Mobil1 is a group III now? any info ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now many people are saying that Mobil1 is not PAO anymore but group III instead. Any info on it? If they change it to group III then I probably won't use it again.

Probably people with an aggenda.
rolleyes.gif

I think this has been discuss recently and M1 is mostly a PAO with some AN.

-T

A mechanic recently told me Mobil Synthetic was really made by Castrol and it would leak out of my engine because of all the wax in it and that I should use non-detergent oil because it cleans better .
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
A mechanic recently told me Mobil Synthetic was really made by Castrol and it would leak out of my engine because of all the wax in it and that I should use non-detergent oil because it cleans better .
tongue.gif

OMG!

quote:

tongue.gif

I hope you don't get this "mechanic" to work on anything that you own!
crushedcar.gif

This is just some web BS that won't go away. Anyone with a 1/2 a brain (most Amsoil dealers) should know by the specs alone - if M1 is a Group III, it must be a very special Group 111.....

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
This is just some web BS that won't go away. Anyone with a 1/2 a brain (most Amsoil dealers) should know by the specs alone - if M1 is a Group III, it must be a very special Group 111.....

I don't for a minute believe that Mobil 1 is Group III. However, let's test your theory by comparing the Mobil 1 5w30 specs to Amsoil's XL-7500 5w30, which is a Group III oil:

code:

Mobil 1 Amsoil XL-7500

cSt @ 40º C 56 50.9

cSt @ 100º C 10 10.3

VI 167 196

HTHS 3.08 3.1

Pour Point -45ºC -51ºC

Flash Point 224ºC 234ºC

If someone gave you those specs without the oil brands attached, which one would you think is PAO based?
grin.gif

quote:

tongue.gif

I would love to have been a fly on rhe wall and seen your face!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

I don't for a minute believe that Mobil 1 is Group III. However, let's test your theory by comparing the Mobil 1 5w30 specs to Amsoil's XL-7500 5w30, which is a Group III oil:

code:

Mobil 1 Amsoil XL-7500

cSt @ 40º C 56 50.9

cSt @ 100º C 10 10.3

VI 167 196

HTHS 3.08 3.1

Pour Point -45ºC -51ºC

Flash Point 224ºC 234ºC

If someone gave you those specs without the oil brands attached, which one would you think is PAO based?
grin.gif

Wouldn't the higher VI give it away? More index improvers required to meet spec?

The one with the lower VI more likly PAO.

[ May 28, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:
Wouldn't the higher VI give it away? More index improvers required to meet spec?

Yes, that's the one thing that stands out. I wondered if anyone would catch that. But as for the rest of the specs, the Amsoil appears to be superior: Better HT/HS, better pour point, better flash point.

From what I understand, Amsoil went to PetroCanada for their Group III, and PC is on the forefront with the latest catalyst technology using Chevron's IsoSyn system. They are producing Group III base oils with VI and pour point numbers that are as good as PAO, but it ain't cheap.

quote:

Now many people are saying that Mobil1 is not PAO anymore but group III instead. Any info on it? If they change it to group III then I probably won't use it again.

Not this rumor again!
mad.gif

"Not this rumor again!"

Getting tired of the same old nonsense getting rehashed.
rolleyes.gif

"A mechanic recently told me Mobil Synthetic was really made by Castrol and it would leak out of my engine because of all the wax in it and that I should use non-detergent oil because it cleans better."

'bike, I think you nailed 'em all with that statement.

lol.gif

--- Bror Jace

G Man - you do make a good point, I shouldn't have said "specs alone"...I should have said, specs on SOME Group III's or even some specs, (Amsoil's 7500 mile max recommendation), or some UOA's (although again some look fine/great).

Most likely (short of true qualitative organochemical analysis) one would need to dig into oxidative resistance tests to tell.

I know one couldn't tell by VI alone (because some of the better base oils can have a great VI without a lot of viscosity enhancers)....and for another example Amsoil ASL VI is 182...about smack in the middle of M1 and the XL-7500.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Mobil might need to place a Geniune PAO logo on all their bottles to keep this rumor from resurfacing. It's really ridiculous.

99% of buyer's wouldn't even know what that meant. It's the little Wal-Mart smiley face
wink.gif
logo that moves this product. i.e. low price jugs and name recognition. The bitog types know the score anyway.

Mobil or any other company can't get too concerned about Internet rumors.

quote:

Pablo, a stupid question, what would the difference be if we compare the spec. of group III and group IV oils? Thanks.

Click on the link for an article about group III/IV base oils. web page

[ May 28, 2004, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:

Yes, that's the one thing that stands out. I wondered if anyone would catch that.

hmmm... i must have misunderstood what VI means, then. i thought if it were a measure of how many VII (VI Improvers) there were, then higher would be worse. but you're saying a higher natural VI is a tip-off that the base oil isn't as good?

i thought that was one of the benefits of synths in general, a higher VI.

-michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:
hmmm... i must have misunderstood what VI means, then. i thought if it were a measure of how many VII (VI Improvers) there were, then higher would be worse. but you're saying a higher natural VI is a tip-off that the base oil isn't as good?

i thought that was one of the benefits of synths in general, a higher VI.

-michael

One of the benefits of a synthetic is the base oil has a higher NATURAL viscosity index. That means that less VI improver is needed to make the oil meet both the low and hi temp specs for its given rated viscosity, e.g., 5w30.

What I was alluding to with the lower VI of Mobil 1 indicating PAO is the fact that Mobil essentially uses very little VI improver, relying on the naturally high VI of their base oils. This results in a VI of the finished motor oil that appears to be “too low” when compared to the Amsoil 5w30. But if the Amsoil 5w30 begins with a base oil that has a VI of 140 and the finished oil has a VI of over 190, while the Mobil 1 starts with a base oil that has a VI of 150 and the finished oil has a VI of around 160, then it’s easy to see that the Mobil 1 has less VI improver.

For whatever reason, Amsoil is working with a relatively “thin” Group III base oil in this XL 5w30 and is having to use more VI improver to get the spread.

Hey my Bosch Mechanic told me that bananha oil -35W5 is the way to go! It is so thin that capularie action allows it to creep through the oil galey at all times even when the engine is turned off so you never lose oil pressure! Not only does it clean well it also deorderizes the whole car! If yo have a leaking seal you can just sniff the leak out. They are running this in all of the race cars they service as well because M1 15W50 blows Porsce engines right up.

My Astroligist told me that I can only run M1R in engines built when the moons of Jupiter are in it third phase and in alingment with the earth and sagertarius! SHe told me that if I put it in engine not meeting this spec. that they would self destruct the second the key is turned!!!

P.S. I am not teasing anyone with this post!! I just took it as a chance to have some fun and flow off some steam so please no one take offense!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back