Mobil1 EP or Mobil1 Full Synthetic High Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is EP that much better than M1 high mileage? I change my oil every 6-7K miles. I don't believe any oil will last 15k, especially in a 4 cylinder in city traffic... I care about spending the extra couple bucks for the EP, I just want to make sure I am putting the absolute best stuff in my car. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys!

What vehicle are you using it in?
How many miles are on it?
Is it burning or leaking oil?

The EP would be a waste for 7k miles, so debate regular Mobil 1 vs. the High Mileage.

"Let me know your thoughts"

Okay.

"Is EP that much better than M1 high mileage?" Not necessarily better but different.

"I don't believe any oil will last 15k" Believe what you want but you are wrong.

"I care about spending the extra couple bucks for the EP" Then don't. I know. You meant, don't care.

"I just want to make sure I am putting the absolute best stuff in my car." There is no best. Get that out of your head now and you will be better off.

You also need to read THIS if you want any meaningful advice. People here LOVE to tell you what oil to use and what they use.

No need for M1 EP or M1 HM....just do the 7k you are with plain old vanilla M1. It works!

Im using it now..for a 6 month run with a trd...overkill? Yep im very sure a plain fram orange can and dino would do it fine..but i went with the EP just to sleep well and well..its only a few bucks more..everyone will have a diff opinion..

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
+1 on regular M1

Most 4 cylinder engines are easier on oil than other engines like v6/v8s!
+2

I like synthetic.MA Has some cold weather and on start up and ability to flow. I would go with synthetic. Im not up on what EP is. Mobile One and a motorcraft filter costs me about 26.00 bucks
So about ten bucks difference between syn and regular oil with a filter. For the best oil,ten bucks more. My opinion.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
I like synthetic.MA Has some cold weather and on start up and ability to flow. I would go with synthetic. Im not up on what EP is. Mobile One and a motorcraft filter costs me about 26.00 bucks
So about ten bucks difference between syn and regular oil with a filter. For the best oil,ten bucks more. My opinion.

"Im not up on what EP is"...

EP is Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I believe it can go as long as 15K miles but, I'm not quite sure myself!

You are comparing 2 different animals. The EP is the extended performace "upgraded version" of regular Mobil 1. The other is Regular M1 with a High mileage formula to help prevent leaks and control oil burning - all features not in EP. Bottom line is the regular M1 can and has been proven to stand up to 10k mile changes. The EP is more robust but probably not needed in most applications. If your car leaks or burns oil - you go with the high mile version. If no leaks or oil burning - go EP or regular M1.

I personally use the EP because the price is reasonable at Walmart anyway so why not run the best version.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You are comparing 2 different animals. The EP is the extended performace "upgraded version" of regular Mobil 1. The other is Regular M1 with a High mileage formula to help prevent leaks and control oil burning - all features not in EP. Bottom line is the regular M1 can and has been proven to stand up to 10k mile changes. The EP is more robust but probably not needed in most applications. If your car leaks or burns oil - you go with the high mile version. If no leaks or oil burning - go EP or regular M1.

I personally use the EP because the price is reasonable at Walmart anyway so why not run the best version.

^This^

2009 Nissan Altima - 2.5 4 cylinder with 90K miles, it burns 1/4 - 1/2 quart every 4K miles. All I do is city driving.

thank you for your advice. I will find the best oil / filter for my car. I will keep networking.

Originally Posted By: Boston
2009 Nissan Altima - 2.5 4 cylinder with 90K miles, it burns 1/4 - 1/2 quart every 4K miles. All I do is city driving.

What are you using now, that gives that consumption rate? Chances are, if you are using conventional oil, consumption may increase initially. Personally, I would just try vanilla M1, but that is just me. If you want to try the best, put some Redline in it. I have found Redline to stop oil consumption, and it is arguably one of the finest base stocks available. Just like some people think Caviar is the "Best food".

Sometimes, best is not just in the eye of the beholder, it is better than you need.

Originally Posted By: Boston

My 2008 Rogue, same engine, ran great on PP5w-30, PP 5w-20, and Synpower 5w-30. All OCIs were one year, whatever mileage it was at the time.

Never tried M1 product, but for 6-7kmiles, I believe M1 vanilla flavour will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back