Mobil1 vs. Amsoil oil filter...can't do search..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares who makes a particular filter. They are made to someone's spec be it a top spec like Mobil 1 or Amsoil or a value filter like a Supertech. Almost all of these companies have the manufacturing capabilities to turn out a great or ________ filter. Its all in the specs for the filter. You can bet that Mobil and Amsoil have done or paid for testing to be done on these filters and also instected and cut apart several of the filters.

Amsoil does not make the base stock for their oil either, but do I really care who they buy it from. They test the base stock at delivery before its added to their tanks and they do several more tests during the manufacture of the oil.

Sears (Kenmore) does not make any washing machines, but contracts out to have them made to their spec. I believe they have even changed over the years. And maybe not all Kenmore models are made by the same company. You are buying a Kenmore name and expect a certain level of quailty regardless of who made it.

Same for the filters.

That's right, Donald. The only thing that I'd add to that ..that you sorta said in a different way, is that much of your cost of a given filter (M1, K&N, Purolator, and especially Fram) is the marketing of the product. The cost of production from one filter to another is marginal (in our terms) ..but the cost in NASCAR, Speed Vision, Trucks, and all the other forms of media sponsorship make up most of your retail price.

So, a lowball filter like ST, PP, or whatever .. can give you a much better "value". They don't have to cheapen them that much to make a profit when they don't have 40% of the retail costs spent in advertising.

Right on!
cheers.gif

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Quote:

That's right, Donald. The only thing that I'd add to that ..that you sorta said in a different way, is that much of your cost of a given filter (M1, K&N, Purolator, and especially Fram) is the marketing of the product. The cost of production from one filter to another is marginal (in our terms) ..but the cost in NASCAR, Speed Vision, Trucks, and all the other forms of media sponsorship make up most of your retail price.

So, a lowball filter like ST, PP, or whatever .. can give you a much better "value". They don't have to cheapen them that much to make a profit when they don't have 40% of the retail costs spent in advertising.

I love watching a brillant mind at work.
drool.gif

As far as particle counts are concerned using the Amsoil/Donaldson vs a conventional type...

Quote:

OK, I just completed a VERY informal test with my Frantz bypass filter, and involving a Fleetgaurd 3894 Microglas full flow filter in the first test, and an Amsoil/Donaldson Nanofiber full flow in the second.

Both test runs used Delo 400 15/50 for approximately 5000 miles - here's the particle count results:

Earlier test on left, latest one (Amsoil/Donaldson filter) on right

particle1va4.jpg

And here was the "Standard" report on wear metals on the last run - very close to the first, so won't post it:

Wow, that Amsoil filter looks sweet. It's incredibly expensive but if appearances mean anything then that is one impressive unit.

The K&N is the group disappointment IMO. The others look nice.

Quote:

I want to know if Mobil1 oil filters are comparable to AMSOIL filters.

Thanks for any advice or info!

Mobil 1 filters are a mix of cellulose and synthetic media whilst Amsoil EaO filters are full synthetic media and have capability of filtering smaller particles.

Both meet OEM specs, however.

Without a doubt, the Amsoil with nanofiber media flows much better than the Mobil 1 with a cellulose/synthetic blend media. For the superior flow, filtration, and longevity, I would use the EaO. The Mobil 1 filter is probably closer in flow and other specs to the previous Amsoil SDF series.

Quote:

Without a doubt, the Amsoil with nanofiber media flows much better than the Mobil 1 with a cellulose/synthetic blend media. For the superior flow, filtration, and longevity, I would use the EaO. The Mobil 1 filter is probably closer in flow and other specs to the previous Amsoil SDF series.

But how do we know that? Has anybody done any flow tests on this filter yet?

Not that I know of blueglide88, but you know it won't be long. I know that when I start my car, the oil pressure is almost instantaneous. When I fill the filter with oil, it is absorbed faster than I have ever experienced.

Quote:

I just don;t like how the center core looks in the Eao's,
looks restricted(small slots)vs the M1(full open holes)

Here's what I did: took 2 filters, one EaO24 and one new-box Mobil 1 filter for same application, M1-302. I filled both with same 5W-30 oil and watched the oil flow through the center tube and media. I found that the EaO easily flowed through twice as fast to full as the Mobil 1. Granted in a running engine, the oil is going the other direction and at higher speed and with pressure rather than just gravity, but I noted enough difference to be impressed by the EaO...I've prefilled a lot of filters, and the difference was that noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back