Mobile 1 EP HM vs Mobil 1 HM

Just a quick question for you guys. I know Mobil 1 HM is considered a very robust and "thick" oil (I'm looking at the 10w30), but is the Mobil 1 EP HM considered as "thick" and robust?

Thanks fellas.

Not available in 10W-30 (I don't recall if it ever was)

1633471264560.jpg

Crapola!!! You guys are right!!!! I guess I didn't read deep enough into that.

Which one would be thicker and more robust? The 10w30 EP, or the 10w30 HM?
I'm assuming the HM would be able to go at least 7k miles on an OCI?

what car are you putting the oil in. mileage, issues if applicable like oil consumption or leaks. san diego aint cold you can use something a bit thicker like a syn 0-10w-40 or a 15w-40 as well.

what car are you putting the oil in. mileage, issues if applicable like oil consumption or leaks. san diego aint cold you can use something a bit thicker like a syn 0-10w-40 or a 15w-40 as well.
Ford crown Vic, 4.6. No issues, little less than 90k miles. Runs flawless. It does have some piston slap on cold starts, which is why I'm looking for a little thicker oil. I actually eliminated the piston slap with some good old PYB 10w30, but I was hoping to find something that could last a little longer than 3k miles. Lots of short trips, lots of idling in the SoCal heat.

10W30 HM used to be an ACEA A3/B3 oil with an HTHS of 3.5. Definitely thicker than their other 10W30s. But i recently checked at WMart and noticed the ACEA credentials are gone from the bottles (or i missed it). Maybe with the introduction of API SP. So i'm not sure it's still 3.5 HTHS.

EDIT, looks like it stil is ACEA A3/B3

1633472667077.png

https://360.lubrizol.com/Specifications/ACEA-Passenger/ACEA-2016/ACEA-A3-B3-16

1633472811166.png

Last edited:
10W30 HM used to be an ACEA A3/B3 oil with an HTHS of 3.5. Definitely thicker than their other 10W30s. But i recently checked at WMart and noticed the ACEA credentials are gone. Maybe with the introduction of API SP. So i'm not sure it's still 3.5 HTHS.
Dang it. I'm gonna have to do some research on this. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

10W30 HM used to be an ACEA A3/B3 oil with an HTHS of 3.5. Definitely thicker than their other 10W30s. But i recently checked at WMart and noticed the ACEA credentials are gone from the bottles (or i missed it). Maybe with the introduction of API SP. So i'm not sure it's still 3.5 HTHS.

View attachment 73641

View attachment 73642
Fantastic. Thank you for checking, I appreciate that. Looks like I'm going to have to give this a shot next. Im hoping it should be good for a 7k OCI. I'll do a UOA on it just to be sure.

On a side note, the hths for the Mobile is 3.5, and the PP was 3.1. How much of a difference is that .4? Is that considered alot in the oil world?

Fantastic. Thank you for checking, I appreciate that. Looks like I'm going to have to give this a shot next. Im hoping it should be good for a 7k OCI. I'll do a UOA on it just to be sure.

On a side note, the hths for the Mobile is 3.5, and the PP was 3.1. How much of a difference is that .4? Is that considered alot in the oil world?

View attachment 73641

View attachment 73642

The pds on Mobil’s website dated 8/21 states A3/B3.

If thicker oil seems to be the solution to whatever issue you're having, why not just got with Mobil1 HM 10W40 or maybe 15W40 HDEO, Ford Modular engines aren't that picky about oil and in San Diego it's virtually never freezing cold so there should be no problems running any 10W, 15W, or even 20W oils.

If thicker oil seems to be the solution to whatever issue you're having, why not just got with Mobil1 HM 10W40 or maybe 15W40 HDEO, Ford Modular engines aren't that picky about oil and in San Diego it's virtually never freezing cold so there should be no problems running any 10W, 15W, or even 20W oils.
It's just the cold Start up piston slap. The PYB 10w30 conventional eliminated the piston slap (but it did feel a little more "sluggish"). So basically I'm experimenting with oils, that's all. I'd like to keep it xw-30 if possible just to help eliminate the sluggishness, but a tad thicker on the cold Start viscosity. I would stick with the 10w30 PYB, but I would like to find something I can use for a 7k....ish OCI.

Back