Mobil1 5W30ESP VW1.8T EA888 Alltrack, 5011 miles, APR Tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

Thought I'd post this as a "before and after tune", since some folks may find it helpful. Here is the first UOA before my stage 1 tune:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...5w30esp-vw1-8t-ea888-alltrack-5077-miles

Here the UOA with 5K on it, same oil and same driving patterns:
ZW6q5Md

A couple of thoughts:
-I'd disregard oxidation comments (and TBN). Starting oxidation on this oil is ~26, so I don't think this is anything to worry about (wasn't flagged at all on the previous UOA?).
-TBN is pretty high considering the low starting number
-wear metals are again ridiculously low
-Si from the first UOA was, I'm almost certain, due to dirt on the extraction device. I was more careful this time
-viscosity is down, due to the fuel. I suspected this would happen based on UOA's I've seen of past APR tunes

Overall, while I think the oil could go longer, I'm not sure I'd push it to the 10K factory interval with that much fuel in the oil? I'll probably run it out to 7.5K next time and see how it's doing--or I may just stick to 5K (which is APR's recommendation).

Screenshot (56).png

Last edited:
wear metal looks goodðŸ‘. As for the oxadiation, looks like its a normal ting for gtl oils. Had similar problems with shell helix ultra ect c2/c3 0w-30.

Great wear metals and an awesome vehicle! I test drove an Alltrack with a stick but it sold the next day.

The Alltrack is seldom seem in most parts of the USA.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting...ESP is a VW 504 oil correct? "Wear metals" are phenomenal. It does appear to be a 7.5k oil at least, though like you I am conflicted on oil change intervals for the VW.

Alltracks are cool, not cheap though for a well optioned one.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Great wear metals and an awesome vehicle! I test drove an Alltrack with a stick but it sold the next day.

The Alltrack is seldom seem in most parts of the USA.

Yeah, I think you're right there, based on Alltrack sales numbers. Funny thing is that there are 3 more Alltracks within a 5 block radius of my house! I guess these are folks who didn't want to buy an Outback for fear of not being able to find their car in the REI parking lot... Welcome to Seattle! Mine is a stick as well and I'm guessing this will be one of the last of the manual transmission wagons, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Thanks for posting...ESP is a VW 504 oil correct? "Wear metals" are phenomenal. It does appear to be a 7.5k oil at least, though like you I am conflicted on oil change intervals for the VW.

Alltracks are cool, not cheap though for a well optioned one.

I bought mine about 1.5 years ago, and they were giving these things away due to the dieselgate thing. It was almost 9K off of the list price. Normally I'd go for a 2 year off-lease car vs. new, but at that price I couldn't pass it up. I'd agree though, the list price seems a bit high.

Yep, ESP is a 504/507 oil. This is the older "Formula" version. I got it at ECS, who still seem to have plenty in stock. They also have the best price on it. I think that even with the fuel in the oil, my driving style is such that I could/should go longer than 5K. I never short trip, and this car seems some good highway trips. Didn't want a black car, but couldn't pass up the deal:

20180907_192115 (1).jpg

the discontinued i believe sportwagen is a deal, especially if you get a stick + no other options. if i were in the market i would have one. here in Pa i run 10-30 oils mostly, my 2001 TT gets Redline as its small 4.25 qt capacity. oil changes are cheap insurance. i change oil after a good run when its hottest jack the car so oil drain plug is lowest + let it drain an hour or so-retired. not a fan of extractors!!

Originally Posted by Gubkin
Oxidation in fresh oil - esters, about 5% in fresh oil
TBN is LOW
Don't increase OCI

Is 3.14 actually that low with a starting TBN of ~5? I realize the absolute value matters as well, but it seems like this could easily go a bit longer given that it's only dropped about 40% over 5K?

That said, I'm not 100% decided on OCI. I did not change the filter on the most recent change, and I'm learning towards 5K on the fluid, 10K on the filter.

Thanks for clarifying it's the older formula of ESP, as your results appear to be exceptional no doubt. Just a cool car...

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
wear metal looks goodðŸ‘. As for the oxadiation, looks like its a normal ting for gtl oils. Had similar problems with shell helix ultra ect c2/c3 0w-30.

This is old version. I had higher oxidation when doing UOA of this oil in my Tiguan. It is normal for this old, and better, version of ESP.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by Gubkin
Oxidation in fresh oil - esters, about 5% in fresh oil
TBN is LOW
Don't increase OCI

Is 3.14 actually that low with a starting TBN of ~5? I realize the absolute value matters as well, but it seems like this could easily go a bit longer given that it's only dropped about 40% over 5K?

That said, I'm not 100% decided on OCI. I did not change the filter on the most recent change, and I'm learning towards 5K on the fluid, 10K on the filter.

Starting TBN is 5.6. At 3.14 it is excellent.

Originally Posted by edyvw

This is old version. I had higher oxidation when doing UOA of this oil in my Tiguan. It is normal for this old, and better, version of ESP.

ok, didnt know that. Looks like many mobil1 oils have high oxidation numbers from new.

Originally Posted by edyvw

ok, didnt know that. Looks like many mobil1 oils have high oxidation numbers from new.

yeah, this version was showing oxidation of mid 20's to low 30's when new in a couple of different VOA's--I believe because of the significant amount of esters used.

Old ESP is called "Formula ESP" and comes in liter bottles.

New version is just called "ESP" and comes in quart bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back