Mobile 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now that it is (almost) March, when you guys expect to see this stuff at your local Walmart or Kmart? My 02 CRV is getting thirsty....

It shouldn't be much longer, I noticed this week they now have the technical specs for it on their website.

It will be interesting to see what this M1 0w-20 thins out to in UOA. Given the 0w-30 and 0w-40 UOAs, I am not encouraged.

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
It will be interesting to see what this M1 0w-20 thins out to in UOA. Given the 0w-30 and 0w-40 UOAs, I am not encouraged.

I bet you it does not thin out much at all. Creating a 0w20 should be rather easy (although 5w20 would be even easier) because it would require very little VII. I'm no chemist, and I'm sure MoleKule will correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure a 0w20 oil could be created just like 0w30 only without as much VII in it. So with less VII, there is less chance of shearing.

Well if thinning out is not a good thing, why are oils going in this direction? Take the F-150, Mustang and Acura Rsx, all used to run 30wt. oils and now call for 20wt oils. So in theory, if I run M1 0w-30, and it thins to a 20wt oil, what am I really loosing if this is what is suitable for alot of new cars? If it's ok to run a 20wt. oil in a Mustang or F-150, I see no problems with wear being it is what the manufacturer calls for.
smile.gif

[ March 02, 2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

I think a lot of cars are starting to run 20 weight so they can meet or exceed CAFE standards, not really because it is the best thing to use for that particular motor.

quote:

We got 3 boxes of M1 0w20 at work the other day. I doubt we will ever sell it though

Where do you work? I will come take it off your hands for you..

quote:

I think a lot of cars are starting to run 20 weight so they can meet or exceed CAFE standards, not really because it is the best thing to use for that particular motor.

This is true, but I find myself complaining about Mobil's tendency to thin out, yet based on the fact that 20wt. oils are becoming more popular, i don't think it really matters. You do loose HT/HS though.

This is from Mobil's website which has improved there Frequently Asked questions section. Mobil also mentions how there oils resist thickening due to oxidation. So thinng out doesn't seem to be an issue, as compared with thickening. I'm still stuck on this topic...
dunno.gif

Won't a 5W-50 motor oil's higher viscosity (thickness) give better wear protection than Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 or 10W-30?

SAE grades alone do not measure performance and protection. The basic issue is what SAE rating is best suited for a specific engine design. For instance, high-powered Corvettes are filled at the factory with Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30. All Porsches use Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40.

After you have selected the right SAE rating for your car (check your owner's manual), the difference between oil brands is found in the quality of their components. And in performance tests that we have run, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 provided excellent wear protection.

[ March 02, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

i dont' understand why they just don't release it if they have it on their specs sheet. Not that ill have the first batch of it in my honda, but i want to know some analysis's before i change my oil in say late april or early may.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I see no problems with wear being it is what the manufacturer calls for.
smile.gif

I don't think anyone else caught the joke.
lol.gif

I did a survey at Wally World yesterday for the 5w20 and found only 3 oils in that weight. Ford, Valvoline, and Penzoil. Only Motorcraft said it met the WSS-M2C153-H specifications. One of the others said it met all specs for japanese and ford. Whatever that means. The other didn't make any mention of meeting the ford spec.

Anyone just putting in the 5w20 API oil isn't meeting Ford specs in 2 out of 2 non-Ford oils.

I wonder about warrenty with people using these oils and also about quicklube places not using ford spec oils. 5w20 is 5w20 right?
thumbsdown.gif

Mike

Wulimaster, a quick check of the Valvoline Product Data sheets shows that the Valvoline 5w20 meets the Ford 153H spec as well as the Honda 2001 Spec. Penzoils data sheets indicate the 5w20 also meets the Ford 153H spec.

Short story is that any producer of 5w20 wouldn't be very smart to produce an oil that doesn't meet the Ford spec when Ford and Honda are the only two calling for this oil weight today.

All three you saw at Wal-mart meet the spec, regardless of what labeling was or was not included on the bottle labeling.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:

Short story is that any producer of 5w20 wouldn't be very smart to produce an oil that doesn't meet the Ford spec when Ford and Honda are the only two calling for this oil weight today.

Smart enough to produce it but not smart enough to label it. I wonder if they are all semi-synthetics. Semi-group III I mean.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back