Mobil1 being replaced in favor of Castrol at Wal-Mart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to two local Wal-Marts here in Middle TN (Franklin and Columbia) looking for a 5qt jug of M1 10w30. There are no more 5qt jugs anywhere! There were the usual single Qt jugs at $4.77 each, but not a single 5qt jug of any M1! Just a couple months ago, either of these WalMarts carried 5w30, 10w30, and 15w50 5qt jugs. Now there all gone, replaced by 5 qt jugs of Castrol.

The shelves were full of Castrol Drive Hard, Syntec Blend, and some other standard-issue looking Castrol product for just under $10, all of them 5qt jugs. The heck of it is, none of the synthetic 5qt/single qt's are GC, they're all domestic-made.

Hopefully this is just a phase for WalMart and will bring M1 back. P-P-Please bring M1 back. Soon.

This is probably true. I have seen a trend at WM around here as well. WIDE selection of Castrol, very poor selection of Mobil1. As mentioned on this board, Mobil1 apparently has decided to start making some real money on their oil, and has raised the price significantly. That, coupled with WalMart's marketing scheme of suppliers "fronting" them all of their products, just seems like Mobil has decided to be a bit more "aggressive" with their marketing. WalMart, knowing a good thing (marketing wise) when they see one, will probably push Castrol for as long as they will continue to "give" them oil.

You guys in the US would envy us Canadians then, because our Walmarts have GC, Delvac 1, and now have 5L jugs of Mobil 1. I just wish we could get 0w40 M1 there, and also wish that any brand of 5w40 would get sold there (we used to get Havoline 5w40 but not anymore)

Suppliers do not front WalMart product. We are their major supplier for their Sam's Choice and Great Value Syrups, Jellies & Preserves, Salsa, BBQ Sauce, and Chocolate Syrup. We are paid for every order. I'm sure it is the same for other products as well.

Not to say they don't try and squeeze us for every dime they can, but we do not front them product. When you see the dot rolling back the prices, it's coming from our margin, not theirs believe me.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
I hope you are wrong Steve....I really do!
Rick

Steve? Who's Steve?

Thanks,
Mike

cheers.gif

Be happy, I am. 30 weight ACEA A5 oils, a useable 5w-30! 10w-40 and 5w-50 ACEA A3 oil and esters mentioned on website now. All for $3.75/quart.
grin.gif

Mogul 1 will be formulating for 30 weight ACEA A5, we are asked to pay for the costs involved now.
dunno.gif

Considering my current inventory, I consider Wal-Mart a small-scale operation when it comes to handling Castrol products.
grin.gif

I went to 2 different Wal Marts on the same day and 1 had the 5 quart jugs and the other didn't. Also, the store which had the 5 quart jugs was selling single quarts cheaper than the 5 quart jugs when you do the math, but the other store was selling the quarts for more money!
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
So much for operational consistency throughout the Wal-Mart family, huh?

It's definitely not consistent up here. For oil, both of the Walmarts I frequent charge the same prices, but for other things I buy there is a definite varience. One store charges $24 for the big pack of diapers I buy for my son, while the other one charges $19 for the same ones! That always blows me away, I figured they all had to set their prices identically.
dunno.gif

The wal-mart near my house sells the casrol syn 5 quart jugs for 18.88 now and the mobil 1 5 quart jugs for 22 something. I did not ask, but this is just something they do. Next it will be valvoline or penzoil.

The penzoil dino is 1.44 / quart, this aslo seems to change every couple of months, they will but a major dino brand on sale.

You have to be careful what you buy at WalMart.
They are in some cases more expensive than everyone else. But they are figuring that most people think they are cheaper on everything.
So things people buy every week or monthly WalMart keeps the prices low. But just go looking for something that is normally not advertised at discount prices and you will pay through the nose. I have a friend that worked at their Pharmacy and she said at least 30% of there drugs were priced higher than anyone else around.
I'm told the best time to buy at Walmart is when they first open a store. After about a year they start raising the prices through out the store.
I figure that the system they use tracks everything in the store. They raise and lower the prices based on their rate of turn over in stock.
Things like your 5 qt jugs were flying off the shelf so they can raise the price. The old supply and demand argument in use.

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
I'm told the best time to buy at Walmart is when they first open a store. After about a year they start raising the prices through out the store.

Opportunity is knocking for me then...a new, massive Wal-Mart is going up about 3 miles from my house. Maybe they will have all the latest versions of of the lubrication engineer's art.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:

Opportunity is knocking for me then...a new, massive Wal-Mart is going up about 3 miles from my house. Maybe they will have all the latest versions of of the lubrication engineer's art.

Didn't work for me... We have a store that is about 2 weeks old, a supercenter no less... All prices were the same as the wallyworld in my town...

...bummer...well, it was worth a shot...still, just like the rest of the world, I will HAVE to stop by when the new one opens...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back