Mobil1 FS 0w40 European Formula new PDS

I noticed a new PDS for M1 0w40 attached below.
First time I saw they published the pour point at -60c.

Will this clear any concern to use this oil at very cold climates especially in an engine that calls for 5w30 as my VQ3.5L? Or anyone concerned to run a thicker oil in cold days?

If so, this oil does never seize to amaze!

Attachments

• NA-XX-Mobil-1-FS-0W-40.pdf
    115.8 KB · Views: 133
I noticed a new PDS for M1 0w40 attached below.
First time I saw they published the pour point at -60c.

Will this clear any concern to use this oil at very cold climates especially in an engine that calls for 5w30 as my VQ3.5L? Or anyone concerned to run a thicker oil in cold days?

If so, this oil does never seize to amaze!
Cold weather performance is reported by the winter rating. How would that relate to concerns about a specific engine? Or are you asking if a 40-grade oil is too thick for your engine, instead of a 30 grade?

Last edited:
What exactly are we asking? 0w the ultimate cold weather specs

Last edited:
OP needs to clarify what he's asking, the general answer is that a 40-grade oil is thicker than a 30-grade oil. However, if one has a 0W winter rating and the other one a 5W, then at extremely cold temperatures the one with the 0W rating is guaranteed have better cold cranking and pumpability performance. But this is only below -30F or so. The pour point is not a reliable indicator of this cold weather performance and can be influenced by other factors including pour point depressants.

But beyond that, if your battery or starter is so weak that it will not crank the engine at "normal" temperatures with a 40-grade then you have other problems.

I use it in all my cars. Cold weather starting is very good, even when visiting folks in North East Minnesota. Temps in the mid to lower negative 20's Fahrenheit have not been an issue.

Yeah, that was my main concern when I switched from 5w30, the latter being a thinner oil in general at most temps, but this M1 apperantly have no problems even in colder days, though we don't generally see temps lower than 0F here in MD.

Yeah, that was my main concern when I switched from 5w30, the latter being a thinner oil in general at most temps, but this M1 apperantly have no problems even in colder days, though we don't generally see temps lower than 0F here in MD.
At those temperatures, neither oil will cause a problem starting unless you have mechanical or electrical problems.

You’ll be fine with that oil. Numerous threads here already asking about this oil and a VQ engine. I live in Toronto and use 5w over 0w because even here does it rarely drop past -30.

Cold weather performance is reported by the winter rating. How would that relate to concerns about a specific engine? Or are you asking if a 40-grade oil is too thick for your engine, instead of a 30 grade?
How does the Pour Point relate to the winter rating? For instance the XLE 15w40 in my sump has a pour point of -54

It doesn't, unless you are physically trying to pour the oil into the engine at -55. Then it matters :LOL:
So oil is only flowing when you pour it into the engine then it becomes concrete inside the engine for the rest of the OCI?
Didn't know that😆

You’ll be fine with that oil. Numerous threads here already asking about this oil and a VQ engine. I live in Toronto and use 5w over 0w because even here does it rarely drop past -30.
I'm using it for the high side of viscosity rating. Not for the 0 part

Data please?
Actually the pour point most relates to how it flows through the pour point test apparatus. That's kind of the problem in that it was thought this was an accurate representation of what is significant in an ICE and it is not. Cranking and pumpability are what's important and that's what prompted a revision to SAE J300.

The winter rating is what most accurately represents how the oil will behave in cold weather starting.

Back