Mobil1 consumption rates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious to know what wt oil of Mobil1 would most likey have the higher consumption rates between 5w-30 and 10w-30? I hear that the noak #'s can reveal a little information on consumption and burn off but I can't seem to find much info on this with mobil1. I just can't really decide on which of these two weight to use if the weather never gets below 15 deg F and I want the least amount of consumption. Thanks for any input guys.
smile.gif

10W-30 should give you slightly less consumption especially if you do lots of short trips. But over and above that 10W-30 is a better oil and seems to give better wear numbers-IMHO. You really don't need 5W in Virginia. I'm in Pa. and use the 10W for years.

Run their 10w-30 and you'll probably do a bit better. The M1, 0w-30 seems to be the stuff I see the most complaints about when it comes to oil consumption. Of course most folks are running it in very high revving, hot running four cylinder engines, so thats not surprising.

TooSlick

Each engine is different too. Ultimately you may have to try both in your car and compare if you really want to know for sure. Or else just rely on opinions & experiences expressed here. I use M1 5W30 in a Maxima and it doesn't consume a drop in 5K.
smile.gif
Unfortunately, I also have a 4 cyl Altima that used a noticeable amount of dino when I ran 5W30. Switched to M1 10W30. It still uses some, but much less than dino 5W30. My E150 Ford van also uses less oil when I switched from 5W30 to 10W30, both dino oils. I suspect these are real life applications of Al's logic.

I've used Mobil 1 5w30, 10w30, and 0w30 in my vehicles and seen no difference in consumption between the three. I'm currently using the 0w40 in my van, but it hasn't been in there long enough to see if there will be a consumption issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back