Mobil1 Synthetic ATF did not work in Mercon V app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ven
It wasn't "back flushed". The fluid was exchanged without intervention other than T'ing a cooler line. The trans pump does most of the work at idle. It's still closed loop circulation, only now the output fluid is binned and the input fluid is new. The transmission doesn't experience anything different, or is under any different conditions than if it were idling in my driveway.

Maybe, just maybe, if I had some old abused crusty trans that has been neglected and never serviced, I could see the strong detergents of newly introduced ATF possibly dislodging building up or crud sediment that could block or restrict passages in the valve body. But this isn't the case on my low miles, don't tow, always clean fluid truck. The flush has nothing to do with it, I'm certain the fluid used does.

Your problems are a mystery my son.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Very interesting about the Canadian M1, this I never knew. I must have been on the US site when checking to see if M1 was rated for MerconV. Likely I got the old version of ATF. But....I did have the MerconV spec additive put in with the M1 when the flush was done. I watched the flush as it was done, M1 directly from new bottles and also watched the additive go in. Now I have normal Mercon and the V additive and the trans is great. Not sure why the M1 didn't work.

Do you have any of the M1 ATF bottles left? Does it say MercV? I have no idea why Mobil would keep selling the old formula in Canada???

For the same reason we still have the CI-4+ version of TDT 5w40.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Very interesting about the Canadian M1, this I never knew. I must have been on the US site when checking to see if M1 was rated for MerconV. Likely I got the old version of ATF. But....I did have the MerconV spec additive put in with the M1 when the flush was done. I watched the flush as it was done, M1 directly from new bottles and also watched the additive go in. Now I have normal Mercon and the V additive and the trans is great. Not sure why the M1 didn't work.

Did you read my previous post. Many trannys fail soon after they are back flushed.

That has not been my experience. I have worked in shops that have done thousands of transmission flushes, even on older cars with putrid fluid, with no ill effects.

Big Jim,
One problem with the flush is if the tranny has a filter it more than likely will not be changed. I know of fast lube shops that does not change it out. At my friends shop he did say he has seen several trannys that had to be rebuilt soon after a flush. I just do mine the old way by pulling the pan and replacing the filter. It's messy but has worked for me.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Big Jim,
One problem with the flush is if the tranny has a filter it more than likely will not be changed. I know of fast lube shops that does not change it out. At my friends shop he did say he has seen several trannys that had to be rebuilt soon after a flush. I just do mine the old way by pulling the pan and replacing the filter. It's messy but has worked for me.

And you might get 40% of the fluid out changing it like that. Have a look at a transmission filter, it's not a filter, it's a screen. It's why K&N and Amsoil and whoever else doesn't do performance internal transmission "filter" screens. It seems the newer transmissions get the coarser the screen get, some have none now. Flush is a loose term, sometimes it means a guy put kerosene in the trans and drove it around the block a few times to clean out some crud he suspects, then pops a cooler line into a bucket until nothing comes out, then refills it. Ya, he'd be getting a rebuild soon. I'm sure there's other ways of doing a "flush" wrong which can open the door for damage, but I'm sure those people will fix everything up just fine with a bottle of Dura-Lube while complaining about how synthetic oil will cause your engine to leak, never break in right, and burn oil the day after your warranty is up.

I was just reading here, and noticed about the flush part being a "hot" topic. I also own a '04 Dodge Hemi, with 22,800 miles on it. I have owned it for 5 years. It's time for a tranny flush, or not...My neighbor owns a '02 5.9 Dodge, almost identical as mine. He bought his with 69K on it. Now the tranny finally gave out somewhere between 145K and 170K, unsure as he was "developing" problem along the way after 145K. When he bought it used, it was flushed, had it flushed at 100k, then at or around 140, 145K. After his problem with the tranny got worst, he then finally decided to drop the tranny pan. In the pan, was the original filter, and gunk. not to mention a narly thumb sized piece of metal.

After we both talked awhile, I decided to call my dealership here, which specializes in Ford, Dodge, Chrysler. I asked them about the tranny flush, and to my shock, the tranny pan is never once dropped and they havent done a tranny pan drop since the machine for flushing the tranny's made them a fortune, or at the most several years.

Now I will say, that you can request this service, but it's gonna add about 80 or so dollars to your bill. It's for the liquid gasket, there is no more oem gaskets, go figure, and the extra 4 or so quarts your gonna be low when they drop the pan.

What I cannot begin to understand, is why there is a pan, and number 2, if they aren't gonna drop the pan, shouldn't we all chime in and ask this question about if ther is a screen or filter, why isn't it just changed just as if you were changing oil for proper lubrication??

I guess the best piece of advice is that you have your tranny serviced once a year-for severe duty; once every 2 years for normal driving. At least your $$$ are speaking for them not dropping the pan and alerting you to some major damage, like small pieces of metal that could strand you in 100 miles after leaving the shop, when you think all is well.

Just my 2 cents...

I have to agree with timbersteel.
I did a pan drop in my corolla at 60000 miles even though it would be more convenient to drain and fill (toyotas have ATF drain plugs) or flush. The amount of debris on pan and filter was eye opening. I bet when car maintenance manuals were written, flush was not considered to replace pan drop and filter change.

As for the Mobil 1 I have old and new bottles (purchased in USA though). Old specifies Mercon and new (multivehicle formula) specifies Mercon and Mercon V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back