Mobil1 vs. Amsoil oil filter...can't do search..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know if Mobil1 oil filters are comparable to AMSOIL filters.

I've tried many ways of searching, but all I can manage to do is search for a single term. As Keyword search terms in this forum I've tried:

AMSOIL Mobil1
AMSOIL+Mobil1
AMSOIL + Mobil1
AMSOIL and Mobil1

the best I get is posts containing either term. This is true no matter which forum I'm searching, and regardless of whether I search subject or subject and body.

I've used many, many, many online forums and have never had any problems like this. Am I missing something? Is there something wrong with the search feature here?

Also, I thought there was an article or post somewhere here in BITOG.com that compared various oil filters, their pressure drops, filtering ability, etc. (including pictures of the filters cut apart).

Thanks for any advice or info!

There may be as yet a forum thread adressing comparisons between Amsoil and Mobil 1... until now
grin.gif
Amsoil doesn't make filters, just like Wal-Mart doesn't make Check type cereal, but they sell a repackaged version of CHEX cereal anyway. They don't make oil filters either, but most of their ST filters are pretty darn good, better than some name brands that start with F I'm told.
smirk.gif

Baldwin used to make the filters for Amsoil, but now I think it's either WIX or Donaldson, or both.

That info on the cut appart oil filters is on another web site I've seen and saved as my favorites. It's a little old though.

Peraonlly, I think the Amsoil or Donaldson filters are excellent. Just an opinion. I must also think the Mobil 1 filter are pretty good because I also have on on one of my cars.
wink.gif

Perhaps now others ... wiser.. will also chime in.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

I always use M1,Amsoil are too $$$,i'd use Ams if they
were cheaper and easyer to get, but on the other hand i don't do long OCI eather.
laugh.gif

First of all I'll start by saying I don't know a ton about the search engine here. I haven't played with it much.

Also, I have little knowledge of the M1 filter. It's assembled by Champion Labs (right??) with a very solid design and a good media. It always stacked up well with the old Amsoil SDF filters (no longer made). So most research you may dig up on the web will be the older Amsoil filter Further messing with your search - so be careful - Nebraskan's link is ancient for example. If it's SDF, it's old.

Now on to the EaO filter. I keep hoping for some independent studies. Amsoil has some research, but in the interest of not getting the khrap beat out of me, I really want a true independent study.

Amsoil EaO Oil Filters

This EaO filter uses a new proprietary media that is simply better than any filter you can buy on the shelf. You should find the discussion by Terry. It's eye opening. Yes - they are quite expensive, but if you are doing extended drains they are a great filter.

Sure you can use it for short drains - but maybe change the filter every second oil change as some manufacturers already recommend. In fact if I had a car with this recommendation I would think an EaO would be a smart move.

427Z06 is doing a comp between ST and EaO filters in a PC showdown.

I might do a PC showdown between M1 and an EaO filter. My wife does enough mileage to make it not too long a deal.

PC kinda eliminates any nebulous impressions. A filter either filters to such a level ..or it doesn't. You shouldn't be able to load a filter to capacity for 10k ..or so I would imagine. So ..it should be down to which has the onset of the larger particles. It really shouldn't matter if you have a "dirty" engine or not.

I think I will too. I'm going to get a UOA done at 6,000 miles on my LS2 Chevy that is running M1. Plan is to leave the oil in until the OLM says change it unless the UOA spooks me. I plan to take off the AC UPF44 at 6,000 oil miles and intall an Ea0, then also get a UOA with particle count when I change the oil a few thousand miles later.

Even if I only run the Ea0 a couple thousand miles, that will be enough to see if it filters better than the UPF44. I kind of think it will.

Who is going to do a Particle Count on a Baldwin filter vs Mobil 1 or the Amsoil? I actually don't think you would notice ANY difference between the Amsoil EaO and the Donaldsons
grin.gif
... wonder why??
tongue.gif

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Quote:

I think I will too. I'm going to get a UOA done at 6,000 miles on my LS2 Chevy that is running M1. Plan is to leave the oil in until the OLM says change it unless the UOA spooks me. I plan to take off the AC UPF44 at 6,000 oil miles and intall an Ea0, then also get a UOA with particle count when I change the oil a few thousand miles later.

Even if I only run the Ea0 a couple thousand miles, that will be enough to see if it filters better than the UPF44. I kind of think it will.

I agree. You'll probably (imo, surely) accumulate more smaller particles (stuff that no filter can effectively filter out) ..but you should see a cutoff of larger particles if the Eoa is better then the AC.

I think 20 miles would show a difference assuming that the second filter was of superior filtering ability. That's enough to have the sump cycled many times. Whatever it's going to trap ..will surely be trapped.

I'm totally convinced that effects of loading should not alter a filter's performance over a decent amount of mileage. If anything, it should improve it if there is any truth to the increasing of efficiency as a filter ages. I imagine that there's a sweet spot for a given filter ..but I think that, at a certain point, you offset any gains in efficiency with effects of increased velocity.

Quote:

Who is going to do a Particle Count on a Baldwin filter vs Mobil 1 or the Amsoil? I actually don't think you would notice ANY difference between the Amsoil EaO and the Donaldsons
grin.gif
... wonder why??
tongue.gif

Because Amsoil didn't get Wix to sign a non-disclosure agreement, maybe ..and they shared the design spec's with Donalson??

or Amsoil got Wix to build Amsoil filters with Donaldson Synteq® media?

Just like this link.. : http://www.warnerwines.com/
They've won awards on their wines! But, they have not fermented or bottled a single bottle at their winery, unless you count the "winery" at Fennville. So, in one sense, when they win awards, we feel good at our winery. They may be in Paw Paw Michigan, but if you look at each bottle, it will say "produced and bottle by Warner Vineyards, Fennville, MI" There is only one winery at Fennville, ... www.fennvalley.com

It would not be surprising to test one filter against the other filter and wind up testing ... outside paint?
blush.gif
Different lettering??
blush.gif
blush.gif
AND they might test differently.
dunno.gif
WE have had some of our wines win silver awards at the same wine competition that Warner vineyards "like" varietie won Gold or Bronze. Go figure???
cheers.gif

Darth-Sidious.jpg

I don't think Amsoil ever claimed they make their own filters, so I don't think the winery analogy is the same. Maybe if Amsoil had someone else make their oils the analogy could apply. Sheesh.

Amsoil had the idea to sell filtration products and constantly seeks a better product. I don't see the problem. If you want to find a filter with the Donaldson media that fits your car, that isn't Amsoil, knock yourself out.

Oh I FORGOT I actually had a tour of the Mobil oil filter factory right after the K&N oil filter factory tour.
smirk.gif
ooo.gif

Quote:

Just like this link.. : http://www.warnerwines.com/
They've won awards on their wines! But, they have not fermented or bottled a single bottle at their winery, unless you count the "winery" at Fennville. So, in one sense, when they win awards, we feel good at our winery. They may be in Paw Paw Michigan, but if you look at each bottle, it will say "produced and bottle by Warner Vineyards, Fennville, MI" There is only one winery at Fennville, ... www.fennvalley.com

It would not be surprising to test one filter against the other filter and wind up testing ... outside paint?
blush.gif
Different lettering??
blush.gif
blush.gif
AND they might test differently.
dunno.gif
WE have had some of our wines win silver awards at the same wine competition that Warner vineyards "like" varietie won Gold or Bronze. Go figure???
cheers.gif

It's simple. They provided more complimentary sample bottles to wine critics then you did.

There's also the label effect. Certain color schemes produced different perceptions in identical instant coffees offered to comsumers. A brown label was considered too strong ..while a blue label too weak. A red label was chosen as the proper color for an instant coffee label.

Now their label must more effectively convey the qualities that the critics perceived ..while your label did not.

Then again, the other label owner probably used the Swedish Bikini Team as their PR reps.

Well, Gary it doesn't' work quite like that.
grin.gif
I'm sure that if they gave complimentary sample bottles to wine writers and such that there could be the possibility of extra PR, but then it would all depend on the writer and their particular style of wine. As far as competitions go, ALL wines are brown sacked with an identifying number tagged on it. Panel of judges are given glasses and "blind" tasting of wine out of paper sacks. No label is produced until after the complete competition (unsacked). They have to go only on the color, taste, smell, and other criteria designated. So a pretty label with bikini girls or a yellow marsupial might catch the consumers eye, but in the competition it's all "blind" sampling, no exposure of who made it or even if it was made in Michigan, CA, or even in the USA. Many times we compete in international taste competitions, against all of US, Australia, Germany, France, Italy, etc etc. All bottles brown bagged before the judges even begin to sample the first swirl.
grin.gif

I know this is
offtopic.gif
but it is interesting that even the very same wine coming from the exact tank bottle on the same day will be perceived by one judge as a Gold and another as a Silver, and it can make a difference even on the timing of the day of that wine being judged. Now as for filters, you have to realize that there are the lesser possibilities of variance than should be with wine, but one batch lot to another might be different slightly from materials used, machines functionality of that day, and so on.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back