Mobil1 Truck & SUV Discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this distributor letter template via a search on Google, and I am posting it here to see if anyone can verify or refute it. I have been unable to find any further information regarding it, even here on BITOG. I was unable to find any posts from the originating web site regarding this letter although it appears to have come from a message board. I figure this will be news to most of you.

Here is the original link: Original Link

Plain text is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------
Customer Letter Template Insert Distributor Logo Here

>

I am pleased to announce changes in the Mobil 1 product line. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 will be cancelled effective February 15, 2006 and replaced with two products: New Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30, designed for gasoline engines; and New Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, designed for diesel engines.

New Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 exceeds ILSAC GF-4 and API SM/CF. This new product contains extra performance additive and is specifically designed to help extend engine life in today's hard-working trucks, SUVs, RVs and other gasoline powered vehicles.

New Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 exceeds API CI-4 Plus and is engineered to help extend engine life in modern turbo-charged diesel engines operating in severe applications. This new product is recommended for virtually all diesel powered equipment including both light-duty and heavy-duty applications.

The new Mobil 1 products will be available beginning February 15, 2006. Changes are summarized below:

If you have questions or concerns regarding the replacement products, please contact us at [Distributor Phone Number] for assistance.
-----------------------------------------------

confused.gif
This could explain the lack of product availability as noted by many of the BITOG members, as well as the cryptic response recieved by Palut in this thread: BITOG thread.

[ January 07, 2006, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: nick555 ]

This new info really would jive with the e-mail I received. Hopefully, if this is true, the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 will be the same as the CI-4+ Delvac 1. Hopefully it will be priced the same as it is now too! I guess we just have to wait 2-3 months to find out.
frown.gif

That's too bad. I made at least 20 other Audi drivers use M1 5W-40. I'm not interested in any 5W-30.

Not that I really care about "losing" M1 5W-40. There are plenty 5W-40 oils out there, from Castrol to Elf to Pentosin to Lubro Moly to Motul, even Valvoline. And of course Red Line and AMSOIL.
wink.gif

The demise of M1 5W-40 coincides with my next oil change. Mobil, go fly a kite, I'm taking my business elsewhere! I'm also going to take my Audi buddies with me, if they'll listen!
tongue.gif

Marketing - Marketing - Marketing

The business plan:

Let's make a T&SUV oil like everyone else has but let's put the good stuff in the bottle. We will target all those diesel pick-up owners and charge them accordingly.

Success:

Stuff sells like hotcakes

The leak:

Word gets out it's the same stuff as Delvac 1. Bobby Joe has a diesel pick-up and 5 dump trucks and says, "why am I spending $$$ for Delvac 1 when I can buy T&SUV for $$$. Bobby Joe tells his friends and they all start visiting BITOG. Wholly cow, Delvac 1 sales are going down and we can't keep T&SUV on the shelves. We are losing money.
freak2.gif

What to do:

Let's make two new oils. Let's see we will make a 5W30 T&SUV (maybe Mobil 1 EP) and a special 5W40 diesel oil with a fancy name (still Delvac 1), only this time we will charge Delvac 1 price for it. Now Bobby Joe will buy both of our diesel oils.

Yep, sounds about right to me.

Marketing - Marketing - Marketing
grin.gif

Yeah.... there's a new Euro Mobil-1 5W-40 coming out. May be available in the states.

I wonder if this new T&SUV 5W-30 will be available in EP? I sure hope so!

Triple, I think the new 5W30 T&SUV will be 5W30 EP. It will be interesting to see where they price these new products. Remember this, all oil companies are controlled by their marketing departments.

"That's too bad. I made at least 20 other Audi drivers use M1 5W-40. I'm not interested in any 5W-30."

Same here. I'm not interested in almost $30 a gallon for a 5W40, and I'm not interested in a 5W30. IS MOBIL LISTENING ?

You'll have to wait and see what they market the 5W40 for, won't you?

The move was definately clear up confusion for the common consumer.

Imagine the average Joe...
quote:

"Hmm, my Yukon calls for 5W30. I better not use the Mobil1 Truck and SUV. It's 5W40! My engine will blow up!"

So, now they'll have a "truck" 5W30 for the 5 gillion Yukons, Subs, Tahoes, Sierras, etc AND one to market to diesel owners.

ILSAC GF-4 Excellent for "hard-working" engines?

BTW, what is Mobil's plan for Delvac 1, API CJ-4 and Caterpillar ECF-2 + ECF-3. Will they reformulate Delvac 1, reducing its ash-level to
I would be happy if they would develop a whole new product to meet CJ-4, and continue to sell Delvac 1 CI-4+.

This might be a nice thick 5w-30 for those nit picky LS1 owners.
grin.gif

Well, they didn't say that the M1 Diesel wouldn't carry the SL rating. So what's the difference aside from a name change?

If the price goes too high ...I'm back to RTS @ $14.88/gallon. I have TSUV sitting around just until I burn through (it's a long process with extended drains) before I even get to it.

btw- no jugs ..but plenty of quarts of T&SUV @ $5.38/quart at my local Wally World (today).

I checked a Kragen near me today. There was still plenty M1 5W-40 on the shelf. Out of spite I didn't buy any.

It's funny, M1 T&SUV showed up after there was a lot of yelling on BITOG over the lack of 5W-40 oil a couple years back. It was almost like Mobil was listening!

I hate that constant reformulating (repackaging?) and these preposterous "new and improved" marketing schemes. Remember clear Coke and Zima?
tongue.gif

Well, Mobil doesn't care if they lose one customer, but you know what, I don't feel a special urge to buy Mobil products either.
wink.gif

What is wrong with M1 5w-30 SUV?
dunno.gif
The 0w-40 is the VW/Benz oil anyway. No doubt though SUV was a better choice between the two IMO.

quote:

Well, Mobil doesn't care if they lose one customer, but you know what, I don't feel a special urge to buy Mobil products either.

Amsoil 5w-40 with friciton modified should serve well
wink.gif

If the new 5w-40 is sold as an M1 product, I suppose the price will be the same as the rest of the line...not really a change in the line-up. I don't really get the 5w-30 truck oil for gassers. Will it be SS or ester-based?

I'll tell you why the 5W30 truck oil for gassers, 95% of the pick-up's and suv's out there are gassers and they recommend 5W30. I think it will be the Mobil 1 EP, but I could be wrong, but I bet anything it will cost more than regular Mobil 1. It is successful marketing that many oil companies have used. Put a picture of a pick-up, van, or suv on the label, or call it 4x4 or T&SUV and it sells like hotcakes. It also sells for more money. Time will tell but I'm taking bets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back