Mobil1 oil update

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 F150,4.2 V6,111K miles
I changed to Mobil1 at 110k miles.Since then my oil level is down about a 1/3 quart.It never used oil or lost oil before going to Mobil1. I was told this might happen.Is it common?
dunno.gif

1/3 qt in 1000 miles is nothing.
If you didn't use a flush before changing to synthetic, then watch the consumption. If it suddenly increases (like to a qt or 2 in 1000 miles), change the oil filter and top off.

New cars are considered to be within normal consumption at a qt in 800 miles.

Blue, don't fret. Yes, your truck will use some M1 when you first start using it. It's part of the cleaning process that happens with most synthetic oils when they're first introduced into an engine that has seen mostly conventional oils. However, the consumption should taper off within an OCI or two and your engine will likely be cleaner at that point, too.

With as many miles as you have on your truck, though, I probably would have done a double treatment of Auto-RX to clean out the deposits. See the Auto-RX website for ordering information and application instructions. You can still add Auto-RX to your Mobil 1 for the first cleaning phase.

offtopic.gif

quote:

New cars are considered to be within normal consumption at a qt in 800 miles.

I would dump any new vehicle that consumed oil like that and consider it a lemon.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blake Sobiloff:
Blue, don't fret. Yes, your truck will use some M1 when you first start using it. It's part of the cleaning process that happens with most synthetic oils when they're first introduced into an engine that has seen mostly conventional oils. However, the consumption should taper off within an OCI or two and your engine will likely be cleaner at that point, too.

With as many miles as you have on your truck, though, I probably would have done a double treatment of Auto-RX to clean out the deposits. See the Auto-RX website for ordering information and application instructions. You can still add Auto-RX to your Mobil 1 for the first cleaning phase.

Thanx for the advice but there is no way i'll ever use that "stuff" in any of my engines!
nono.gif

Why the "no no" finger gesture? Blake gives good advice for a well proven product. Ultimetly it is your personal choice, but please elaberate on your concerns rather than quickly putting Auto-RX down
thumbsdown.gif

As others stated, do not be concerned with the oil consumption you are seeing if you have verified no leaks (oil stains on your driveway/garage floor). I had a Civic in the past that I switched to synthetic at 90,000 miles and it did the same thing for the first OCI. No worries.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
I have not used it myself but it cut consumption on a co-workers 100k mile isuzu Rodeo from a quart every 800 miles to a quart every 3000 miles.. Quite an improvement and on the second treat. this summer. He has also come off the 10w40 and I talked him down to 10w30. He's a dino and 3k man though...baby steps.
You don't have to try it, and I am not trying to pressure you but in my eyes on expiriment it seems to be working as advertised. I know, it's nothing but testimonials
rolleyes.gif

Ain't nothing wrong with using dino....its improved markedly over the years....and our dads got over 100,000 on their engines way back when...most of them on Fram Oil Filters...
grin.gif

So he changes his oil every 3000 miles...and initially burning 1 quart every 800 miles..so he was adding 3 quarts of dino between each oil change. That added at most $4.50-$5.00 additional cost per oil change. Granted he had to open the hood after purchasing oil, and add it....but the argument could be made its a good chance to give the engine compartment the once over.

After not 1 but 2 "treatments", he now just adds one quart of dino between oil changes. So on the surface he "saved" $3.00.

But he had the cost of 2 oil treatments at how much each?

And he had to "follow directions" on the both "treatments". Not a big hassle, but still time consuming...

My point is, it sure isnt cost effective...or time effective...

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:

quote:

I have not used it myself but it cut consumption on a co-workers 100k mile isuzu Rodeo from a quart every 800 miles to a quart every 3000 miles.. Quite an improvement and on the second treat. this summer. He has also come off the 10w40 and I talked him down to 10w30. He's a dino and 3k man though...baby steps.
You don't have to try it, and I am not trying to pressure you but in my eyes on expiriment it seems to be working as advertised. I know, it's nothing but testimonials
rolleyes.gif

Ain't nothing wrong with using dino....its improved markedly over the years....and our dads got over 100,000 on their engines way back when...most of them on Fram Oil Filters...
grin.gif

So he changes his oil every 3000 miles...and initially burning 1 quart every 800 miles..so he was adding 3 quarts of dino between each oil change. That added at most $4.50-$5.00 additional cost per oil change. Granted he had to open the hood after purchasing oil, and add it....but the argument could be made its a good chance to give the engine compartment the once over.

After not 1 but 2 "treatments", he now just adds one quart of dino between oil changes. So on the surface he "saved" $3.00.

And he had to "follow directions" on the both "treatments". Not a big hassle, but still time consuming...

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

Correction, after 1- treatment. he has cut the consumption. He is going to run another treatment this summer. The consuption can be traced to stuck ring packs.
So by getting better compression by freeing up the rings he is not only saving aome oil consumption(which by itself is not that much of an issue), he is improving power and effeciency.

Funny how this happens. Remember how people praised Slick-50?? All that went down the drain when the FTC busted them. I don't think the FTC has busted Auto-RX.
wink.gif

quote:

Being able to free up sticky piston rings with a twenty dollar bottle of oil additive is not cost effective? Are you serious or did I not understand you. Do you not realize the snow ball effect blow by has on shorting the life of an engine. Ring pack deposits are a big problem to the point that VW spec oils must pass a very difficult sequence deposit test or the oil is not approved. If Auto-Rx really does as advertised it is a real great break threw technology and something that is long overdue. Modern engine materials and oils have made cyl and ring wear no longer the main problem, deposits are. Dan

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Abolutely nothing wrong with using dino.
Especially if you are using a computer with a 286 chip.

lol.gif

I had to read that a couple of times to get it!
I used to be your choir. Now I have turned into one of "those" guys.

offtopic.gif

In the end, the choice is up to the "customer". If he or she doesn't desire to use it, than that's that. For them, it may just feel like they are taking a chance, no matter how many different ways others put it that good result shall come of it.

rolleyes.gif

quote:

...and while word of mouth is kewl, it don't make it true...

Yeah, we're all delusional.

How about the compression increases that many, including myself have documented. Visual cleanliness? Not a valid confirmation either? Even if photographed?
Oil Analysis improvements? Not valid either?
I am just mentioning stuff that can be documented. I won't mention for instance that a grand caravan transmission that wouldn't go into gear on a cold start before ARX, that does now. Or things like that.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

quote:

...and while word of mouth is kewl, it don't make it true...

Yeah, we're all delusional.

How about the compression increases that many, including myself have documented. Visual cleanliness? Not a valid confirmation either? Even if photographed?
Oil Analysis improvements? Not valid either?
I am just mentioning stuff that can be documented. I won't mention for instance that a grand caravan transmission that wouldn't go into gear on a cold start before ARX, that does now. Or things like that.
smile.gif

If they choose not to use AutoRX for whatever reason it simply means there is more for those of us that know better....
grin.gif

quote:

quote:

quote:

rolleyes.gif

grin.gif

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

Correction, after 1- treatment. he has cut the consumption. He is going to run another treatment this summer. The consuption can be traced to stuck ring packs.
So by getting better compression by freeing up the rings he is not only saving aome oil consumption(which by itself is not that much of an issue), he is improving power and effeciency.

So how do we know the compression was now "better" and the rings were "stuck" and wonder clean "unstuck" them? Pure speculation...or maybe different driving habits...or the planets were in alignment...whatever....

What is the basis that he "improved power and efficiency, speculation"?

As someone mentioned above, Slick 50 had rave reviews for along time. As far as "stuck rings" having a horribly detrimental effect on engine life, look for example at the Saturn/GM 1.8 DOHC motor. Notorious oil burner, 800 miles to the quart isn't uncommon, yet as long as the oil is changed and not allowed to run extremely low, 200,00-300,000 miles is not unusual.

I love talking lubrication and am fairly knowledgeable, having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express several years ago. My take is:

1. Change the oil "regularly" with a name brand and check the level frequently
2. Use a "good" quality filter
3. You will experience no oil related engine failures...

Slick 50, fram oil filters, and the Easter Bunny all have their true believers...and lubrication is a great "guy topic" but in the end, its like Britney's "marriages", it just don’t matter after a certain point...

Again
IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back