Mobil1 Synthetic ATF did not work in Mercon V app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ven

I have an '06 F-150 FX4 4x4. I flushed the trans at 30,000 miles with M1 Syn ATF. No problems for about the firt 1000 miles, then I started to notice a few things. From park to reverse pulling out of my driveway the engagement started to become rough. 1st to 2nd shift got to the point where I thought I'd bark the tires. Finally I was getting a howl on downshift and a shudder sensation. So yesterday I went and had it reflushed with Mercon along with some additive that makes it work like a MerconV. Anyway, now the trans is acting normal and it feels like I've gained about 40 horsepower. In retrospect I wish I had just pulled through and went to a place that has actual MerconV, but I suppose I'll just watch things and see how it reacts. So far it's like a new truck, and I'm not sure why the M1 ATF failed me.

Quote:
Not recommend for CVT applications, Mercon® SP, Ford Type F

That is very strange. Different transmission, but I have the Mobil 1 ATF in my 05 Mercury Grand Marquis that requires Mercon V and it works great.

I would suggest you contact Mobil through their Mobil 1 website and tell them about this.

Originally Posted By: Ven
I have an '06 F-150 FX4 4x4. I flushed the trans at 30,000 miles with M1 Syn ATF. No problems for about the firt 1000 miles, then I started to notice a few things.

FYI, Canadian Mobil 1 ATF is NOT Mercon V approved. It's stil only a Mercon/Dexron III ATF. http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.asp

You would have been better off (in terms of both performance and cost) simply using the Mercon V additive with your fill of Mobil 1, rather than flushing it and adding it to whatever bulk Mercon/Dexron III fluid you ended up with.

or maybe using a real Mercon V
23.gif

Quote:
FYI, Canadian Mobil 1 ATF is NOT Mercon V approved

Good catch. That had everyone scratching their heads.

Originally Posted By: ArcticCat
I have an '06 F-150 FX4 4x4. I flushed the trans at 30,000 miles with M1 Syn ATF. No problems for about the firt 1000 miles, then I started to notice a few things.

FYI, Canadian Mobil 1 ATF is NOT Mercon V approved. It's stil only a Mercon/Dexron III ATF. http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.asp

You would have been better off (in terms of both performance and cost) simply using the Mercon V additive with your fill of Mobil 1, rather than flushing it and adding it to whatever bulk Mercon/Dexron III fluid you ended up with.

ArcticCat, I think you hit the nail on the head. But what does the M1 ATF bottle say?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
or maybe using a real Mercon V
23.gif

OK....well bite....extrapulate on your using a REAL Mercon V please?

I think he means a straight Mercon V like Valvoline's MercV instead of a universal atf like M1 synthetic ATF.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

ArcticCat, I think you hit the nail on the head. But what does the M1 ATF bottle say?

Says for use in older Ford and GM transmissions.

You are talking about the M1 ATF that was two formulations ago. M1 did re- formulate to Mercon 5, then most recently to multi vehicle which is also Merco 5. I've used M1 ATF ever since it first came out(many years ago) all in Fords and never had a failure. At presant it's been in my Mercury since new.
You mentioned ,reflushed. Were did you go to have your tranny flushed using M1 ATF the first time?
My friend who has a tranny shop says flushing can cause more problems than it's worth. He doesn't do it at all.

ArcticCat is right, the usual places in Canada that carry M1 ATF (Canadian Tire, Part Source, Walmart) all have the previous version of M1. The bottle states that it is only compatible with Mercon and Dex III.

I use Castrol Import in my Mazda and it works great, Had it for about 35k with no problems. Actually the shifts are a tad smoother than on OEM fluid.

Castrol has also a Mercon V only fluid.

Last edited:
Very interesting about the Canadian M1, this I never knew. I must have been on the US site when checking to see if M1 was rated for MerconV. Likely I got the old version of ATF. But....I did have the MerconV spec additive put in with the M1 when the flush was done. I watched the flush as it was done, M1 directly from new bottles and also watched the additive go in. Now I have normal Mercon and the V additive and the trans is great. Not sure why the M1 didn't work.

Very interesting about the Canadian M1, this I never knew. I must have been on the US site when checking to see if M1 was rated for MerconV. Likely I got the old version of ATF. But....I did have the MerconV spec additive put in with the M1 when the flush was done. I watched the flush as it was done, M1 directly from new bottles and also watched the additive go in. Now I have normal Mercon and the V additive and the trans is great. Not sure why the M1 didn't work.

Did you read my previous post. Many trannys fail soon after they are back flushed.

It wasn't "back flushed". The fluid was exchanged without intervention other than T'ing a cooler line. The trans pump does most of the work at idle. It's still closed loop circulation, only now the output fluid is binned and the input fluid is new. The transmission doesn't experience anything different, or is under any different conditions than if it were idling in my driveway.

Maybe, just maybe, if I had some old abused crusty trans that has been neglected and never serviced, I could see the strong detergents of newly introduced ATF possibly dislodging building up or crud sediment that could block or restrict passages in the valve body. But this isn't the case on my low miles, don't tow, always clean fluid truck. The flush has nothing to do with it, I'm certain the fluid used does.

Do you have any of the M1 ATF bottles left? Does it say MercV? I have no idea why Mobil would keep selling the old formula in Canada???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back