Mobil1, Castrol, dino, synthetic?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, it is time to bring my trans am out of storage for the winter. Currently all i have run in it is castrol gtx. I thought about royal purple, but was skeptical about it and after seeing Patman's oil analysis, I don't think I want that in my LS1. So would you stick with the castrol gtx or make the change to mobil 1. I still think that the mobil 1 is a little on the thin side, especially for the LS1, although 90% of people I talk to with either LS1 fbody's or corvette's run it? One more thing, I would not even be considering the mobil 1, but at a couple stores around here it is priced at $3.30 a qt. The car is a weekend driver so I don't put that many miles on it and end up changing it more often than need be which is why synthetic might be waste for me, but $3.30 a qt. for mobil 1 is
cool.gif
. Thoughts, Opinions, Suggestions?

You keep it stored in the winter and do not drive it that much (only weekends).
I would say use what you have been using (Castrol GTX) and you would be doing just fine.

Steven
patriot.gif

P.S.
I use to be synthetic only, but for me dino's are so much better now and they work for me.
Went back to Pennzoil, 3,000 mile changes are just fine with the EZ drain oil plug, no mess and quick and very easy.
It sure is better paying 8.54 to change it myself instead of $25.00 or more.
Like I said it works for me, so that is what matters.

Bye,
Steven

If you're gonna stick with 3k intervals, stick with the GTX. As a matter of fact, 10w40 GTX has produced the lowest wear metals on an LS1 that I've seen so far.

First let me say I am a great believer in Castrol GTX. I have a toyota cressida with 250,000 running great using this stuff and 3000 mile changes. I do however believe that synthetic will protect better and go longer. I believe if you keep cars like I do forever use a good synthetic. I know of many old car owners who used mobil 1 and 5000 mile changes and their cars burn less oil than mine. My new car is getting synthetic.

[ April 04, 2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: TR3-2001SE ]

I do take the car to the dragstrip a couple times a year and also autocross 1 or 2 weekends a year, would the castrol gtx still be ok? I know the engine is not going to blow up at the dragstrip if I run dino, but wouldn't the synthetic provide a little extra protection?

[ April 04, 2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: ramair8 ]

Anyone have any thoughts on the dino oil holding up during drag racing and autocrossing? Obviously I don't expect the engine to blow up if I run dino, but I am somewhat worried about low oil pressure, thinning out during auto crossing? I only have about 6000 miles on the car right now and have taken it to the drag strip a couple times and have not had any problems with the gtx, but the high rpm's are not sustained like autocrossing? My other concern is it will start drinking mobil 1 like crazy since it is so thin during auto crossing.

quote:

Originally posted by ramair8:
Ok, it is time to bring my trans am out of storage for the winter. Currently all i have run in it is castrol gtx. I thought about royal purple, but was skeptical about it and after seeing Patman's oil analysis, I don't think I want that in my LS1. So would you stick with the castrol gtx or make the change to mobil 1. I still think that the mobil 1 is a little on the thin side, especially for the LS1, although 90% of people I talk to with either LS1 fbody's or corvette's run it? One more thing, I would not even be considering the mobil 1, but at a couple stores around here it is priced at $3.30 a qt. T

I have used Castrol GTX all my life. OK, sometimes I use Castrol HD-30, especially in 302 V-8, 351 V-8 big-inch engines.
In the old days, Castrol GTX had no moly. Now, I am told it has moly. But moly or no moly, I have never had engine trouble with Castrol GTX.
For the past 1 or more years, I have been scopin' out the Castrol Syntec on the shelves. Thanks to this site, I now know not to try Castrol Syntec. It thins out.
I am always looking for something better. Even though Castrol GTX is excellent, I believe there must be something better than GTX out there. I believe it is Schaeffer, but I just can't get my hands on the stuff!
If you will excuse me, I got to get on the phone and dial the Schaeffer 1-800 number.

P.S.:-- Do not use M*1. When you start the car from cold in the morning, it'll sound like the engine is in self-destruct mode.

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
P.S.:-- Do not use M*1. When you start the car from cold in the morning, it'll sound like the engine is in self-destruct mode.

I had Mobil 1 10w-30 in my '95 Taurus SHO and whenever I started it it would make a clacking noise for a split second. Switched over to the GTX and it stopped doing the noise.
dunno.gif

Doesn't Mobil 1 flow better in the cold?

Hello ,
I too would hear a crackling sound upon start up using pennsoil 5W30 on my 2000 Ford Conversion Van with a 5.4 litre ... I switched from using fram oil filters to Ford's motorcraft and the crackling upon start up stopped ... :Larry B.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy2:

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:

I had Mobil 1 10w-30 in my '95 Taurus SHO and whenever I started it it would make a clacking noise for a split second. Switched over to the GTX and it stopped doing the noise.
dunno.gif

Doesn't Mobil 1 flow better in the cold?

M*1 flowing better in the cold? Listen, you will read about and hear about these new-fangled synthetic snake oils being capable of everything....even making your car drive on water, and even resurrecting itself from under the crusher. That is theory. Real life is not so simple.

I am no oil expert, but I have logged more than 1 million miles in a variety of cars, not one of which has had its valve cover off. And I do not like the sound made by a M*1 filled car.

Having said that, not ALL syn oils are a bad idea. I would like to try Schaeffer one day. Also the German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 if I can get it. But if I cannot get those 2, I think I will stick with good old dinosaur juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back