Mobil1 15w/50 car oil, Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike= 2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R 14,006 miles
22 hours on oil. Oil is Mobil1 15W/50 car oil.
Comments= Taking the sample cold is the reason that we found moisture. It should drop out next time, especially if you run the engine prior to sampling. Wear in your Kawasaki looks great, better than most 1200cc engines we see come through here. The TBN read 14.6 so this oil is chock full of active additive. Looking good! Double this oil change and then check back.
Aluminum 3
Chromium 0
Iron 3
Copper 1
Lead 1
Tin 0
Molybdenum 59
Nickle 1
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 1
Boron 192
Silicon 2
Sodium 6
Calcium 2236
Magnesium 11
Phosphorus 942
Zinc 978
Barium 0

Sus viscosity @ 210 deg. 84.1
Flashpoint 440 Deg.
Fuel % 0.5
Water % 0.1
Insolubles 0.1

thanks fox-racing-guy! i have a 04' zrx1200r, galaxy silver. bone stock except for tank bra. did the first 600mi oil change myself sticking to dino..valvoline all climate 10-40. next up, the 1000 mi change w/ either the delvc 1300 super 15-40, or with a posted analysis like this, maybe the new goldcap 15-50
cheers.gif
fun bike to ride thats for sure..comfotable and fast. 05' was the last yr for em' here. mine has 744 miles on it. average miles for an 04' bike above 750cc=10,600! ride my sporty 1200 mostly. don't ride the zrx when i'm w/ the hd buddies. always have to pull over and take a nap, so they can catch up!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Here's a good link for you penzdude, www.zrxoa.org Here you can learn more than you want to know about your ZRX and how to mod it correctly. Once you join burn your credit cards. I use the same screen name there as well as the other 10 motorcycle message boards I belong to.

yeah, i have spent alot of time on lurking on that site. the only thing i don't like about it is when someone new asks a question, it seems like no one gives a serious answer. it seems to turn into a see who can give the funniest or smart alecky reply. example..when someone asks what weight and or brand of oil they are using in thier zrx's, you always get the "oilive oil, ear wax, straight 30wt non-detergent blah blah replys...anyway, since they aren't bringing the zrx's to the usa anymore, i'm leaning towards keeping the bike stock. even the can. don't see many around here anyways. i have seen a total of 2 on the rd since i bought mine, both the candy lime greens. i get alot of looks and questions about it though. one guy told me "nice kz!". lol. i usualy just tell em' nah, it more of a eddie lawson replica. than i get the real blank stares. i found a local parts store that carries the wix filters for it. it includes both o rings w/ the filter. kawasaki charges you extra for them. the larger of the two, costing as much as the filter itself.
nono.gif
good talking to ya man.

here's some more filter options for your ZRX
gr_eek2.gif

AC Delco PF2170
Amsoil SMF101
Baldwin P148
Big A 96940
Car Quest 89940
Emgo 10-37500
FIAAM FA4917
Fram CH-6012
Hastings LF571
HIFLO HF401
Honda 15410-426-010
JC Whitney AGV021561Y (They will send you a Emgo)
K&N KN401
Kawasaki 16099-003
Knecht AF62
Luber-Finer P7011
MANN MH814
NAPA 4941
Parts Unlimited K15-0003
PERF FORM J501
Purolator ML16812
STP SMO-12
Superior 21-8040
Triumph 1210031
Vesrah SF-4004
WIX 24941
Yamaha 36Y-13441-00

very helpful! thanks fox! do the zrx1100 and zrx1200 use the same filter? great info. thanks again man. what mods have ya done to your zed?

Yes all those filters will fit the 1100 or 1200 and I have at least 1 of each listed. Mods to my ZRX are
Full Akrapovic exhaust Ti Can
Dyno-Jet Stage3 jet kit
K&N Pod filters ( Much easier to remove carbs)
Ohlins rear shocks & Fork springs
Galfer SS brake lines front & rear
Hyperpro Steering Damper
16/44 sprockets with RK GXW chain
Pingel fuel petcock
Muzzy Alum fan & rear spools
Arata rear sets
Champs frame sliders
Ted383 (ZRXOA Board member) pipe hanger, fender eliminator, chain guard, battery out kit, & horn bracket.
Renntec rear rack
SS socket head engine bolt kit
clear tail light with LED bulbs & turn signals
Greg Couch fork brace & rear upper shock spools
Last Dyno pull was 133RWHP
Plus I have 9 other motorcycles

fox,
very good numbers you got there.
even your flashpoint is high with 0.5% fuel.
and that sus viscosity is NICE!

imagine that, from a car oil. ha ha ha!!!

fox, my friend, that sounds like one heck of a bike! i will look for some of your posts on the zrx forums. do you have a pic you can post of your bike? what are the other scoots you have? my friends and i rode today. cold, overcast, but fun to get out none the less. weird group today. a valk, sportster 1200, yamie royal star midnight venture, and a suzy volusia 805cc. we took off, i held the lead on the xlh 1200 till about 70, and then had my paint pulled off when the valk and venture walked me. stayed ahead of the volusia anyway.
blush.gif
.told em' next time i was bringing the zero...my nickname for the zrx, lol
cheers.gif

Other bikes are
2006 Yamaha R1LE ( inside house, not a rider)
2003 Ducati 999S ( inside house, not a rider)
2004 Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter
2004 Honda CRF50F
2003 KTM Duke 2
2003 KTM 450 SX ( MX bike )
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1979 Yamaha XS1100 (182,000 miles)
1977 Yamaha RD400
1974 Yamaha RD350
1973 Yamaha RD350

I can't post pics here because I'm not keen on the hosted image thing. I can E-mail them or I think there is pics of my ZRX at least on the ZRX board. I forgot a few mods to the ZRX also.
Damperless clutch hub
Hyperplates Aluminum clutch plates
Ferodo clutch frictions & springs
Sargent solo seat.

[ February 06, 2006, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: fox_racing_guy ]

holy smokes! that r1LE sure is nice. i like the old yellow and black, race team look. i bet the duc is a looker as well. i remember a fella in my neighborhood when i was a teenager that had a rd 350. weren't they 2 strokes? anyway, he said he used to dust off cb 750s w/ the dang thang. i was always partial to yamahas when i was younger. if i had the money these days, i guess the new kawasaki zx14 ninja would be nice, and the new white hyabusa looks nice. i am 6'2" 225 give or take a Lb, and am 45 yrs old, so those two, being very large steamliners would be the ticket. the r1's, zx10's, gsx's, look small and uncomfortable in comparison, although would probably shred the zx14 or busa in the twisties. still we forgot our zrx 1200's. comfortable, fast, torque city. i don't think, although i have rode some sort of motorcycle since pre teen days, that my skills are where i could really appreciate the performance that some of these new bikes have. absolutly incredible. 1/4 mile times in the 9 sec range and top ends sometimes over 200mph. all for the price of a stripped down econobox. heck, even less.
shocked.gif

Yes the RD's are 2 strokes and lots of fun. Alot of these young guns can't belive how a 1973 little 350 can pull wheelies. I'm 38 now and don't do to much show boating any longer but the ZRX will pull nice wheelies in 2nd gear with the 16/44 sprockets. I also had a 2002 Yamaha R1 with a Graves built motor that pulled 177 RWHP. It would power wheelie (no clutch) in 3rd no problem. As I get older now I notice my reaction time is not what it use to be and I keep it pretty mello on the street now. I do love my ZRX and it is probably my favorite "do everything" motorcycle now and I've met some very great people & close friends from the ZRXOA that are alot of fun to ride with and don't need to go 150MPH every time we ride like the young guns on pure sportbikes. I can still ride sportbikes in comfort all day though but I'd rather just look at them in my living room now rather than ride them. I think my next new bike will be either the new Yamaha FZ1 or the KTM 990 Supermoto if they fuel inject it next year. I hate jetting carbs now-a-days and really like FI bikes.

man, that must be a **** of a living room! i have dozens of bikes in mine as well, problem is thay are all 1:43 scale, and are on a shelf!
wink.gif
how about the z1000? kinda cool looking. actualy looked at the honda 919 before i bought the zrx. kinda on the small side, and 900cc just ain't a 1200. plus at the time it was this asphalt black color. looked like primer. nay. the fz1 was sold out at the dealership, so, kawa it was. i have a friend, rob, who just bought a cbr1000rr. kind of a charcoal color, w/ silver. very nice looking bike, and from what i have heard, blistering fast.
burnout.gif

I'm old(er), too. I found the only way I could keep the speed down (some) was to get on a cruiser. I still run it wide open a time or two, but, it's much easier for me to be more reasonable when the bike isn't built to go 150+! Hopefully, I'll now live to be a ripe old age. Be careful out there, fellas!

thanks titan, you be careful as well! what kind of cruiser do you have? i looked at some lit on the new vulcan 900 lt by kawasaki. seems to be after the segment who wants more umphf than the 650, 750, 800 range, without going to the biggies. funny, remember when the 900cc bikes were considered huge?

Yep, I remember! Or, I at least recognize some of the old black and white photos of me on some of those bikes.
rolleyes.gif

I have a 1500 Classic. And yes, I put Vance and Hines Straight Shots on it, an aftermarket cold air intake system (they ran the air from the top of the engine, across a filter, through a straw that goes between the cylinders, and into the other side before going into the throttle body...talk about a convoluted HOT air route), and an after-market Fuel Injection system. NOW, it has nearly 70 HP at the wheel instead of the stock 51-52. See, the desire to go fast is still there, it's just that I limit the amount I can turn it up by selecting a engine/chassis that can't handle TOO much more! It certainly outruns any of the three Harleys I used to have. I started riding Harleys after having a BMW K1100 and a Honda VFR 750 (I got off of those before I did myself in).

The Kawasucki 900 should be a hit. Good price point, good size, very good reliablity in the 800, so I'd think the 900 will be good, too. It's harder and harder to get a poorly made bike these days. Competition has been good for everyone. Remember the awful AMF Harleys? Man, they've come a LONG way since those disasterous days.

nice bike! we have a member in our club that ridesa 1500 classic. i remember being behind him while the group merged onto the interstate once. his is bone stock, very quiet. i was surprised on how quickly his bike seemed to get up to speed. if i'm not mistaken though, that dang 1500 mill had close to 100ft lbs of tourqe! lol. everything i have read about the 900 seems nice. full size bike, water cooled, fuel injected, belt drive, plus..a fuel guage! weird, how some bikes omit them, even high priced ones. still waiting to see if it had self adjusting valves, although the salesman thought they would for sure. said they should be getting in some this spring. around 7,500 for the classic, and 8,500 for the LT model, w/ the bags, windshield, backrest. not bad at all. maybe if he gives me a fair trade for the zrx....
dunno.gif
..really need a bike where the wife can come along for a ride or two..although i have a seat where the wife can come along on the sportster, and the wife is small, it's very uncomfortable 2 up for anything over 30~40 miles like that for her. i did ride a vtx1300r and a sabre 1100 recently. believe it or not, i thought the sabre was lots smoother and more comfortable as well. i am built on the weird side though, lol! 6'2", and have a 30" inseam. might have some bearing there. by the way, the fella in the clubs classic is the dark green/ creme? color. very retro looking, and he keeps it pristine.
cheers.gif

for sure. i see you are in south carolina. riders around here and in your state are like children on christmas morning when spring rolls around and riding weather hits. we have been quite lucky here. we have got a some decent rides in considering it's dead winter. the riders in fla, and haw, got it good! i don't own any high tech riding gear, usualy just wearing old sweats under the jeans, etc! lol. got some chaps coming soon that ought to help a bit. ride safe guy.

penzdude, if you are looking to sell your ZRX put it on the ZRXOA "for sale section. There are quite a few guys looking for them now with spring around the corner. I'm sure you would come out ahead of trading it in. I think I'm going to keep my ZRX for ever, it was the bike I couldn't have in high school and it does everything well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back