Mobil1 ESP 5w-40 Formula M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran to NAPA this afternoon to pick up a few quarts of M1 0w-40 since it was on sale, but there was no 0w-40 to be found.. The woman said someone right before me bought 20+ quarts, all they had.
shocked2.gif

While searching for an alternative, I passed by an oil I've never seen before, a Mobil1 variant in 5w-40. The manufacturer suggests a 0w-40 or 5w-40, though probably anything ACEA A3 rated (for the HTHS performance) would suffice. I ended up buying 5 quarts as NAPA had no decent priced alternative, and I figure any Mobil1 product should at least perform adequately.

Perhaps this has been used or stumbled upon by users on this site, but I didn't have time to research it as they were closing, and I traveled out of town to get to the store (they don't have 0w-40 at the NAPA in my town).

What is the consensus? I saw a UOA pertaining to its use with a diesel engine, but this is a modern turbocharged gas engine. Can I rely on this for a 6k drain (nearly all highway)? Climate here is pretty mild, but I will be moving to Colorado in the next 60 days where cold temperature performance should be considered.

My next choice would probably be GC 0w-30 since this this OCI will be nearly all winter use, so something on the thin side would be nice. I've also heard good things about Castrol's 5w-40.. I'm open to anything, but as it stands I have 5 quarts of the Formula M in hand and would like to know if you guys would use it with confidence in this application ('09 Caliber SRT-4).

It won't make any significant difference if you use another approved major brand synthetic oil. Castrol Edge or Liqui Moly both make good oils, BUT if your manual or dealer says 0/40 use an 0/40.
Lots of owners think a particular brand is better, but in reality this forum has proved that the major brands are very similar in terms of the UOA and test results. What matters far more is a top quality service schedule designed to match the condition, use and driving style an engine has to suffer.
The quality of the oil and air filters is also very important and if in doubt use a manufacturers original, or at least something made in Germany or the USA.

M1 ESP is a very high quality oil. You have a great lube in your hands. I would be using with the utmost confidence.

It is my opinion, that it kicks the pants off of Castrol Syntec 5w40 and 0w30 (which are decent lubes as well). 6k highway should be a breeze for this oil.

Last edited:
+1.
This is not a long drain oil in most applications.
GC or M1 0W-40 would hold up better, and would also have better cold temperature starting numbers.
Caveat emptor.

I'm not extremely familiar with your application, but ESP is for diesel cars. Indeed, it's specifically formulated for diesel Mercedes.

It is extremely weak in additives compared to 0w40. Turbos need the goodie additives IMHO.

There *IS* a non-ESP version of Formula M 5w40 but it's only available from Mercedes dealerships and even it is weaker than 0w40.

The ESP version I wouldn't use in gas cars. I ran VOA on the ESP version and it's very weak compared to the non-ESP version and extremely weak compared to 0w40.

Just stick with something meant for long drains in gasoline cars. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt your car one time, but its additive package is weaker than just about any off the shelf oil for gasoline cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I'm not extremely familiar with your application, but ESP is for diesel cars. Indeed, it's specifically formulated for diesel Mercedes.

It is extremely weak in additives compared to 0w40. Turbos need the goodie additives IMHO.

There *IS* a non-ESP version of Formula M 5w40 but it's only available from Mercedes dealerships and even it is weaker than 0w40.

The ESP version I wouldn't use in gas cars. I ran VOA on the ESP version and it's very weak compared to the non-ESP version and extremely weak compared to 0w40.

Just stick with something meant for long drains in gasoline cars. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt your car one time, but its additive package is weaker than just about any off the shelf oil for gasoline cars.

Don't think Mobil 5w40 ESP has an inherent weak additives package as they are designed for high compression turbo diesel engine. they just uses more ashless type of additives instead of the usual ZDDP type.

Originally Posted By: Trex101

Don't think Mobil 5w40 ESP has an inherent weak additives package as they are designed for high compression turbo diesel engine. they just uses more ashless type of additives instead of the usual ZDDP type.

The problem is our gasoline here in the US. We have ultra low sulfur diesel, but apart from states like California, we don't have ultra low sulfur gasoline. And high sulfur content in fuel causes quicker additive package depletion in oil. That's why most German makes here allow for use of low SAPs oils (such as this ESP one) in their diesel engines but not in gasoline ones.

If you want to run extended drains in your gasoline engine, you're better off not using a low SAPs oil. But the 6K mile OCI that the OP is going to run is not an extended drain, so he'd be fine, regardless.

Mobil 5w40 ESP are designed to go 13k mile(MB 229.51), not exactly 15k like Mobil 5w30 EP but it's not short drain either.

It is 10,000 miles in the US and that is in diesel cars only (229.51 spec is diesel only). The diesel Mercedes engine isn't as hard on the oil. You *cannot* use it in a gasoline Mercedes, well you can do anything you like, but Mercedes does not approve it.

I know all this because I was accusing my dealer of using it in my car once and took this to the very top of MBUSA, etc. They weren't using it though, they were using the gasoline version (not ESP).

The TBN difference between the ESP product and regular Mobil 1 is quite big. The diesel oil just doesn't need as many additives to hold up. The gas engines are much harder on oil.

It (ESP product) is truly brilliant for it's diesel Mercedes application. Perfectly tailored to take the full extended drain in those vehicles.

It's not made to do that with a gasoline engine.

6k mile run probably is ok. However, even everyday viscosities of Mobil 1 have more additives than the ESP product. Just doesn't seem a reason to choose this outside the specific application.

Last edited:
SrChief;

You said this;

Originally Posted By: SrChief
Suggest you change to Pentosin HP II 5w-40 and be done with it.

I would like to welcome you to BITOG but I'm mystified as to why you would bring up an old thread and not even answer the OP's question?

Not really a good way to commence here IMO....................

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The problem is our gasoline here in the US. We have ultra low sulfur diesel, but apart from states like California, we don't have ultra low sulfur gasoline. And high sulfur content in fuel causes quicker additive package depletion in oil. That's why most German makes here allow for use of low SAPs oils (such as this ESP one) in their diesel engines but not in gasoline ones.

Pete is correct. But is this the ESP version? It has been discontinued and is no longer available. If you have the 5-40M, that is designed for 10-12k oci in Mercedes gas engines. I've seen those gas engines run over 400k miles on that oil. So if it is the M and not ESP, use it with confidence.

If you want to run extended drains in your gasoline engine, you're better off not using a low SAPs oil. But the 6K mile OCI that the OP is going to run is not an extended drain, so he'd be fine, regardless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back