearings with new ones just because.

Originally Posted By: EricF

the axles.. I would definetly clean & repack the bearings & put new seals. I'd probably replace the bearings with new ones just because.

+1

How far are you moving it? If you're moving it across the mobile home park I say go for it, but any further than 4-5 miles I'd find some decent used ones for the move and take a look at the bearings as well. I don't know about you, but changing mobile home tires on the side of the road where you might not even have a spare (or several) is not my idea of a great day
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: EricF

Yup.

Blowout on the highway and you will be out a mobile home.

Anything beyond a foot or 2 you need new tires and repack the bearings, too. To be safe I would not move at all without replacing the tires.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

How far are you moving it? If you're moving it across the mobile home park I say go for it

+1
We need to know how far it's going...

Sounds like you are probably moving it for demolition or to use as storage because at least around here, you can't (Legaly) hook the utilities up to a trailer that old. However I do agree with the other people. The tires probably wont make it very far. Maybe you could beg/borrow/rent some spares from a mobile home moving company? Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: robshelton
Sounds like you are probably moving it for demolition or to use as storage because at least around here, you can't (Legaly) hook the utilities up to a trailer that old. However I do agree with the other people. The tires probably wont make it very far. Maybe you could beg/borrow/rent some spares from a mobile home moving company? Good Luck!

We are moving it with a tractor, 10 miles. It isn't going to be fast!

As for the age of the trailer, it's a 1973 "all electric" Suncrest, the Axles and tires are from a 1983 Starlite.

The best way is new tires, but regular trailer tires are not compatible with the mobile home wheel. So, then you look into replacing the wheel, but find that trailer wheels are not compatible with the hubs on your mobile home axle because the bolt holes will not match up. So then you look into replacing the hubs, but find that the replacement hub/drums are not compatible with the spindles of the mobile home axle, and so on.

Anyone got an ideal on how much new tires would cost?

Last edited:
Lol if you're moving it with a tractor and going that slow, and a tire goes flat I'd just run it flat. What's it gonna do? It isn't gonna catch fire at super slow speeds.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Lol if you're moving it with a tractor and going that slow, and a tire goes flat I'd just run it flat. What's it gonna do? It isn't gonna catch fire at super slow speeds.

+1 I probably have a 30 year old tire on my hay wagon, that looks like you should see daylight through the sidewall... It holds 35psi and rolls just fine a 12mph with a few round bales on.
If the tires look half decent and hold air, I imagine they will survive the trip. I'd check the bearings though, a couple seized bearings may stop your tractor, or maybe not if its big enough. The county probably won't like a pair of gouges for miles down their road though.

Hey Vern!

(Couldn't resist!)

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
We got to move a trailer, single wide.

The axles and the tires were under the skirting for 30 years.

Safe to use?

If I take the premise that you are going to move the trailer slowly - and even if you get a tire failure, it won't cause much damage - and that you ought to be able to see the failure long before it becomes catastrophic - I say go for it.

The keys are slow speeds and stopping regularly to check the tires (you would be looking for bulges).

We didn't establish either a size or whether the tires are radially or bias.

I'm going to guess 8-14.5 bias tires.

Bias tires fail differently than radials. They will tend to chunk the tread out, or fail in the sidewall (with a bulge).

Also, I would be careful inflating these tires. Use a remote inflation rig.

The mobil home moving professionals commonly take the axles and tires away when they set up a place. See if some are available for rent or cheap purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back