Mobil1 or Valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 2004 3.4liter Toyota I'm running OEM oil filter and Valvoline 5w30 all climate. I have used M1 before but stopped due to price. I have now started running Wix oil filters because their $2 cheaper but cant decide on oil. The truck is never raced or idled long, used for normal driving 35 mile round trip to work. It never will go longer then 5k on changes. Can I justify M1 prices or for my driving will Valvoline dino be ok?

To buck the trend here I have seen several cars exceed 200,000 miles being run on Valvoline mineral oil and 3,000 mile drain intervals.

I see no problem using Valvoline all-climate but I certainly wouldn't exceed the 5,000 mile drain interval.

If you like Mobil, why not go with the new Clean 7500. Word is that, while it is labeled as a blend, it qualifies for the label "full synthetic." Sure, it is not Mobil 1, but most people don't need Mobil 1 (or Redline), unless you say you have a turbocharger. Clean 7500 is about half the price of M1.

As for Valvoline, I am a valvoline nut, but have never used All Climate. If you want to continue with Valvoline, I would recommend Maxlife. It is a very good oil. How it compares to the comparably priced Mobil Clean 7500, I don't know. Many would say the Clean 7500 is a super deal. But there are some free Maxlife deals right now (look on the rebates forum here).

Wix filters are excellent but why be such a cheapskate on oil with that nearly new truck?

If you want to run 5000 miles look to a blend like the Motorcraft (Conoco) 5w-30. Less than 2.50 a qt.
I wouldn't run all climate past 3K.

Be nice to that engine and you'll get an insane number of miles out of it. My neighbor has a 97 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 with 321,000 miles on it. He is a contractor and a serious rock climber, always on the road for one or the other.

Besides timing belts and water pumps and regular maint. it has had zero engine work. His big expense was new springs and shocks last summer. He plans to run it into the ground but that is a ways away.

Oh yeah, he does the 3000 mile OCI at whatever quickie lube he is near.
pat.gif

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

I would think the all-climate and a quality WIX/napa/carquest filter would be fine for your easy driving, not to exceed 5Kmi OCI. I wouldn't waste cash dumping M1 every 5K unless my conditions required it
cheers.gif
G/luck
Joel

Yep, the Valvoline at 5000 mile or six month intervals will get you over 200,000 miles on that engine. To me, M1 is for extended drain intervals. It might get you maybe a 10% longer engine life, but the rest of the vehicle will be worn-out, falling apart around it.

I used to use M1 for 20 years before I retired. with yearly oil changes at about 20,000 mile intervals. Never had an oil problem, or any other engine problem, although I never kept a vehicle over 7 years. Now, I drive only 6 or 7000 miles a year, so I use dino changed every 6 months.

Since many on this board do not like Valvoline A/C due to its UOA/VOA's which show a poor additive package why don't you use a dino like Pennzoil or Havoline which many here seem to like.

PS: There are some who feel that Valv. A/C doesn't show a great additive package but is still good because it has a better base oil. If it were my truck and I wanted to use dino I'd use Pennzoil.

Mobil is going to be better,though over kill in your app. Valvoline is fine,but not a first choice,,Schaeffers 5w-30 7000 semi will be a great choice,,,,or is $$ a factor Phillips Trop Artic is better than Val. all climate,,,,,,,,or Havoline/Chevron supreme,,rember Auto-Rx for a engine cleaner also,,,,BL

For 3000 mile OCIs you can run any oil that is on sale (if economy is your desire). The rebates forum here lists 69 cent Citgo Superguard, 59 cent Chevron, 79 cent Valvoline, $8.40 a case Exxon Superflo. All would work fine.

If you can find a cross reference to Motorcraft filters you can spend nearly half as much as for a Wix and get a great filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back