Mobil1 5W-30 + K&N oil filter - Nissan Sentra SE-R 2003 - 10000km / 6200mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here my very first oil analysis done.

The report is in French but I've provided a quick translation below.

Sample: Mobil1 5W-30 SuperSyn engine oil
Tested on: Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V 2003 2.5L
Period: 30000 @ 40000km / 10000km or 6200mi
Oil Filter: K&N HP-1010

Result:
 -

Analysis results
- SAE viscosity is normal [9.3 to - Typical infrared spectrum [did'nt oxidized]
- No chemical contamination
- Metals presence in normal quantity
- TBN Normal

Interpretation and recommendation
- Condition of the engine oil is normal
- The metals determined by ICP shown a normal wear level to the engine block
- Sample at regular schecule to establish tendencies and optimize the life spawn of the lubrificant.

Analysis results
Viscosity @ 40*C (D445): Typical: 53.7 - Mine: 67.1
Viscosity @ 100*C (D445): Typical: 9.7 - Mine: 11.2
Viscosity Index (D2270): Typical: 169 - Mine: 160
TBN (D2896): Typical: 8.31 - Mine: 7.40
Water (Crackling): Typical: NIL - Mine: NIL
Infrared Spectrum: Typical: Conform - Mine: Conform
Color: Typical: 4.5 - Mine: H8

Metals Trace by ICP-AES SP - ASTM D5185
Ag: - / N
Al: 8.9 / N
B: 152 / A
Ba: 0.7 / N
Ca: 2700 / A
Cr: 1.5 / N
Cu: 10.0 /N
Fe: 26 / N
Mg: 23 / A
Mo: 87 / N
Na: 13 / N
Ni: - / N
P: 789 / A
Pb: 3.3 / N
Si: 11 / N
Sn: - / N
Zn: 976 / A
Code Legend: A = Additive - N = Normal - Z = Limit - C = Critical point

So, looking good I guess! Also, the guy at the lab told me that Mobil1 could do much more than 10000km in is opinion... at least much more than Castrol Syntec, which is a popular synthetic oil here.

Also, I guess the K&N filter help to maintain the oil in good condition over that extended period.

AnGel, I have the same car, same QR25DE engine ... and live about 2 1/2 hours south of you.

This report looks good, but not exactly great. Search this forum using the term "QR25DE" for additional info to compare yours to, including mine.

As for the K&N, I wouldn't worry about the silicon as long as it's maintained properly ... but I would worry about the MAF sensor.
shocked.gif

And thanks for the translation. I've forgotten 95% of my junior high school French.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

[ November 20, 2004, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

Well, the Si si good so any iron wear is not due to dirt, IMO the iron is not too bad but like all analysis a trend is needed to see where the iron is going

Well this was posted on the Sentra Board and like I said there..There may be a small coolant leak. Mobil 1 never thickens like that and with the iron that high it bears watching. I wouldn't go any further than this milage on the change and would do another analysis next time.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
...There may be a small coolant leak. Mobil 1 never thickens like...

Yep, I saw that with one of my UOAs with a confirmed coolant leak. With supposedly no water or glycol found in the sample the engine might of leaked coolant and then later sealed itself somehow.

offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
...I've forgotten 95% of my junior high school French...
wink.gif

Hmmm...you must be close to my age.
grin.gif
Let me guess, you were an Honor Student in NYS where they required to study a foreign language in Junior High?

Thank you all for the comments!

As AL said, he think I may have a coolant leak due to the thickness and high Na presence but as 427Z06 said also, there was no presence of H2O...

Some things I forgot to said that may help to understand.

First, the QR25 engine is equipped of a balancer shaft unit embedded into the oil pan. This egg beater turn twice the speed of the engine (so up to 12500RPM) to diminish natural vibration of big inline-4 but also beat the oil to death. This certaintly can degrade the oil with time no?

Second, there's been 2 drag sessions over this 10000km, so about 50 runs of ¼ start and go. Otherwise, my driving habbits are normal, most highway at decent speed and I never beat a cold engine.

And third, the engine has always got Mobil1 SuperSyn 5W-30 since 3000km and never burn oil yet.

Over the report, I've noticed that Pour and Flash point are not there... is thoses are supposed to shown or they are optional tests?

Oh and here's the website of the company who done the analysis:
http://www.tribospec.com/accueil.php

Bror Jace: That's cool! I've found your analysis post and results look quite similar with your RedLine one... As for the K&N, I've mention it was the OIL filter so not related to the MAF. On the other end, I also have a K&N AIR filter (OEM box drop-in) since the begining and my MAF never got into trouble
smile.gif

[ November 22, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: AnGeL ]

quote:

Originally posted by AnGeL:
As AL said, he think I may have a coolant leak due to the thickness and high Na presence but as 427Z06 said also, there was no presence of H2O..

. Over the report, I've noticed that Pour and Flash point are not there... is thoses are supposed to shown or they are optional tests?
)

A coolant won't show up with presence of water or even an indication for coolant unless it very bad.

Seldom do you get a pour point #. And apparently you didn't get a flash point. Apparently that's just something that is not included with their test.

Geez, forgot to post a response in this thread.
rolleyes.gif

Nope, I wasn't an honor roll student. It's much worse, I went to a preppy, private high school where foreign languages were a must for 2+ years.

For the record, I'm 37.
shocked.gif

AnGel, good for you that your MAF is OK to date ... but I'm not nearly that brave.
spaz.gif

I'm running Schaeffer 5W-30 in my SpecV beast right now and it appears to be doing better than it did with Red Line ... but the Red Line usage was during the winter. Not a fair comparison.

Even those 'weighted egg beaters' were not enough to thrash the Schaeffer oil below a 30 weight after even 5,000+ miles ... and wear was really low, too.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back