Mobil1 High Mileage in a GM 5.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife went to the store yesterday. I asked her to but a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 for our 2008 Suburban 5.3. She did great, except for one small thing: she bought the wrong oil.

Instead, she brought home Mobil 1 High Mileage. I’d be perfectly happy using it based on its reputation, but its lack of GM-related spec endorsements gives me some pause. My 2008 engine was spec-ed new with the GM6094M requirement, which I believe gave way to the Dexos 1 spec around 2011. This oil does not have either spec listed on its credentials. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-high-mileage

Is this one of those ‘the oil is great, the company just hasn’t paid for the spec test’ deals? Or is there a legitimate reason to return the oil and get the regular M1?

Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
My wife went to the store yesterday. I asked her to but a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 for our 2008 Suburban 5.3. She did great, except for one small thing: she bought the wrong oil.

Instead, she brought home Mobil 1 High Mileage. I’d be perfectly happy using it based on its reputation, but its lack of GM-related spec endorsements gives me some pause. My 2008 engine was spec-ed new with the GM6094M requirement, which I believe gave way to the Dexos 1 spec around 2011. This oil does not have either spec listed on its credentials. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-high-mileage

Is this one of those ‘the oil is great, the company just hasn’t paid for the spec test’ deals? Or is there a legitimate reason to return the oil and get the regular M1?

Thanks a lot.

I believe DEXOS started in 2011. I wouuld use the M1 oil and submit for $12 rebate good sir
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott

Thanks a lot.

Would not bat an eye … my 2010 5.3L has had many brands and viscosity ranges that were not Dexy enough … only M1 I HM I ran ran was 10w30 … but does not matter … they tend to have a tiny seal weep anyway …

It's basically the same oil GM put into the Corvette's. Slightly higher V@40 and V@100 (probably why it doesn't meet GM specs). It's SN+ and ACEA A5/B5 oil. It would be my #1 choice.

I run this in my 5w-20 spec'd engine with excellent results. I'm more interested in an ACEA oil than Ford's spec. But that's just me.

If your really into the GM dexos spec, go back and exchange it.

Rule #54: I don't ask my wife to buy oil and she doesn't ask me to buy Tampons...

Oh man. I’m afraid I’ve been dispatched to buy those.

For the record, she nailed the non detergent 30 oil request for the power washer pump.

Better off to focus on getting those right … that 5.3L is much easier to keep happy and that oil will do fine …
wink.gif

Your wife did better than expected. You may continue to buy the High Mileage from this year forward.

Go give her a big hug and take her out to dinner, wherever the heck El Oeste is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back