Mobil1 ESP 5W30, 4,350mi VW Tiguan 2.0TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is UOA for Mobil1 ESP Low-SAPS oil.
Oil was put in back at the beginning of January and changed on 22/7/14.
Why I changed at 4,350 not 5K? Well, it was in the engine through very strong winter and it is my wife's car. Still trying to figure out whether this is true 5K oil in these VW DI engines. She does not drive a lot, and mostly car sees a lot of city driving. I take it sometimes to the mountains to ski. She always uses premium gas at COSTCO. I purposely tried to avoid Shell just to see whether UOA using Costco gas will show any problems. During driving, I cannot see difference between Costco gas and Shell gas, and it seems that it does not influence oil.
Now, what I was really surprised with is cst viscosity. Mobil1 claims virgin oil is 12.2, and it sheared only to 11.81! TBN is at 2.1. Now TBN starts in this oil at 5.6, which is great result. TAN is 3.4, but TAN in this oil starts at 2.2.

So what is your opinion? I could not upload PDF from home computer, I will try to do it from office tomorrow.

Here is what Blackstone says:

Metals are looking pretty good in this 2.0L TSI engine. They're reading at or below universal
averages across the board, and that's always nice to see. The shorter oil change interval may have played
a part in that, since averages are based on a longer oil run of about 5,900 miles. That's fine, though. That
just means this engine could certainly handle a longer oil run, no problem! The TBN read at 2.1, showing
some active additive remaining, and the TAN was 3.4. The viscosity read a bit high for a 5W/30, but that's
not hurting anything. Try 6,500 miles next.

Code:

Miles on oil: 4,350

Miles on unit: 44,350

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 16

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 65

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 4

BORON 107

SILICON 9

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 1098

MAGNESIUM 73

PHOSPHORUS 663

ZINC 807

BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 65.7

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 11.81

Flashpoint in °F 400

Fuel %
Water % 0

Antifreeze % 0

Insolubles %
TBN 2.1

TAN 3.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. This oil shears way less than M1 0w40 that is for sure.

I'm on the fence on using this oil vs the PU L 5w30. I went with the PU because I can buy it cheaper.

I'm going to do a UOA when I hit 3k miles with the PU see how it does and go from there. The M1 though really seems to shine.

Jeff

Thanks, but I meant another UOA from the Tiguan.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks, but I meant another UOA from the Tiguan.
smile.gif

No I do not. Was trying to find but never did.
It is same engine like in GTI, CC.

Easy answer is to run it out to 5k miles and change it. Less cost than a UOA and you will have fresh oil in her vehicle and you will rest easy at night

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Easy answer is to run it out to 5k miles and change it. Less cost than a UOA and you will have fresh oil in her vehicle and you will rest easy at night

Yeah I know.
Thing is this is not regular Full-SAPS oil, and DI engines dilute oil, so they loose TBN very fast.
I am using this to prevent carbon deposits on valves.

That's good oil. The thing about Costco gas is it matches or exceeds the additive package of any of the major brands. It has 5 x the EPA required cleaning additives. In order to do this, the additive package is added when gas is delivered to the Costco station by Costco. In their little shelters they have a computer that adds the additives. Those attendants are trained in doing it. It's as good or better as Exxon, Shell or any of them.

Originally Posted By: loneryder

That's good oil. The thing about Costco gas is it matches or exceeds the additive package of any of the major brands. It has 5 x the EPA required cleaning additives. In order to do this, the additive package is added when gas is delivered to the Costco station by Costco. In their little shelters they have a computer that adds the additives. Those attendants are trained in doing it. It's as good or better as Exxon, Shell or any of them.

I did not know how they add additive. In my case, considering it is DI engine additives do not play any role when it comes to valve cleaning (maybe keeping injectors working good). However, since dilution is big problem in DI engines I was thinking that additives might degrade TBN faster. Also, does not know hoe much sulfur or ethanol it has.
But, considering report, it seems ok.
Also, I buy majority stuff in Costco, especially tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back