Mobil1 Ann Prot 20K Road Trip-Test Results Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
IMO, Mobil 1 has always been and still is one of the best oils on the market.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-performance

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-modern-engines

The areas I believe M1 has always excelled in are:

1. Superior oxidation resistance
2. Turbo charger deposit resistance
3. Always ahead and up to date on latest specifications (7 years a head on SN Plus while still maintaining longer drain oils; as well as actually meet SA requirements for dexos 1 Gen 2)

Even if it was provable that M1 showed 10-20% higher Fe wear rates, I'd still put it at the top.

The SEQ IVA is the staple industry wear test, and almost all oils fall well below the 90 mircon limit.

In my 40 years of using M1 oils, no engine of mine ever showed any sign of wear, varnish, or any reason 10K OCIs should be shortened. In my last three engines (2.0, 2,3, 2.5 Duratech) using M1 0-20 all engines performed very well. Miles using 0-20 at around 450K.

Clarification tig1...requested yet again.

your 450k miles...is that one engine at 450k miles that has displayed no wear ? ...measured wear.

or a number of engines that you have had that have cumulatively achieved 450k miles with, that you have no evidence of excessive wear between them ?

I should have mentioned though that some oils do perform significantly better on the IVA than others. Castrol has shown to perform very well in the IVA.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: deven
I will admit that it's nice to have a really good report to brag to everyone on here

Wow, really? How old are you? UOAs are meant to be trended. It's not a [censored] contest about who has the lowest wear metals on ONE uoa!

There is no need to be insulting here, I'm sure I'm not alone in my thoughts here. Even if UOAs aren't a perfect indicator of engine wear, everyone loves to get a good report. It doesn't mean I'm immature, and frankly I don't care for your tone.

Wasn't trying to be insulting. Just surprised that a member who joined in 2002 has that mindset about UOAs....

Used Mobil I since about 1978 with no problems. As good of oil as Mobil I is, it couldn't have done a thing for the 66 Dart I special ordered.Half a century later, that Dart is high on my list of the wrong and/or poor choices I have made across the years. BAH HUMBUG Chrysler Corp, no matter what the iteration.

I thought Patman was clear in his comment. Members have posted a uoa with barely any wear metals and it is a good feeling to have. We all understand that the uoa is a snapshot and a tool for finding trends. Who wouldn’t be happy to run 10k and come up with single digits in wear metals versus the other possibilities?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I thought Patman was clear in his comment. Members have posted a uoa with barely any wear metals and it is a good feeling to have. We all understand that the uoa is a snapshot and a tool for finding trends. Who wouldn’t be happy to run 10k and come up with single digits in wear metals versus the other possibilities?

I will admit that it's nice to have a really good report to brag to everyone

The operative word is "brag". It's silly to brag about UOAs just because your UOAs have low wear metals. We're here to share not brag!

Let it go Deven
smile.gif

I bet good money Patman meant that it a different way. Not meant to be trifling. It was just a figure of speech.

Remember my friend... Typing or reading stuff on here is very easy to misinterpret. It's the nature of writing or typed msgs. This medium is very easy to take things in a wrong way.
We all need to be patient with each other on here. Myself included
smile.gif

Last edited:
I should not have used the word brag, I'm sorry, the better way to say it is that everyone feels happy to post good UOAs, even if we know that they might not tell the entire story about engine wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back