Mobil1 EP 0w20, 11k, 2013 Toyota RAV4 37,538

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the recent oil change from my 2013 Toyota RAV4. This is my first extended oil change, having just come off of the ToyotaCare free maintenance not too long ago. I'm not sure where the elevated silicon came from, it still had the factory air filter in it (replaced after the oil change). The only thing I can figure is maybe the receptacle I put the oil in was contaminated. I couldn't find my Blackstone kit so I put the oil in a new mini Ball jar and let the heat of the oil dissipating seal the lid. We'll see how it trends. Filter was FU.

13%20RAV4-021316.jpg

The higher level of silicone could be due to still washing out last bit of remaining silicone from motor being broken in?? Just a hypothesis on that could be wrong. The new air filter should obviously be a help. Also of possible note.. Check your air box to make sure it's really tight. If possible you can also use old panty hose up stream from your air filter to further help keep out contaminants. My car has a plastic opening/tunnel that leads to the air box. It had an opening that I taped shut with electrical tape. The flash point being slightly low is due to some fuel dilution. But nothing to be real worried about at all. This is a very good report overall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
The higher level of silicone could be due to still washing out last bit of remaining silicone from motor being broken in?? Just a hypothesis on that could be wrong. The new air filter should obviously be a help.

I'd buy sealant contamination before a faulty air filter.

Replacing the filter will have no benefit unless the filter or it's seal is damaged, or if it has abysmal efficiency. As the filter collects contaminates, it gains efficiency until it either fails or becomes such a great restriction drive-ability goes down.

I guess either way the silicone levels aren't hurting anything judging by the low wear metals.

I agree with you in that it's more likely sealant related.. It could be air filter related in terms of box/filter not sealing properly or if a similar setup like mine where there is a tunnel leading to the air box that is allowing particulate in.

The higher level of silicone could be due to still washing out last bit of remaining silicone from motor being broken in?? Just a hypothesis on that could be wrong. The new air filter should obviously be a help. Also of possible note.. Check your air box to make sure it's really tight. If possible you can also use old panty hose up stream from your air filter to further help keep out contaminants. My car has a plastic opening/tunnel that leads to the air box. It had an opening that I taped shut with electrical tape. The flash point being slightly low is due to some fuel dilution. But nothing to be real worried about at all. This is a very good report overall.

Toyota doesn't use silicone. Toyota uses form in place gasket (FIPG) which is urethane based, not RTV.

Silicon (not silicone) could have come from the glass jar.

Last edited:
The new air filter should obviously be a help.

New air filters are less efficient than some with some loading.

Quote:
panty hose up stream from your air filter to further help keep out contaminants.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anything a pantyhose would catch would be too big to ever be a problem. This isn't 1947.

Quote:
My car has a plastic opening/tunnel that leads to the air box. It had an opening that I taped shut with electrical tape.

[censored]. You should maybe quit posting.

Or maybe you can go find an isolated island and stay there for awhile. . . until you figure out how to act

Maybe you can understand pictures better... I'm not making that up. You would be just like that WORLD champion who was arguing with me about whether or not my car has a timing chain. He said it had a belt.. It doesn't. It's a chain. Stated in the manual. Anyhow my car has the exact setup I stated. And yes the tape did work just fine. It didn't need anything special done. The connection was just where two sections came together. I taped where the connection was located to seal it off. Air goes in air intake opening... Has a second section coming from air box. Where the two come together there was a very loose fit. Thus electrical tape sealed the connection. Ohh and the hose idea is not my own but another member who uses it a lot.

Last edited:
Maybe you can understand pictures better... I'm not making that up. You would be just like that WORLD champion who was arguing with me about whether or not my car has a timing chain. He said it had a belt.. It doesn't. It's a chain. Stated in the manual. Anyhow my car has the exact setup I stated. And yes the tape did work just fine. It didn't need anything special done. The connection was just where two sections came together. I taped where the connection was located to seal it off. Air goes in air intake opening... Has a second section coming from air box. Where the two come together there was a very loose fit. Thus electrical tape sealed the connection. Ohh and the hose idea is not my own but another member who uses it a lot.

I used discarded pantyhose in all my cars for many years. It catches large debris, sands and some dirt so that the actual filter has easier time to do its jobs of filtering finer dirt.

I clean or replace the pantyhose once a year without disturbing the air box, change the filter every 40-50k miles. The filter was fairly clean but the seal wasn't as soft as new.

Instead throwing a discarded pantyhose into a trash can why not use it for something that may be benefit ?

Originally Posted By: KingCake
The new air filter should obviously be a help.

New air filters are less efficient than some with some loading.

That's fine and dandy assuming there isn't something physically wrong with the filter in the first place, such as a faulty seal. So, it's certainly not out of the question to hope for better results with a new filter, and ensuring that it fits properly and is seated properly. And, that was already pointed out as to the obvious reason as why bbhero stated this. So, quit hammering members about something that's already been explained, and then state the obvious like it's some fantastic revelation, thanks.

And, while it may not be 1947, prefilters do have their place, still.

Originally Posted By: Garak
And, while it may not be 1947, prefilters do have their place, still.
Yep; my 2015 came from the factory with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back