mobile 5000 vrs valvoline conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone tried mobile 5000 conventional oil and com paired it to valvoline conventional 10W30 oil ,i often wanted to change to mobile conventional because its cheaper at wall mart and meets all the requirements of a conventional oil but will it get me at least 200,000 miles without any problems changing it at regular 4-5k miles with a filter.?

Last edited:
I think any recomended grade oil(even store brand such as SuperTech) will get you 200K miles at 4-5K mile OCI's. And yes, there are members here at Bob's that use and have used Mobil 5000 with great success. I've used it myself for a couple of OCI's.

No one can tell you that you'll get 200K miles out of your engine but, IMHO any engine should get 200K miles with regular maintenance and good driving habbits. But too, if the 200K miles are achieved over a period of, oh let's say 20 years, the rest of the vehicle may end up falling apart do to winter driving and road salt that is used in NYS. This is the problem that I have had with vehicle here in NYS. I swear, we must use more road salt than anywhere in the country(I don't really know that
smile.gif
)

Check around on the site. From what I hear, people are liking the titanium in the new Mobil Super 5000. Use it and sleep well. I haven't used it to know, but I am currently using VWB in our Fusion and it's working well.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I swear, we must use more road salt than anywhere in the country(I don't really know that
smile.gif
)

We might win in the salt usage category, but I have no idea either!

I'd get a UOA done with Valvoline. Not that I think it would have any problem necessarily but given the UOA's on here with Synpower (which are excellent) that show low-ish TBN's with relatively tame OCI's I'd want a good look first.

For what it's worth, two of my last oil runs were on Mobil Super 5000 and Valvoline Nextgen 10w30. Very little difference between the two.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I swear, we must use more road salt than anywhere in the country(I don't really know that
smile.gif
)

At least in the late 80's, the highest road salt usage by state was MA followed by VT and then NY, NH, then MI.

I think any recomended grade oil(even store brand such as SuperTech) will get you 200K miles at 4-5K mile OCI's. And yes, there are members here at Bob's that use and have used Mobil 5000 with great success. I've used it myself for a couple of OCI's.

No one can tell you that you'll get 200K miles out of your engine but, IMHO any engine should get 200K miles with regular maintenance and good driving habbits. But too, if the 200K miles are achieved over a period of, oh let's say 20 years, the rest of the vehicle may end up falling apart do to winter driving and road salt that is used in NYS. This is the problem that I have had with vehicle here in NYS. I swear, we must use more road salt than anywhere in the country(I don't really know that
smile.gif
)

From what I`v seen up there, you guy`s do use a LOT of salt. Even more than our Clowns around here.

Originally Posted By: rhondas
has anyone tried mobile 5000 conventional oil and com paired it to valvoline conventional 10W30 oil ,i often wanted to change to mobile conventional because its cheaper at wall mart and meets all the requirements of a conventional oil but will it get me at least 200,000 miles without any problems changing it at regular 4-5k miles with a filter.?

Mobil is every bit as good as Valvoline. So if it's cheaper and you like it, use it.

Will your car last 200,000 miles without any problems? That has far less to do with what brand of oil you use as it does the way in which your car is maintained, the conditions it's operated in, and a little bit of luck.

The vast majority of people who drive their cars 200-300-400K miles have one thing in common: They maintain their cars in a manner that exceeds that of the average driver. Having said that, even the most intense car owner can have engine failure due to factors beyond their control.

Originally Posted By: rhondas

What vehicle are you running this in and what brand filter?

If it were me I would use whichever of them is cheapest at the time. Both are excellent oils and exceed SAE standards.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
smile.gif
)

In a recent winter, our highway dept used so much salt, they had to buy more from Buffalo...No lie, true story! LOL
smile.gif

The real test here between the Rochester's is:
How fast our cars rust away! You can watch it happen in front of your eyes...That's fast!

JK
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is Mobil 5000 the same formulation as Exxon Superflo ?

Nope, I think Exxon Superflo is the equivalent to Mobil Special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back